Justice League “Come Together”

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It is the studio's own fault. They quirked proper continuity, which was already blueprinted by Marvel/Disney.
  • Batman was already reestablished with The Dark Knight trilogy.
  • Superman was also reestablished post-Superman Returns in Man of Steel.
Two of DC's three heavy hitters were done. The next movies should have been
  • Wonder Woman
  • Aquaman
  • Flash
--in that order and in rapid procession/theatrical release. DC's premier fighting team would almost be set at this stage. The premise for the current movie is sound. Its baseline is Apokolips. So
  • Have the five established/reestablished heroes unite to confront the Apokolips lackey, Steffenwolf.
  • Allow Justice League to have ONE subplot, the establishment of Cyborg, whose origin centers upon Apokolips technology.
Bodda boom bodda bing. Group superhero movie that can focus primarily on a big bad for 120 minutes without having huge chucks of mini-origins subtract from it--along with the forced punch lines to 'soften' the movie so that it can mesh better.

One of the best things the movie did provide was the early hint of the Green Lantern Corps. If continuity had been done properly, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Guy Gardner or whoever they decide to go with could be (re)introduced in a solo movie BEFORE JL2--which I hope (and pray) is the beginning of the ultimate showdown versus THE Apokolips big bad, Darkseid.

sigh. WB will probably crap the bed on the whole thing though. Hopefully, the upcoming solo movies will be gems along the way like Wonder Woman. Still, I do not understand the need to introduce 'magical' Superman, aka Shazam, who is simply Captain Marvel for DC. Personally, I think Warner Bros is introducing the character out of spite in reaction to Marvel/Disney's introduction of their Captain Marvel. The problem is that Captain Marvel actually participated in the original Infinity Gauntlet printed storyline in the comics and is thus a natural fit for the MCU's Infinity War films. Crazy.

Yeah, they screwed up setting up justice League. No surprise there,
Still thought it was really good.

Did you flat out hate JL?
Just curious. I like your reviews.

You are lowering your standards if you think Marvel gets it right every single time. The first Captain America wasn't good. The first two Thor movies were bad. Iron Man 3 was hot garbage. The first Hulk movie of the MCU(Norton, not Bana) was terrible.

Marvel does things well, but they are not perfect. They have made their mistakes.

Agreed,.. Marvel most certainly does not get it right every time,

I felt the same about captain America: First Avenger when I first saw it. I rewatched it recently. I think it was very good.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Saw JL last night.

You know what, I enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations and came away liking it. Supes was awesome (I don't think that's a spoiler anymore right?). Affleck really is the best Batman behind Keaton, in my opinion of course.

Yeah I did notice the mustache CGI but don't know if I would've noticed it if I hadn't read about it a million times.

Hope it gets some legs at the box office because I would like to see this continue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw JL last night.

You know what, I enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations and came away liking it. Supes was awesome (I don't think that's a spoiler anymore right?). Affleck really is the best Batman behind Keaton, in my opinion of course.

Yeah I did notice the mustache CGI but don't know if I would've noticed it if I hadn't read about it a million times.

Hope it gets some legs at the box office because I would like to see this continue.

Thanks for the review.

I was on the fence about heading out to the theater or not and this helped me to decide to make the trip.

:thumbup:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thanks for the review.

I was on the fence about heading out to the theater or not and this helped me to decide to make the trip.

:thumbup:

Like I said, just go in and enjoy a superhero movie involving those guys we grew up loving. I will say that this is the first time I thoroughly enjoyed Superman. I hope we get a MoS sequel with this adaptation of Supes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, just go in and enjoy a superhero movie involving those guys we grew up loving. I will say that this is the first time I thoroughly enjoyed Superman. I hope we get a MoS sequel with this adaptation of Supes.

That's honestly what has me the most excited. I've always felt Henry Cavill would make an awesome Superman if given the proper material and Director to work with.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I thought it was kind of a mess, and Supes, while a big plot point, wasn't really necessary except for one thing that could have easily been handled another way.

It wasn't terrible, but I just didn't care about much of anything going on, and the humor was mostly swings and misses. I thought it was a big step down from WW and BvS (at least the ultimate edition which I finally watched last week).

It was better than Suicide Squad, though.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Chalk me up as another that really enjoyed the movie. I took my son and a couple of his buddies....they liked it too.

