Just say NO to QB at #4

MrPhil

Reaction score
Still awaiting a convincing argument these guys are the real deal.

All I keep reading is "They are QBs, draft them".

There are no guaranteed "real deals". None. Draft projections are based on a painstaking and IMPERFECT scouting process. Projecting player's potential in the NFL is obviously part of that process.

Is Jared Goff a guaranteed franchise QB? NOPE.
Is Myles Jack a guaranteed All Pro LB? NOPE.
Is Jalen Ramsey a guaranteed All Pro CB or S? NOPE.
Is Joey Bosa a guaranteed All Pro DE? NOPE.

Could Dallas get better at the positions listed above? Yes, absolutely. All of them.

Are all of the above players generally listed as Top 5 prospects? Based on what I am seeing, yes they are.

In my opinion, QB is the most important position on the field. You don't get far in the NFL without a good one as we all saw this year. If you have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB when your current QB's career is winding down, you take it. If you don't rate any of the QBs worthy of that spot, so be it. Draft something else.

I want whomever Dallas picks at #4 to be successful and will support whomever that is because we need help all over place. Hypothetically though, if you have all of the above positions or players available at #4 and all generally rank in that area then I draft the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There are no guaranteed "real deals". None. Draft projections are based on a painstaking and IMPERFECT scouting process. Projecting player's potential in the NFL is obviously part of that process.

Is Jared Goff a guaranteed franchise QB? NOPE.
Is Myles Jack a guaranteed All Pro LB? NOPE.
Is Jalen Ramsey a guaranteed All Pro CB or S? NOPE.
Is Joey Bosa a guaranteed All Pro DE? NOPE.

Could Dallas get better at the positions listed above? Yes, absolutely. All of them.

Are all of the above players generally listed as Top 5 prospects? Based on what I am seeing, yes they are.

In my opinion, QB is the most important position on the field. You don't get far in the NFL without a good one as we all saw this year. If you have the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB when your current QB's career is winding down, you take it. If you don't rate any of the QBs worthy of that spot, so be it. Draft something else.

I want whomever Dallas picks at #4 to be successful and will support whomever that is because we need help all over place. Hypothetically though, if you have all of the above positions or players available at #4 and all generally rank in that area then I draft the QB.

At this point I want to trade out if I can't get Wentz.

The top of this draft is so blah that I would rather acquire a lot of picks.

quantity > quality as far as the first few rounds of this draft goes.

MrPhil

Reaction score

Depending on who is available at #4, I could support a trade down. That would put guys like Lynch, Elliott (whom I love but think #4 is too high), Alexander (sorry Risen), Robinson, Smith, Billings into play and get us an extra pick, probably in round 2.

I admit that I am not even a couch scout but, I do love the idea of getting a potential, future franchise QB to develop. If not, and in looking at the rankings, it has to be defense (where we do need help) or a trade down.

Verdict

Reaction score
Some of these points are silly.

For example, New England has never planned for a Brady replacement at the top because......................... THEY NEVER PICK AT THE TOP OF THE DRAFT.\

You take the BPA at 4. If the Cowboys think Goff or Wentz is the 4th best player or highest player on their board at 4, you take him. If the 4th best player on the board is Jack and he's there, then you take him. Or you survey your board and see some players you love still there and think you can trade back to get even more value at 4.

But the dumbest logic IMO would be to love one of the QBs at 4 but pass on him under some flawed logic that you shouldn't take a QB at 4 to sit him for 2 or 3 years.

You take the best player at that spot. If it's a QB, then you take the damn QB. Don't overthink this.

Sound thinking. You take BPA at #4. If the next Tony Romo/John Elway/Dan Marino/Joe Montana is available at #1 overall, and there is not another substitute available then go up and get him. But don't take a QB at #4, just because you feel like you have to. If there is no QB worth the pick, then don't force a QB pick at #4.

Verdict

Reaction score
OK, someone who knows that history does repeat itself. I'm too old to wait another 20 years for a SB. The next time we are at #4 in the pick could be next year if we do not pick a GOOD replacement this year. After the first 3 or 4 QBs in this draft the talent falls off pretty fast and hoping for a top tier QB when we have to have one could put us in search process that we saw until Romo came along.

Say YES to QB at #4:)

If we don't win the super bowl next year, I hope we draft at #1 overall next year!!!!!

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Sound thinking. You take BPA at #4. If the next Tony Romo/John Elway/Dan Marino/Joe Montana is available at #1 overall, and there is not another substitute available then go up and get him. But don't take a QB at #4, just because you feel like you have to. If there is no QB worth the pick, then don't force a QB pick at #4.

