Just say NO to QB at #4

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
OK, someone who knows that history does repeat itself. I'm too old to wait another 20 years for a SB. The next time we are at #4 in the pick could be next year if we do not pick a GOOD replacement this year. After the first 3 or 4 QBs in this draft the talent falls off pretty fast and hoping for a top tier QB when we have to have one could put us in search process that we saw until Romo came along.

Say YES to QB at #4:)

I get it. Trust me. I definitely get it. The rest of these defensive shoppers are rhe ones that needs a little extra understanding. Just say yes to Goff at #4. (Or Wentz). One of those two guys will be there for the taking.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Can't put it off forever. We need a QB of the future. A QB that's going to win number 6, and 7 and more. We need to get that guy at all cost. Can't depend on Tony anymore and this Front Office better have that figured out by now.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
Still awaiting a convincing argument these guys are the real deal.

All I keep reading is "They are QBs, draft them".

THIS!

Some fans keep saying we must take a QB now because of our draft position and Tony's age. Well, I could see their point if there were an Aaron Rodgers/Andrew Luck type prospect in the draft. However, if you take a QB that high just to take a QB, to me, that's a wasted pick.

Just because you have a top 5 pick does not automatically mean you have to take a QB.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Parcells didbt even want Romo on the team. He was going to be cut in 2004 but Carter turned out to be a crackhead. Thats documented by th way look it up.

Payton spent 2 yrs with Romo and i doubt spent much time with him because basically Romo was the 3rd and 4th QB on the team.

Sporano, really? lol

So you want to give credit to these 3 and non to Garrett and Wilson who have been with Romo his whole career. When the other 3 were with him for a couple? Garrett and wilson are more responsible than any coaches in Romo's development.

Romo was already a starter by the time JG and wilson arrived in 2007 after that his play seemed to fall off more than get better.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Frankly I still like Lynch the best of the top three QBs and with all the hype around Geoff and Wentz we might be able to trade down and still nab him.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
NO to Goff.

I was at La Tech when Dykes, who is now the HC at Cal, was the headcoach at La Tech. Tony Franklin is his OC, and Franklin runs all kinds of QB workshops and does a lot of HS consulting in his free time. Has anyone here heard of Colby Cameron? Exactly. He was La Tech's QB in 2012, when Tech was under consideration for the Orange Bowl and ran the #1 offense in the country at something like 50 points per game. Cameron was a former WR who Dykes used as a QB.

What I am saying is, it doesn't matter about what Goff did at Cal. He comes from a super QB friendly spread offense. Put him in a pro style offense and make him make real reads, or put him under center, and it all falls apart. Dykes runs an offense of smoke, mirrors, spacing and speed. That doesn't work as well in the NFL. Give me a QB who has seen what a pro set looks like.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
And when Goff or Wentz turn out to be JAGS, not the answer at QB, will you still think the selection at 4 was the smart move? None of these guys were rated at the top of boards throughout the year. Almost every draft guru said that Goff and Lynch should have returned to school, that neither is ready. Now Wentz is the golden boy of the moment. You can be sure that reports Dallas scouts knew about him and were hoping he wouldn't blow up like this is because they were considering him at 34, not at 4.

I don't pretend to know much, but I have seen games of all three, and what I saw didn't remind me of the big time QBs we are used to seeing in the top 3-4 picks of the draft. These guys are not top 5 talent.

Cossell put out a report that he feels Goff is a better talent than Jameis Winston was coming out of college.

I share that same sentiment and if Goff is available at # 4 I would be very happy to take him.

Any other QB at #4 I wouldn't touch. Wentz is way overhyped IMHO.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Have to agree with you, Heard a stat the other day about drafting franchise QBs...they said 84% of Franchise QB's are drafted in the Top 10. That percentage severally gets worse in the later rounds. Its not impossible but teams have to get lucky to hit on a successful QB's like Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Dereck Carr.....more misses than success....If the Cowboys like one of these top QB's they need to pull the trigger.

I would also argue, without stats, that we are seeing more and more QBs being successful lower in round 1 and the top half of round two than ever before as more and more colleges pass first instead of running the option or other power offenses. Those QBs throughout the draft seem better and better prepared with the new concern being the spread offenses where they pass 35-40 times a game but without making many reads.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Cossell put out a report that he feels Goff is a better talent than Jameis Winston was coming out of college.

I share that same sentiment and if Goff is available at # 4 I would be very happy to take him.

Any other QB at #4 I wouldn't touch. Wentz is way overhyped IMHO.

If he's better than Winston, then I'm all for it too, as Winston was much better from day one than most thought he'd be. I hope such reports are true

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just say no to QB because I lack any vision, patience and must see a crisis before I know there's a problem.

