Just start over

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap is about to drop, and NFL teams seem to be tiring of high-priced middling veteran players that are constantly nursing injuries and making very little impact on season results.

I believe, like many others do, that we are about to see a sea of salary dumps in the NFL in the coming weeks.

I think Dallas needs to be one of those teams.

Big contracts don't make sense on below average football teams. When you're this bad defensively, and your offense is this inefficient at scoring touchdowns, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Keep the young studs you have, but look to trade or dump everybody else. Start over.

My fan side wants to go after Stafford or Rodgers, then try to nab some key defensive guys that are available. But that doesn't really make sense.

This is a fractured and dysfunctional franchise that needs to be honest with itself for once. This team isn't likable in the least. It doesn't really care. The best players are not the most committed players. It's a house of cards 365 days a year.

End this.

What do you call hiring a new coaching staff and then dumping most of the Defensive coaches after 1 season?

They really only have 1 big contract that other teams would not take if the Cowboys wanted to trade the player for a 7th round pick.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Because you don't have to sign players at the same salary they were dumped.

Attendance next year is not assured. The salary cap is dropping. Teams are looking to get a lot lighter.
If we are trading them to someone they get the same salary that they had unless they're going to be open to renegotiate and why would they renegotiate if they're going to end up being dumped and can negotiate with 32 teams?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
1. A sports team is no different than a business. What are you, 12?! The NFL doesn't exist for recreation. The Cowboys aren't playing sports for fun. The players aren't playing football because they like to. It's a job for a business like any other. Acting like players have some kind of selfless duty to their fans, franchise, or owners is complete and total garbage. Especially so because both fans and the franchise will drop players like a bad habit the second they become unproductive, unprofitable, or old.

2. So because they're making so much money, they shouldn't want what they're worth? I would agree that, on the surface, 'I need an extra 2 million' would seem greedy to most people, if the owners--and really, the super wealthy class in general--werent also trying to maximize their already insane wealth. The super wealthy are constantly trying to evade taxes, crush competition, pay their workers on the cheap, so they can grow their vast sums of money.

But the second a player asks for more, and it's usually someone who came from nothing or very little wealth, fans have the nerve to call them greedy. For asking for a bigger piece of the pie from their owners who are, let's be honest, eating the whole thing

O boy lol I guess the 12 yr old will have to school you.
A sports team is no different than a business.......yes it is, although it is a business , the main focus is to win championships.

The NFL doesn't exist for recreation...... yes it does, for all the fans owners and players. When the league started, all the way thru the 70's the owners
struggled to get by, some operated at a loss. The owners did it for guess what ?? RECREATION!! they liked the sport and did it for fun.
Back then players played because they liked it, most had other jobs in off season.

The players aren't playing football because they like to....... yes they do, most of them anyway, they want the money too, but they like playing.
Brady plays at age 43 and he does not need any money, so why do you think he is still playing ??:huh:

Acting like players have some kind of selfless duty to their fans, franchise, or owners is complete and total garbage......yes they do,how much so varies
with each player.

because both fans and the franchise will drop players like a bad habit the second they become unproductive, unprofitable, or old....... this is partly true, but fans
will love certain players forever. Teams have to drop players that are unproductive, it is the nature of the sport, but it isnt like they are suddenly homeless.
Most are millionaires and can easily get a high paying job on sports networks.

2. So because they're making so much money, they shouldn't want what they're worth? I would agree that, on the surface, 'I need an extra 2 million' would seem greedy to most people, if the owners--and really, the super wealthy class in general--werent also trying to maximize their already insane wealth. The super wealthy are constantly trying to evade taxes, crush competition, pay their workers on the cheap, so they can grow their vast sums of money.........I agree
with most of this, but the cap is what restricts how much a player can be paid. That has nothing to do with the owners and how much money they have.
Extremely wealthy people are greedy, they usually screw people to get wealthy, and they get obsessed with having money and especially making more money
even though they have more than they need. So yeah they are greedy pigs lol.
But here is one thing people like you dont see, When the stars on a team demand the big paydays and get it, that means less money for the other players.
Some wont be kept, others will have to sign cheaper deal etc. So the big stars actually are taking away money from the lower level guys.
It doesnt affect the owners at all because of the cap.