Didn't know they were the only ones who had successful NFL careers at qb.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry, but we spent the last twenty years trying to get that flash player right now and neglecting the future. Not getting a QB at #4 is like irresponsible IMO. One way I might be ok with not grabbing a QB at #4 is picking up Carson Wentz with 2nd rounder, but as others have stated, he might not drop that low. Your original thread suggested his collar bone was the sole reason we consider him getting "old". No, not just 3 collarbone breaks, but also 2 (TWO) back surgeries. We all hear 2 years left for Romo, sometimes 3, but he may not even make it another year.

We finally did a smart thing the past 3 years by grabbing quality Olinemen but unfortunately for Romo, it may be little too late for him. To neglect our teams future going elsewhere this draft is doing same ol same ol that we have been seeing for 20 years.

And I am not buying the few out there who say Lynch and Goff not ready, but if they aren't then they may have a little time to learn behind Romo in the meantime.

Actually, not getting Romo's successor is a trade off. Like all issues, they cannot be viewed in a vacuum. Even if the Cowboys determined that Romo's successor needs to be in place NOW, it does not mean that the Cowboys must or even should draft his successor at the 4th pick. That is totally irresponsible thinking in the same way that it is irresponsible to totally neglect the position. Drafting a QB at #4 (or even #1 overall) doesn't guarantee a can't miss prospect at the position.

Availability doesn't always match up with need, or draft position. That is why teams move around so much in the draft, to attempt to match need with availability. If the next Peyton Manning or Brady, or even Romo are available at #4, then by all means, pull the trigger. But drafting the next Ryan Leaf at #4, is just wasting draft collateral that we really can't afford to just piss off. Spending a high pick on a QB and missing sets you back just as much, if not more than not drafting one at all, because it can deter a team from bailing on a bad pick and selecting another QB.

Keep in mind that it took Brees several years to actually turn into a stud QB, and the Chargers selected his successor and were ready to move on from him before he finally turned it on.

Verdict

Reaction score
Parcells didbt even want Romo on the team. He was going to be cut in 2004 but Carter turned out to be a crackhead. Thats documented by th way look it up.

Payton spent 2 yrs with Romo and i doubt spent much time with him because basically Romo was the 3rd and 4th QB on the team.

Sporano, really? lol

So you want to give credit to these 3 and non to Garrett and Wilson who have been with Romo his whole career. When the other 3 were with him for a couple? Garrett and wilson are more responsible than any coaches in Romo's development.

Actually that is only partially accurate. Parcells kept saying don't sleep on this Romo kid and the media scoffed over it because Romo was an UDFA. But it is true that Romo was in danger of getting cut, largely because of his lack of pedigree. It is that short sighted thinking that really hurts a team. We have been lulled into thinking that franchise QB's only come high in the draft and that is a fallacy. The truth is players that get drafted high get more opportunities to succeed in part because the people that selected them don't want to be proven wrong. If Troy Aikman had been an UDFA he might have been abandoned after his early failures and history might be much different. Romo is arguably a much more effective QB than Aikman ever was.

Reaction score
That's what will happen after romo that's why most hope romo stays healthy. Dallas will be terrible for many years post romo.

It doesn't have to be that way. If you have a QB groomed and ready to go when Romo hangs it up, the transition can be much smoother. But it will require the executives to plan ahead. I'm not sure they know how to do that.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Actually, not getting Romo's successor is a trade off. Like all issues, they cannot be viewed in a vacuum. Even if the Cowboys determined that Romo's successor needs to be in place NOW, it does not mean that the Cowboys must or even should draft his successor at the 4th pick. That is totally irresponsible thinking in the same way that it is irresponsible to totally neglect the position. Drafting a QB at #4 (or even #1 overall) doesn't guarantee a can't miss prospect at the position.

Availability doesn't always match up with need, or draft position. That is why teams move around so much in the draft, to attempt to match need with availability. If the next Peyton Manning or Brady, or even Romo are available at #4, then by all means, pull the trigger. But drafting the next Ryan Leaf at #4, is just wasting draft collateral that we really can't afford to just piss off. Spending a high pick on a QB and missing sets you back just as much, if not more than not drafting one at all, because it can deter a team from bailing on a bad pick and selecting another QB.

Keep in mind that it took Brees several years to actually turn into a stud QB, and the Chargers selected his successor and were ready to move on from him before he finally turned it on.

