Just started smoking a curved tobacco pipe

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Scotte brand, curved oak with ebony mouthpiece. Very fine tobacco. Law IQ as vouched for/recommended by a friend who has been smoking (this brand tobacco) for some time. Very mellow and very delightful.

Anyone else smoke a pipe? I'm not using, either, bowl or stem filters. Just straight smoking. A pure, robust draw as it would be a cigar, albeit not quite as strong. Zero filters.

I did some research this afternoon on some well-populated pipe message boards; this subject seems divided amongst pipe smokers. Hence my wanting feedback.

I want to venture out into other pipe tobaccos. Any suggestions? Also, lighters? Zippo? Bic? Match? I've read from enthusiasts advocating all. What do you use?

I was smoking cigars, but at $50-60/day, it just got too expensive. (Someone start a cigar thread, I have a lot of feedback, LOL :))

Please, keep weed and such out of this thread, this is a legit pipe tobacco thread for novices.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Bet it smokes pretty good ,over time once it seasons in do you think you'll have to draw a little bit harder on it as compared to a straight stem?
I've had a small collection (8) briar bowl and even some art deco style from the 20's-30's where the angled square stem transitions to round and slightly curved mouth piece, they reside in a wooden table display of 4 on each end with a hinged lid tobacco stash in the middle,,,it's high up on a shelve right now,there's a lb. Can of half-n- half under the t.v. table been sitting there prolly 2-3 years,,,lol,,, my father would not hire a pipe smoker in the oilfield ( even a 40 barrel tank truck driver) said you couldn't get much out of them as they were always ****ing around with that G D pipe and were to busy to do any work,,,:lmao:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Nothing beats a recently fueled up Zippo lighter my man, and you DON'T hand it to the dip ****'s needing a light,,, that think it's making them cool by springing the lid hinges on YOUR lighter by doing that Dip **** one handed snapping the fingers to light it,,, you kick that idiot immediately in the balls,,, thusly curing idiocy one nut whacking at a timeo_O

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
This is something I've always wanted to try but never knew where to begin. Whenever encountering a pipe being smoked it has always been a relaxing experience and of course pipe smoke truly smells good compared to cigarettes.

Never met a young person smoking a pipe though..

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stick it in your pipe and smoke it! Lol

I have a similar pipe, I've had it since the late 90's used to feel like Sherlock Holmes when I smoked it. Haven't smoked a pipe in many years. Never got into smoking anything, I'll have a cigar now and then.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit, do you know what your brother in law uses to light his pipes?

Mostly a zippo, but he also has tapers for when he's feeling fancy, iirc.

EDIT: I don't remember the specifics, but mostly gold and black cavendish tobaccos. Mostly gold. That might be so generic as to be useless to a pipe smoker, but it's all I got.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Mostly a zippo, but he also has tapers for when he's feeling fancy, iirc.

EDIT: I don't remember the specifics, but mostly gold and black cavendish tobaccos. Mostly gold. That might be so generic as to be useless to a pipe smoker, but it's all I got.

My Lane 1Q is Golden Virginia and Black Cavendish.

I'd love to try some Gold, tho, Idg! Have no clue what a taper is, but that sounds interesting. The bowl on my pipe is rather small, I feel, but I don't know that for sure. I will grab a Zippo. Been using a bic.

And "all you got" is much appreciated, my dear sir. :)

(Been sitting on this reply for about an hour as I went and picked up the little fella :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This is absolutely destroying my tongue. Making it very raw and sensitive.

Any suggestions? Am I smoking too much? I was smoking 5 cigars a day so it's entirely possible I'm smoking too much. About 10-15 bowls of tobacco a day.

My tongue is ******* raw and killing me and water makes it worse. I feel like whiskey would make it better.

Gah! There has to be a way? Maybe I do need to use filters?

Any pipe smokers wanna chime in and help a man out on how to avoid this raw tongue I have.

It's hell. It feels like I licked glass off the floor

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
My tongue is on ******* fire. Calling Cup O' Joes on Monday to see how to remedy this, since it appears no one here smokes a pipe. :)

It literally feels like I ate 5 lbs of ghost pepper crawfish (I've done this before, so I know).

Sheesh. I'm doing something wrong.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
This is absolutely destroying my tongue. Making it very raw and sensitive.

Any suggestions? Am I smoking too much? I was smoking 5 cigars a day so it's entirely possible I'm smoking too much. About 10-15 bowls of tobacco a day.

My tongue is ******* raw and killing me and water makes it worse. I feel like whiskey would make it better.

Gah! There has to be a way? Maybe I do need to use filters?

Any pipe smokers wanna chime in and help a man out on how to avoid this raw tongue I have.

It's hell. It feels like I licked glass off the floor
Yes! Cut back ,,,yer' fiend is showing:lmao:
Hit the puffer half dozen times till you can ENJOY ( my guess ) 4-6 pipes a day,,, it's supposed to be relaxing and you find a little time to contemplate on things,,, I think I'll fire one up myself.
Soak yer mouth in salt water gargle, a little swish of hydrogen peroxide( don't swallow that stuff you'll blow big time gas from both ends, repeat, then a pat of butter in yer mouth or hold a mouthful of milk,,, relax,,we'll get thru this trooper:oldcouple:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Maybe the inline stem filters are what's needed for you bro! But stop chewing on it,,,, puff and remove from the mouth if it goes out ,look at it disapprovingly ,release a slight *sigh* flip through the t.v. channels, glance disappointed at that pipe one more time,,, then hit the puffer! Have a taste if beverage ( just a nip) find yer lighter and try your pipe again,, only slowly work on it.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Maybe the inline stem filters are what's needed for you bro! But stop chewing on it,,,, puff and remove from the mouth if it goes out ,look at it disapprovingly ,release a slight *sigh* flip through the t.v. channels, glance disappointed at that pipe one more time,,, then hit the puffer! Have a taste if beverage ( just a nip) find yer lighter and try your pipe again,, only slowly work on it.
I took the stem filter out. That was my thought, as well, as I was going through raw-tongue last night, brother.

Wilco on the technique, bubba. :)