Just so we’re clear once and for all, Garrett likely isn’t going to be fired

Flamma

Reaction score
His contract expires in 14 days and the most likely scenario is that it simply isn’t renewed. We save no money by terminating him over the next two weeks. None of that prevents us from interviewing and hiring someone else prior to that.

Im surprised this fairly straight forward and obvious information is being so overlooked by fans and the media a like. Everyone being so up in arms he hasn’t been “fired” is silly.

Garrett has made it clear he still wants to coach. By parting ways with Garrett now, it gives him the best chance at finding employment elsewhere while teams are looking. By waiting it hurts Garrett's chances. The only logical explanation that no one wants to hear is that he is seriously considering extending Garrett. With each passing day that becomes more likely, not less.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We"....don't HAVE to think ANYTHING through. "We"...are free to be fans as we want. "fan" short for fanatics or fanatical. Up to and including being a lunatic pom-pom waving rose glasses wearing, blue and silver makeup having dork.

People that try to present their fandom as completely logical and objective at every turn can be very annoying, as if the fate of the team rests with their opinions and "decisions".....like obsessive egotistic fantasy team players. Sure....some reality and levity is a good thing in anything we do...but battling about it on an internet sports forum? Weird.

Have some fun.
Okay, as a fan you don't HAVE to think it through. You have the right to be as irrational and illogical as you would like. However, if you want to be taken seriously, and want to make a point, you have to maintain some level of reason and logic. Being irrational and illogical contributes nothing to this site, and diminishes or eliminates credibility.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
His contract expires in 14 days and the most likely scenario is that it simply isn’t renewed. We save no money by terminating him over the next two weeks. None of that prevents us from interviewing and hiring someone else prior to that.

Im surprised this fairly straight forward and obvious information is being so overlooked by fans and the media a like. Everyone being so up in arms he hasn’t been “fired” is silly.
the fans just want garrett fired. even if its on the 13th. they just want to feel good about it and their anger towards garrett.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the fans just want garrett fired. even if its on the 13th. they just want to feel good about it and their anger towards garrett.
But why are they angry at Garrett? He wasn't the coach we needed, but that's the case with a lot of coaches on a lot of teams. Jerry is the one to be angry at for holding on with Garrett so long.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But why are they angry at Garrett? He wasn't the coach we needed, but that's the case with a lot of coaches on a lot of teams. Jerry is the one to be angry at for holding on with Garrett so long.

I get you and me don;t see eye to eye....looks like our agendas clash. But.....they are mad at Garrett for having such great talent and investment and tenure...and wasting it.

if it was Jerry's job to fire garret 5 years ago....what difference does that make? In reality....most ARE mad at Jerry. You can be mad at both, you know.

But hey....you're the kind of fan who needs to dictate to other fans how to be fans...and that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid. You said yourself.....some BS about "football IQ". And yet somehow your personal Lombardi is M.I.A.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get you and me don;t see eye to eye....looks like our agendas clash. But.....they are mad at Garrett for having such great talent and investment and tenure...and wasting it.

if it was Jerry's job to fire garret 5 years ago....what difference does that make? In reality....most ARE mad at Jerry. You can be mad at both, you know.

But hey....you're the kind of fan who needs to dictate to other fans how to be fans...and that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid. You said yourself.....some BS about "football IQ". And yet somehow your personal Lombardi is M.I.A.

No, Jerry wasted it. You don't get mad at a guy for working hard and trying to make good things happen, but just not having quite the aptitude and talent for the job. He believes he can do the job and is doing what he can based on what he thinks is right. The guy to blame is the one that has to evaluate that guy and decide if what he is doing is good enough. That's on Jerry.

We all know people in our personal and work lives that we feel didn't do as much with their resources as someone else might have, but we don't get ticked off at them as long as they were trying, and we accept that some people just don't have as much aptitude as another person might. At that point, if we are in control, we simply make a business or personal decision that more success is likely with another person, and make the change without any need for animosity.

And that's the smart approach that is likely to yield a better result in the future. The decision shouldn't be about anger or vengeance or whatever personal affront a fan can conjure up in his mind, it's a business decision based on trying to improve talent at the coaching position.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I for one remain convinced that Garrett's committed to being a coach, not a suit.

Then again, what do I know?

I was also convinced that if Garrett failed to make the NFC CG in 2019, he would be let go, no doubt about it.

Could this be 78 year-old Jerry surmising that it's time for him to truly step out of the equation, and inviting his adopted son to take his seat beside his bio son in running the team?

If so, is that a turn of events that the Jerry haters will widely embrace? Or do they despise Jason more than Jerry?

Never a dull moment. Or, hardly ever at least.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Jerry wasted it. You don't get mad at a guy for working hard and trying to make good things happen, but just not having quite the aptitude and talent for the job. He believes he can do the job and is doing what he can based on what he thinks is right. The guy to blame is the one that has to evaluate that guy and decide if what he is doing is good enough. That's on Jerry.