I agree pretty much, but we can argue that for any and all pick selections. We obviously have to do much better than we have been in the research department. My argument is we cannot ignore the position any longer. Have to find THE GUY so team needs to get it right.

jnday

Reaction score
Actually that is only partially accurate. Parcells kept saying don't sleep on this Romo kid and the media scoffed over it because Romo was an UDFA. But it is true that Romo was in danger of getting cut, largely because of his lack of pedigree. It is that short sighted thinking that really hurts a team. We have been lulled into thinking that franchise QB's only come high in the draft and that is a fallacy. The truth is players that get drafted high get more opportunities to succeed in part because the people that selected them don't want to be proven wrong. If Troy Aikman had been an UDFA he might have been abandoned after his early failures and history might be much different. Romo is arguably a much more effective QB than Aikman ever was.

I think Aikman's Super Bowls waseffective as things get.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
everyone should already know what I want at #4 or how ever we can get him, I want that premier RB, the top rated RB Elliot, I do not understand why the RB position is being devalued now days, when in the post season you need to have a running game to advance, most of the time. Our offense is based on the running game, get that RB and we will be right back on point. DMC will not hold up again we got lucky this past season, it will not happen again

If I am taking a RB at pick 4, he dam well better be Barry Sanders 2.0

I don't see any Barry Sanders in this draft, in fact I don't see any Todd Gurly's in this draft either.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

The problem is that other teams scout also...............if we think the top of this draft is blah, why would other teams not think the same thing?

Ergo, its going to be hard to find a trade partner if none of these top QBs grade out. What we need is for somebody to fall in love with one of these QBs, that is about the only position that you give up extra premium picks for.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Parcells didbt even want Romo on the team. He was going to be cut in 2004 but Carter turned out to be a crackhead. Thats documented by th way look it up.

Payton spent 2 yrs with Romo and i doubt spent much time with him because basically Romo was the 3rd and 4th QB on the team.

Sporano, really? lol

So you want to give credit to these 3 and non to Garrett and Wilson who have been with Romo his whole career. When the other 3 were with him for a couple? Garrett and wilson are more responsible than any coaches in Romo's development.

one could also say they are "more responsible than any coaches" in the beating Romo has taken as a pocket QB as opposed to
the roll out QB he was early on, and also for having the bad games where he threw many int's, and the poor playoff performances.

And only few times getting to the playoffs.
JG and Wilson got handed a great QB, and proceeded to wear him out, and not winning much in the ....."Process"
JG has been offensive HC since 2007 and is responsible for Romo never getting a chance at a NFC championship game, much less
a SB.
I doubt he ever gets that chance, with JG here.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The main thing about this draft is we have the # 4 overall pick in each round.
Odds are dallas wont draft this high again for the next 2-3 years.

So if they are going to draft a QB now is the time. Wentz has good size, and is smart, and RKG, so JG should like him.
I havent seen any of these guys play so I dont really know.

I do know any player picked at # 4 could be a bust, as some have said there is no guarantee.

the cowboys hopefully get a non bust and good player in all 3 rounds.

I would rather have wentz as the # 2 QB than a vet QB like JF or RG3.
If he is good enough to draft that high he should be able to step in if needed and win some games.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
one could also say they are "more responsible than any coaches" in the beating Romo has taken as a pocket QB as opposed to
the roll out QB he was early on, and also for having the bad games where he threw many int's, and the poor playoff performances.

And only few times getting to the playoffs.
JG and Wilson got handed a great QB, and proceeded to wear him out, and not winning much in the ....."Process"
JG has been offensive HC since 2007 and is responsible for Romo never getting a chance at a NFC championship game, much less
a SB.
I doubt he ever gets that chance, with JG here.

he was a great QB after starting 10 games?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Goff--Wentz--Lynch

Last year all three would have been drafted behind Winston and Marietta. Any of these guys could develop into a quality starting QB in 2-3 years. Any could be career backups. Time for the hype to end.

Dallas gets some great trade offers to think about vs a blue-chip defender.

bodi

Reaction score
NOW, it does not mean that the Cowboys must or even should draft his successor at the 4th pick. That is totally irresponsible thinking in the same way that it is irresponsible to totally neglect the position. Drafting a QB at #4 (or even #1 overall) doesn't guarantee a can't miss prospect at the position.

Selecting Wentz with their first selection next April could be the smartest thing Jones has ever done since making his first ever draft selection in Troy Aikman back in 1989.

This move could end up backfiring, as it could with any other player at any other position, let alone another passer.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

If the draft is blah, why would you want to trade back. I would much rather grab the Top 4 guy than to get 2 blah guys. I still have 34 to get another starter.

I like 4-34-68 better than
15-34-43-68-75

if it means getting our next QB