But the second a player asks for more, and it's usually someone who came from nothing or very little wealth, fans have the nerve to call them greedy. For asking for a bigger piece of the pie from their owners who are, let's be honest, eating the whole thing...... this kinda say you just dont understand the cap.
what I said above answers this. But yeah the rich get richer, thats always true, and some players come from poor backgrounds, and some dont.
Mahomes is from a wealthy family, many are from families who are not poor. Many had athlete dads, so they had money.
And it comes back to this, it is players wanting more than they are worth, or the max amount of the market that fans dont like.
Like dak, he deserved a payday, but how much money did he deserve? What would be a fair amount? He got 32 million last year just in salary alone,
plus endorsement money, he lives in a mansion with his own football field. I think he earned that, since he played pretty good for 4 years on a cheap salary.
But now he has gotten greedy, he should have signed the 5 year deal for 35 mil a year, there is nothing wrong with that.
I dont think he is worth that much, but he wanted to get a 4 year deal so he could sign another deal 4 years later with a much higher cap.
But now that cap has gone down and may stay down for years.
And it was sheer greed that he didnt sign that deal. I dont hate him for that, it is his choice, and he has to deal with the consequences.
If the cowboys were to cut him now, I doubt any team would offer him 35 mil a year at this point with a lower cap. And that would be on him.

ESisback

Reaction score
I dont see it in 2021 But possibly in 2022
As bad as our defense was, a handful of plays separated us from 2 or 3 more wins, putting us in the playoffs. 98% sure we’d have lost in the playoffs, but... The Giants went to the SB twice as a 9-7 sixth seed. Anything’s possible if you get hot, any given Sunday, yada yada yada...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What do you call hiring a new coaching staff and then dumping most of the Defensive coaches after 1 season?

They really only have 1 big contract that other teams would not take if the Cowboys wanted to trade the player for a 7th round pick.
Haven't seen you around in a bit, big guy.
Great to see you okay and active.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The salary cap is about to drop, and NFL teams seem to be tiring of high-priced middling veteran players that are constantly nursing injuries and making very little impact on season results.

I believe, like many others do, that we are about to see a sea of salary dumps in the NFL in the coming weeks.

Big contracts don't make sense on below average football teams. When you're this bad defensively, and your offense is this inefficient at scoring touchdowns, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Keep the young studs you have, but look to trade or dump everybody else. Start over.

My fan side wants to go after Stafford or Rodgers, then try to nab some key defensive guys that are available. But that doesn't really make sense.

This is a fractured and dysfunctional franchise that needs to be honest with itself for once. This team isn't likable in the least. It doesn't really care. The best players are not the most committed players. It's a house of cards 365 days a year.

End this.

What a great idea!

Let's trade away every quality piece this team has. Zeke, Martin, Collins, Smith, McGovern, all three receivers. Vander Esch, Diggs. Let Dak walk.

Put in Dinooch. Search the practice squads and walk-ons for the OL.

Spend the next five years going 2-14 to 0-16. Clear the cap and take up all the booty we got for our players and start drafting top flight talent.

If you look at the Browns, they have a bunch of first rounders on their team. Back in the day I read an article which stated the Ravens had more first rounders on their team than any other team. They stunk on ice, but that next year they won it all.

Just gut this team, start trading away draft picks so the Cowboys can parley them into top of the first picks and load up.

I mean I have another six years or so to wait. I'm old. And when I say I'm old, I call men in their late fifties sonny boy.

So sure, lets just gut this baby and rebuild for the next six to ten years. I just hope the matron who changes my diapers understands to DVR that part of the game we miss when she is cleaning me up, or at least waits until a commercial.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
IF everything falls their way, they can contend in 2021! Probably won’t happen, but there’s always a chance, isn’t there?
They'll be contenders when least expected & shock the world. Just a matter of time.

fivetwos

Reaction score
O boy lol I guess the 12 yr old will have to school you.
A sports team is no different than a business.......yes it is, although it is a business , the main focus is to win championships.

The NFL doesn't exist for recreation...... yes it does, for all the fans owners and players. When the league started, all the way thru the 70's the owners
struggled to get by, some operated at a loss. The owners did it for guess what ?? RECREATION!! they liked the sport and did it for fun.
Back then players played because they liked it, most had other jobs in off season.

The players aren't playing football because they like to....... yes they do, most of them anyway, they want the money too, but they like playing.
Brady plays at age 43 and he does not need any money, so why do you think he is still playing ??:huh:

Acting like players have some kind of selfless duty to their fans, franchise, or owners is complete and total garbage......yes they do,how much so varies
with each player.

because both fans and the franchise will drop players like a bad habit the second they become unproductive, unprofitable, or old....... this is partly true, but fans
will love certain players forever. Teams have to drop players that are unproductive, it is the nature of the sport, but it isnt like they are suddenly homeless.
Most are millionaires and can easily get a high paying job on sports networks.

