Just started smoking a curved tobacco pipe

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
@Melonfeud

I find that by placing the stem about one inch into my mouth and drawing about 3 or 4 times is most ideal.

The flavor is much more pronounced this way, too. I taste the flavor of the tobacco and my tongue doesn't feel like a bullet ant bit it.

I've only had one pipe today, and it was just now as I watch this Charger/NO game. Perhaps that's also why my tongue isn't on fire -- tho I can't lie -- I still feel residual pain from yesterday when I scrape my tongue against my upper, central incisors.

Anyhoo... before, I would place the very edge of the mouthpiece and draw until the full cherry was ember'd, trying to get as much draw as a cigar.

I'm quickly learning this is a smooth smoke, with a very light exhale.

Thanks for all the tips, brother. You rock, Melon :star::starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
This is absolutely destroying my tongue. Making it very raw and sensitive.

Any suggestions? Am I smoking too much? I was smoking 5 cigars a day so it's entirely possible I'm smoking too much. About 10-15 bowls of tobacco a day.

My tongue is ******* raw and killing me and water makes it worse. I feel like whiskey would make it better.

Gah! There has to be a way? Maybe I do need to use filters?

Any pipe smokers wanna chime in and help a man out on how to avoid this raw tongue I have.

It's hell. It feels like I licked glass off the floor
My tongue is on ******* fire. Calling Cup O' Joes on Monday to see how to remedy this, since it appears no one here smokes a pipe. :)

It literally feels like I ate 5 lbs of ghost pepper crawfish (I've done this before, so I know).

Sheesh. I'm doing something wrong.
Legit my tongue is still ****ed up. WHAT DO YOU DO??

I know there are pipe smokers out there that can smoke without feeling like they licked a bullet ant's *** from Paraguay
These 3 posts compiled over the course of 3/4 of an hour were absolutely hilarious to me brother Troutster, when I read them, I could not help myself from busting up laughing at your expense, please forgive me.
( it's only funny till somebody gets hurt,then it's hilarious,,,o_O)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
These 3 posts compiled over the course of 3/4 of an hour were absolutely hilarious to me brother Troutster, when I read them, I could not help myself from busting up laughing at your expense, please forgive me.
Lmao! Was kinda the intent! I wanted whomever was reading this thread to both learn and laugh.

Melon, my tongue was on fire. :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Did you see post 27, Melon?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I smoke cigars .... Montecristo no .2, montecristo white label, Fuente 858's, drew estate Java mint, drew estate acid , my father cigars , some of my favorite. I vape during the week and have a couple cigars on weekends.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Just found this thread. I took up pipe smoking awhile back. Haven't had any trouble with it messing with my mouth. I have two pipes, basically cheapos, a Medico and a Yorkshire Royal. They are what's called "estate pipes", that is, older, well worn pipes that are well "broke in" and seasoned. These are what are preferred by long time pipe smokers.

I think yours is new? That might be your problem, it's still getting seasoned. Try a stem filter, might help.

What type tobacco are you using? I've tried several and Captain Black is by far the best in my opinion. I've also bought some bulk tobacco from a smoke shop and flavored my own, works pretty well.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Just found this thread. I took up pipe smoking awhile back. Haven't had any trouble with it messing with my mouth. I have two pipes, basically cheapos, a Medico and a Yorkshire Royal. They are what's called "estate pipes", that is, older, well worn pipes that are well "broke in" and seasoned. These are what are preferred by long time pipe smokers.

I think yours is new? That might be your problem, it's still getting seasoned. Try a stem filter, might help.

What type tobacco are you using? I've tried several and Captain Black is by far the best in my opinion. I've also bought some bulk tobacco from a smoke shop and flavored my own, works pretty well.
Thanks for tips, Fritsch!

My pipe is new, yes. It's a curved Scotte. I'm smoking Lane 1-Q, which is a Virginia gold/black cavendish tobacco.