Let our poor front office find the hardest player to find in all of sports when they absolutely have to have one.

Go Cowboys. Which cornerbacks do you guys like?

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
If he's better than Winston, then I'm all for it too, as Winston was much better from day one than most thought he'd be. I hope such reports are true

Winston was good right out of the box, but he also walked onto a team with an outstanding QB coach that was his OC an now his HC. Coaching is a big difference in a getting a young QB ...NFL ready.. That is my biggest concern with the Cowboys drafting a QB...will they/can they do what is necessary to get a young QB ready...

Reactions: BAT

Fredd

Reaction score
Bosa in first, see what is there in the 2nd (BPA), use our 3rd rounder to trade back into 2nd to draft Cook @ QB

fishspill

Reaction score
THIS!

Some fans keep saying we must take a QB now because of our draft position and Tony's age. Well, I could see their point if there were an Aaron Rodgers/Andrew Luck type prospect in the draft. However, if you take a QB that high just to take a QB, to me, that's a wasted pick.

Just because you have a top 5 pick does not automatically mean you have to take a QB.

A lot of fans and FO of 22 teams thought Rodgers wasn't worth their slot in the 1st which is why he went 24 and Green Bay has been playoff contenders since then. Heck, the Cowboys whiffed twice at getting him.

RS12

Reaction score
i laugh when people say this team cant develop a QB but JG and Wilson have been with Romo all but one of the yrs he's started. Romo was a INT magnet but with 2012 disaster aside Romo has been good with the ball. In Romos first 3 yrs he threw 46 INTS and 21 fumbles 2 of them with Garrett and Wilson. IN the 7 yrs since he has 71 ints and 18 fumbles. 19 ints and 3 fumbles came in 2012. So 20% of that total since came in 1 yr. This coaching staff has developed one of the best QBs in this league.

David Lee is one of the best in the business. He took Romo from raw to NFL QB which is the hardest part. Doubt it's a coincidence Tyrod Taylor made the Pro Bowl this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Lee is one of the best in the business. He took Romo from raw to NFL QB which is the hardes tpart. Doubt it's a coincidence Tyrod Taylor made the Pro Bowl this year.

Yeah, neither Garrett or Wilson had much to do with Romo's development.

But when you want to support the management/coaches side of this team, you pretty much have to stretch the truth.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Goff--Wentz--Lynch

Last year all three would have been drafted behind Winston and Marietta. Any of these guys could develop into a quality starting QB in 2-3 years. Any could be career backups. Time for the hype to end.

Romo is not old. According to reports and himself, his back and core are stronger than ever. A collar bone is a collar bone; I've never heard of a career ending due to a collar bone. Tony Romo's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

No one drafts a QB in the top five picks to sit behind a franchise QB for 2-3 years or longer. Even NE has planned twice to prepare for Brady's retirement, but never at the top. All this talk is just foolishness. Draft a super blue-chip defender at #4 or trade down for multiple picks and turn those into DL, LB, DB, and pick up a developmental QB, RB, and WR in middle rounds.

It's too early to pass on impact players who can help a legitimate playoff team with Romo and Dez healthy to take a talented, but developmental QB and sit him on the bench. Sorry, no way I'm buying that move. I hope the hype for all three QBs goes through the roof so that Dallas gets some great trade offers to think about vs a blue-chip defender.

[1] Most drafted QB could be a carerr back up with out hind sight
[2] Romo is football old, he'll last another few years.
[3] We take a good to good QB when you can you dont pass em up.
[4] You cant compare the QB position to any other position .Its a different value to the team.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Just wait until the combine. This is nothing.

Yeah it will get old fast. ESPN will focus on QB's the entire time. It will be as if there is no other position in football. They will have 5 QB's in the top 10 by the time Gruden finishes his whipping of a show about QB's.

If Goff is the highest rated player on your board at 4 and he is there, take him.
If you trade down and Wentz or Lynch is the highest rated player on the board when your pick comes along, take him.

Otherwise improve the rest of the team or it wont matter who the QB is. IN the future don't give a huge contract to a QB through the age of 40, Ridiculous.

QB, QB, QB all the time. This team has gaping holes all over the place. We need a DE, We need at least one and maybe two DT's, we need a RB, We need a MLB, we need a WR, we need a SS, we need at least one and probably two CB's, We might need a C, we might need a G, we might need a RT but all we talk about is finding a player to develop at QB with the no 4 pick.

This team needs a talent infusion in the worst way and that no 4 pick is gold. If you think your future franchise QB is there then take him. But don't reach because you HAVE TO HAVE A QB. All IMO.