2. So because they're making so much money, they shouldn't want what they're worth? I would agree that, on the surface, 'I need an extra 2 million' would seem greedy to most people, if the owners--and really, the super wealthy class in general--werent also trying to maximize their already insane wealth. The super wealthy are constantly trying to evade taxes, crush competition, pay their workers on the cheap, so they can grow their vast sums of money.........I agree
with most of this, but the cap is what restricts how much a player can be paid. That has nothing to do with the owners and how much money they have.
Extremely wealthy people are greedy, they usually screw people to get wealthy, and they get obsessed with having money and especially making more money
even though they have more than they need. So yeah they are greedy pigs lol.
But here is one thing people like you dont see, When the stars on a team demand the big paydays and get it, that means less money for the other players.
Some wont be kept, others will have to sign cheaper deal etc. So the big stars actually are taking away money from the lower level guys.
It doesnt affect the owners at all because of the cap.

But the second a player asks for more, and it's usually someone who came from nothing or very little wealth, fans have the nerve to call them greedy. For asking for a bigger piece of the pie from their owners who are, let's be honest, eating the whole thing...... this kinda say you just dont understand the cap.
what I said above answers this. But yeah the rich get richer, thats always true, and some players come from poor backgrounds, and some dont.
Mahomes is from a wealthy family, many are from families who are not poor. Many had athlete dads, so they had money.
And it comes back to this, it is players wanting more than they are worth, or the max amount of the market that fans dont like.
Like dak, he deserved a payday, but how much money did he deserve? What would be a fair amount? He got 32 million last year just in salary alone,
plus endorsement money, he lives in a mansion with his own football field. I think he earned that, since he played pretty good for 4 years on a cheap salary.
But now he has gotten greedy, he should have signed the 5 year deal for 35 mil a year, there is nothing wrong with that.
I dont think he is worth that much, but he wanted to get a 4 year deal so he could sign another deal 4 years later with a much higher cap.
But now that cap has gone down and may stay down for years.
And it was sheer greed that he didnt sign that deal. I dont hate him for that, it is his choice, and he has to deal with the consequences.
If the cowboys were to cut him now, I doubt any team would offer him 35 mil a year at this point with a lower cap. And that would be on him.
Brady continues to play because he has a burning desire to be the undisputed greatest of all time...and he enjoys competing and winning.

Reminds me a bit of Ezekiel Elliott.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Brady continues to play because he has a burning desire to be the undisputed greatest of all time...and he enjoys competing and winning.

Reminds me a bit of Ezekiel Elliott.
yeah if elliot had half of bradys desire to win, dallas would be a top run team.
Brady is all about winning, he loves to win , hates losing.
most of our cowboy players, they are ok with losing, they still get paid and glorified.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

End this.

I think this team is now starting over...cut the deck.

fivetwos

Reaction score
yeah if elliot had half of bradys desire to win, dallas would be a top run team.
Brady is all about winning, he loves to win , hates losing.
most of our cowboy players, they are ok with losing, they still get paid and glorified.
If Elliott had any heart at all, he would put up two seasons that would force the Cowboys to not cut him when they are able to.

Anyone want to wager on what actually happens?

erod

Reaction score
What a great idea!

Let's trade away every quality piece this team has. Zeke, Martin, Collins, Smith, McGovern, all three receivers. Vander Esch, Diggs. Let Dak walk.

Put in Dinooch. Search the practice squads and walk-ons for the OL.

Spend the next five years going 2-14 to 0-16. Clear the cap and take up all the booty we got for our players and start drafting top flight talent.

If you look at the Browns, they have a bunch of first rounders on their team. Back in the day I read an article which stated the Ravens had more first rounders on their team than any other team. They stunk on ice, but that next year they won it all.

Just gut this team, start trading away draft picks so the Cowboys can parley them into top of the first picks and load up.

I mean I have another six years or so to wait. I'm old. And when I say I'm old, I call men in their late fifties sonny boy.

So sure, lets just gut this baby and rebuild for the next six to ten years. I just hope the matron who changes my diapers understands to DVR that part of the game we miss when she is cleaning me up, or at least waits until a commercial.
This team is very possibly the 4th best team in the worst division in football.

It's time for this organization to stop pretending.

ESisback

Reaction score
This team is very possibly the 4th best team in the worst division in football.

It's time for this organization to stop pretending.

Disagree. This team is the 4th best team in this division on defense. We are heavily injured on offense. Improve the defense and get our injured players back, and we’ll win more games.