We all know people in our personal and work lives that we feel didn't do as much with their resources as someone else might have, but we don't get ticked off at them as long as they were trying, and we accept that some people just don't have as much aptitude as another person might. At that point, if we are in control, we simply make a business or personal decision that more success is likely with another person, and make the change without any need for animosity.

And that's the smart approach that is likely to yield a better result in the future. The decision shouldn't be about anger or vengeance or whatever personal affront a fan can conjure up in his mind, it's a business decision based on trying to improve talent at the coaching position.

Sorry buddy. If you have a certain level of IQ..... given AND accept an opportunity to excel for the BEST ever...and you make almost zero progress in ten years? You're gonna get some blame.

You just KEEP making excuses for CERTAIN people to suit your agenda...under the guise of being SO VERY hi IQ, logical, and objective...and it's a bunch of horse sheet.

But you keep doing what makes you feel so much more superior to others. You and your Lombardi trophy, lol.

leeblair

Reaction score
Not giving him a new contract is pretty much the same thing..lol

I really dont care what people want to call it as long as that clown is gone
I'd be satisfied with a public announcement that Jason has been informed that the Cowboys have no intention of renewing his contract.
Just get on with it.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'd be satisfied with a public announcement that Jason has been informed that the Cowboys have no intention of renewing his contract.
Just get on with it.

Jerry said a guy who started the business can't fire himself. The remedy then Jerry? Is just retire and name a replacement. Problem solved. That's the public announcement I can't wait to hear:bow:

CB61

Reaction score

Two weeks pay wouldn't be that much anyway Garrett's not hurting for money I don't think

CB61

Reaction score
I would imagine the announcement and new hire will all be done between Thursday and next Monday.
So that would mean he'd already casted his wide net a while ago?

Brax

Reaction score

So you are saying that Jerry is punishing Jason (the one he loves like a son) by letting the contract run out and not letting him go thus preventing Jason from interviewing for the job openings unit the 15th? Don't forget Jerry said 6 or 7 teams would want him if available.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score

that doesn’t jive with Garett being a person they care for because then it prevents Garett from trying to latch on to another team and every day is critical for that , so no I dont agree with your assessment .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Other coaches would be reluctant to interview until Garrett's official status has been announced.

He could technically remain under contract but the team needs to officially announce that he will not return. Some coaches would interview now but most will NOT interview until Garrett is announced as NOT returning.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry buddy. If you have a certain level of IQ..... given AND accept an opportunity to excel for the BEST ever...and you make almost zero progress in ten years? You're gonna get some blame.

You just KEEP making excuses for CERTAIN people to suit your agenda...under the guise of being SO VERY hi IQ, logical, and objective...and it's a bunch of horse sheet.

But you keep doing what makes you feel so much more superior to others. You and your Lombardi trophy, lol.
I didn’t say he shouldn’t get blame. If I were saying that why would I want him replaced? In fact, I’ve specifically said he wasn’t up to the job. But blame and animosity are different things, and imagining a fantasy grudge is something else still.

What you are talking about is like harboring animosity toward Maliek Collins because he doesn’t have as much talent as Aaron Donald, which, obviously, is ridiculous. You can’t reasonably be angry at Collins simply because he wasn’t blessed at birth with the same talent level. The response is simply to make an unemotional decision to try and find someone to fill the position that does have the talent level you want.

The same applies to a coach. A coach can sincerely and earnestly work at his job, but if he simply doesn’t have the aptitude that someone else has, that doesn’t mean he has conducted himself in a manner that is worthy of scorn. And, again, the appropriate response it’s to make an unemotional decision to find someone else to fill the role that is better suited for the job.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t say he shouldn’t get blame. If I were saying that why would I want him replaced? In fact, I’ve specifically said he wasn’t up to the job. But blame and animosity are different things, and imagining a fantasy grudge is something else still.

What you are talking about is like harboring animosity toward Maliek Collins because he doesn’t have as much talent as Aaron Donald, which, obviously, is ridiculous. You can’t reasonably be angry at Collins simply because he wasn’t blessed at birth with the same talent level. The response is simply to make an unemotional decision to try and find someone to fill the position that does have the talent level you want.

The same applies to a coach. A coach can sincerely and earnestly work at his job, but if he simply doesn’t have the aptitude that someone else has, that doesn’t mean he has conducted himself in a manner that is worthy of scorn. And, again, the appropriate response it’s to make an unemotional decision to find someone else to fill the role that is better suited for the job.

We'll never agree about this. Look I get your theory. I have...well had.... a cousin with Downs. He was an amazing human being that overachieved. So cut this CRAP trying to explain to ME about achieving beyond your expectations.

.Garret not only AGREED to be APT for the job, very high standards...so you better feel like your are qualified. ...but had TEN YEARS to do something....at least twice as much as most coaches in the same position.

He had every chance to turn it down or bail out...but he kept USING the good graces and faults of the owner. If he feels OUT of his League...not capable...then bail out. NOPE...he kept sucking off the teat. So ...fk your stupid theory.....Garret gets as much blame and more.