Just maybe The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it. In real money, Jerry won't owe him anything after this season. However, you'll have hits from his contract in both 25 and 26. This is money that has already been paid that has been pushed down the road. It's just dead cap money. It's 40 mil in 25 and 12 mil in 26 according to spottrac. I think!!!!
That's my understanding as well. Beyond Dak's salary this year, there is no more money going from Jerry to Dak.
But there is a lot of dead cap overhang that will go on the books for cap calculations for the league.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I wasn't. Mazi is a good athlete, but appears to lack lateral agility, the big career killer in the NFL. Straightline athletes will always be limited players. Jeff Heath, for example. May lack instincts, also.
Another Gallimore? If they can put muscle back on him, maybe Zimmer will make a decent 1T out of him. Not what I want out of a 1st round pick, but if you change schemes, you take a hit in personnel.

I'll take UDFAs like Heath all day every day.

Another guy we wasted, IMO. He was really getting a knack for breaking on the ball. As long as we kept him deep playing downhill, he was playing well. Just so dumb when we kept putting him in the box trying to cover *laterally*. I remember him just falling on his *** on one play.

But we still got a lot of mileage out of him. Probably too much. Full time starter and full time core ST one season at least.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Realistically 4-5
That's roughly out of 96 QBs in the league...give or take a few. That's roughly 4%. The chances of any team getting one of those QB is very slim. We have a QB that has the capability to get us there. The key is surrounding him with a complete team that can play consistently every Sunday

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I’m just looking at league wide trends.

Kirk Cousins types on max deals aren’t winning squat.
I get it....but that's just the market. No matter who we get, if he plays to Dak's caliber...he's going to get paid. That's just he way it is.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is an entire new contract....lol.
No poop Popeye.

OK, I'll try again, see if you can follow. On his last contract, Dak held out for max dollars. Exactly what makes you think that isn't the plan once again?

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.
I don't see how the Cowboys get a better QB than Dak. It's back on the QB carousel...most likely for the rest of Jones' life.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get it....but that's just the market. No matter who we get, if he plays to Dak's caliber...he's going to get paid. That's just he way it is.
The Dak experiment has had its time.

We know where it’s going. Time to move on.

This was our year and it was a 1 and done. He’s just not a winner.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
No poop Popeye.

OK, I'll try again, see if you can follow. On his last contract, Dak held out for max dollars. Exactly what makes you think that isn't the plan once again?
Again....you're assuming! You don't have any evidence only of the last contract. Get back with me when you have facts. Chill with the name calling...you don't want that smoke in person so don't do it on your computer.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
The Dak experiment has had its time.

We know where it’s going. Time to move on.

This was our year and it was a 1 and done. He’s just not a winner.
People said that about Manning, Brees and other QBs that took 8-10 years to win a SB. It's only 4 QBs that's won SBs in the last 10 years. You can move on but you don't move on without a plan. I have yet to hear anyone that wants Dak gone have a plan. Cause even before Dak, we haven't won a SB in 21 years. Soooo.....Dak is the best you got right now....period. The chances you get a QB in the draft are so slim.....better chance you set the team back another 10 years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
People said that about Manning, Brees and other QBs that took 8-10 years to win a SB. It's only 4 QBs that's won SBs in the last 10 years. You can move on but you don't move on without a plan. I have yet to hear anyone that wants Dak gone have a plan. Cause even before Dak, we haven't won a SB in 21 years. Soooo.....Dak is the best you got right now....period. The chances you get a QB in the draft are so slim.....better chance you set the team back another 10 years.

Spoiler… This isn’t a Manning or Breese situation.

You have a QB that’s clearly a front runner and when the boat gets a hole or 2 in it he puts more holes in the boat as it’s sinking.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Maybe the Joneses need to come to the conclusion their front office isn't good enough to win one in 28 years. Dak only been here for 7. Good try though....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So dak was "the plan"....how has it worked out? Just cause you have a plan doesnt mean much.

You sound like something ive read here often; a change may or may not work so we better not.

Not sure there was an actual concrete plan when we ditched jg....and i didnt care. Had to make a change.

Dorsett33

Reaction score

You have a QB that’s clearly a front runner and when the boat gets a hole or 2 in it he puts more holes in the boat as it’s sinking.
It kills me when some of you guys only use comparisons when it's to your benefit. But when someone else uses a comparison.....then it's a spoiler alert....lol

Dorsett33

Reaction score
So dak was "the plan"....how has it worked out? Just cause you have a plan doesnt mean much.

You sound like something ive read here often; a change may or may not work so we better not.

Not sure there was an actual concrete plan when we ditched jg....and i didnt care. Had to make a change.
I sound like 'HISTORY'! If some of you dislike it that much....there are 31 other teams you can root for. If you can't get the guts to leave, then quit complaining and root for the darn team. Too many "Debbie Downers" in here

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It kills me when some of you guys only use comparisons when it's to your benefit. But when someone else uses a comparison.....then it's a spoiler alert....lol
Maybe you just said something dumb.

The Dak comparisons are more like Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins.

Not Hall of Famers.

clff15701

Reaction score

Exactly, Dak is like 2-5 or 2-7 in the playoffs. He throws to the other team.