I'm smoking less now, so I'm not getting the fire tongue. I took out the stem filter to get a more robust draw, but I am considering getting some.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I smoke cigars .... Montecristo no .2, montecristo white label, Fuente 858's, drew estate Java mint, drew estate acid , my father cigars , some of my favorite. I vape during the week and have a couple cigars on weekends.
Good cigars.

I've been smoking a lot of Rocky Patel, Nub, Jaime Garcia, Garcia and Garcia, Avo Uvezian, Montecristo, Macanudo, Cifuentes Y Cia. I've cut back, but had a great Nub stogie last night.

I vape during the week, as well. Have a Smok AL 85

Good stuff, brother.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
This is absolutely destroying my tongue. Making it very raw and sensitive.

Any suggestions? Am I smoking too much? I was smoking 5 cigars a day so it's entirely possible I'm smoking too much. About 10-15 bowls of tobacco a day.

My tongue is ******* raw and killing me and water makes it worse. I feel like whiskey would make it better.

Gah! There has to be a way? Maybe I do need to use filters?

Any pipe smokers wanna chime in and help a man out on how to avoid this raw tongue I have.

It's hell. It feels like I licked glass off the floor

That $**t will kill you, man........but, so will this Jaguar I'm drivin.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Thanks for tips, Fritsch!

My pipe is new, yes. It's a curved Scotte. I'm smoking Lane 1-Q, which is a Virginia gold/black cavendish tobacco.

I'm smoking less now, so I'm not getting the fire tongue. I took out the stem filter to get a more robust draw, but I am considering getting some.

Lane 1-Q and Captain Black Royal are the same thing, made by the same company. Captain Black is the only one I've really smoked, I've tried a couple of others, can't remember their names but thought they were horrible. They weren't L1Q though, I do know that. I like Captain Black mainly because I can get it at any grocery store or pharmacy, otherwise I have to drive across town for a smoke shop.

It's really just a matter of personal preference anyway. I've been going to try some of the more expensive brands, but I like CB well enough. I'd recommend getting some good, plain bulk tobacco and flavoring your own. You have to experiment and it's a bit of a hassle, but once you get it right it's better. Plus, I know what's in the tobacco I'm smoking when I flavor my own.

And yeah, you should keep using the filter, not sure how long it takes to really season a new one, never had to. I would also recommend checking out yard sales and estate sales to find a good used pipe. There are website that show how to re-finish them, get rid of the teeth marks and such if you want. Just don't clean the inside of the bowl other than giving it a good scraping. It's a good idea to have two or more pipes because long time pipe smokers say you want to stick to one brand in one pipe.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Lane 1-Q and Captain Black Royal are the same thing, made by the same company. Captain Black is the only one I've really smoked, I've tried a couple of others, can't remember their names but thought they were horrible. They weren't L1Q though, I do know that. I like Captain Black mainly because I can get it at any grocery store or pharmacy, otherwise I have to drive across town for a smoke shop.

It's really just a matter of personal preference anyway. I've been going to try some of the more expensive brands, but I like CB well enough. I'd recommend getting some good, plain bulk tobacco and flavoring your own. You have to experiment and it's a bit of a hassle, but once you get it right it's better. Plus, I know what's in the tobacco I'm smoking when I flavor my own.

And yeah, you should keep using the filter, not sure how long it takes to really season a new one, never had to. I would also recommend checking out yard sales and estate sales to find a good used pipe. There are website that show how to re-finish them, get rid of the teeth marks and such if you want. Just don't clean the inside of the bowl other than giving it a good scraping. It's a good idea to have two or more pipes because long time pipe smokers say you want to stick to one brand in one pipe.
How do I clean the inside? I've been scraping the crap out of it with this three-piece tool. Getting all that hard resin. Is it more of a light scrape?

Since I'm new to this, should I stick to a single pipe now while I learn to smoke? I'm actually having a pipe right now :)

Thanks, so much, Fritsch.