I personally, loved the humor. Flash and Aquaman were particularly funny. Superman had his moments too. I'm also one that thinks that Affleck was a great Batman. Not quite Christian Bale, but still better than the others.....

It's a shame that it's not meeting expectations financially. I would love to see where they are going with a sequel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to see where they are going with a sequel.
All JL sequels will have an Apokolips theme unless Warner Bros executives go completely insane and veer off in another direction. Steppenwolf was firmly established in the film. He is one Darkseid's top lieutenants. Why would the studio stop at an Apokolips underling and not eventually introduce his boss, who is one of the most villainous characters ever created in all comics? Plus, WB/DC are attempting to match Disney/Marvel's Infinity War storyline that centers around Thanos, who was patterned after Darkseid. There are too many coincidences to ignore. :p

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All JL sequels will have an Apokolips theme unless Warner Bros executives go completely insane and veer off in another direction. Steppenwolf was firmly established in the film. He is one Darkseid's top lieutenants. Why would the studio stop at an Apokolips underling and not eventually introduce his boss, who is one of the most villainous characters ever created in all comics? Plus, WB/DC are attempting to match Disney/Marvel's Infinity War storyline that centers around Thanos, who was patterned after Darkseid. There are too many coincidences to ignore. :p

It certainly didn't seem like that was where they were going at the very end.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I liked it very much. More than I expected to. I think it deserves better than it's getting, critically and commercially.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It's not perfect, but much more good than bad, and much brighter than the dour tones of the prior films.

If you're a fan of the superhero films, do yourself a favor and go out and see this one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The boat scene.
Yeah. The Legion of Doom reference. I believe I see your point. Still, I think the basic framework of the DCU will revolve around a continued world-ending (if not galaxy/universe ending) threat from Apokolips, which would be a cosmic theme akin to MCU and Thanos's quest for the Infinity Gauntlet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. The Legion of Doom reference. I believe I see your point. Still, I think the basic framework of the DCU will revolve around a continued world-ending (if not galaxy/universe ending) threat from Apokolips, which would be a cosmic theme akin to MCU and Thanos's quest for the Infinity Gauntlet.

I agree with you that an ultimately buildup to Darkseid would be on the table, but I think this battle would come first. And I applaud them if they go that route, with good team vs bad team, because I've felt Marvel has missed that opportunity thus far.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I actually like BA as Batman, his Bruce Wayne leaves a lot to be desired though.

If there was a way to have Christian bale's Bruce Wayne and Ben Afflick's Batman merged we would have the perfect caped crusader.

I am not as hard on Snyder because I equate end-of-the-world as dark material. Evil Kryptonians? End of the world. Soulless superpowered weapon of mass destruction (e.g. Doomsday)? End of the world. Apokolips herald (e.g. Steffenwolf)? End of the world. For me, those are vehicles for hard drama but Snyder does have issues that lower my opinion of him like timely humor, which does occur even in real life under the most dire circumstances, and he leans heavily on montage continuity editing (e.g. scene d is followed by scene a then reverse to scene z and back to scene b etc.etc.).

I would run from Warner Bros if I were Whedon. They are too controlling, which is not good for someone with his encompassing vision.

I was really worried about Affleck before BvS. I did think he was better in JL though. Regardless, Affleck is not the best fit for possibly any superhero role in my opinion. He established that deficit with Daredevil way back when. He is stiff and a touch of his personal failings like addiction seem to bleed through his performances. Maybe I am seeing too much into him but that is how I do see it.

Yeah. True comics fans are getting screwed. It is a crying shame. There are well-known and even lesser know actors and actresses who are perfect for these characters. We live in a great era of computerized graphic imaging courtesy of past/present geniuses like George Lucas and James Cameron. There are talented screenplay writers like Christopher Nolan and Christopher Markus. Yet, for some reason, a premier LONG established movie studio like Warner Bros cannot assemble all this massive talent and cinematic technology together, completely step aside, and rake in the cash. It is the kind of thing that makes me turn to my wife during times in JL and whisper, "What the heck???"

cml750

Reaction score
Well I had hoped Whedon would save this one but he didn't. That was pretty bad. The Wonder Woman movie has been the one shining light in the very bad DC universe thus far. Time for a Snyderless reboot.