Justin Jefferson/Vikings agree to 4 year/140m extension

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I mean this front office deserves blame for some things but I think when it comes to their stars over the years they have paid the right guys. Zeke is probably the one guy that you could argue but looking at his salary....he's salary was never over 4% of the cap except one season which was 2022. His contract wasn't nearly as bad as was reported.

Typically they've paid the right guys franchise money. The issue for me is when they've gambled on the Tyrone Crawford's, the La'El Collins, the Jaylon Smith's......
Indeed, it is about the percentage and term more than the money, I could care less what these owners want to pay their players.
This FO has proven to be a bit soft lately with terms, and the end results of those blunders are becoming obvious to most.

Every team in the league goes through the same process with mistakes, but the smart teams seem to correct and turn it around quickly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
When you have a separate HoF weapon and the best QB in the league, who may go down as the best in history, then you can make decisions like that. It also had a noticeable impact on their offense despite all those things.
It did, and absolutely makes that decision easy when you have Money Mahomes.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
This team is not good enough to sign a wide receiver for 35 million a year. It will just make an already average team with holes even worse. I like CD but that's way too much for non QB. They are better off getting two first round picks for him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This team is not good enough to sign a wide receiver for 35 million a year. It will just make an already average team with holes even worse. I like CD but that's way too much for non QB. They are better off getting two first round picks for him.
Go get me two 1sts and I will entertain that offer.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is not good enough to sign a wide receiver for 35 million a year. It will just make an already average team
Exactly how are the Cowboys an average team? I know they choke in the playoffs but they are far from average.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean this front office deserves blame for some things but I think when it comes to their stars over the years they have paid the right guys. Zeke is probably the one guy that you could argue but looking at his salary....he's salary was never over 4% of the cap except one season which was 2022. His contract wasn't nearly as bad as was reported.

Typically they've paid the right guys franchise money. The issue for me is when they've gambled on the Tyrone Crawford's, the La'El Collins, the Jaylon Smith's......
And it was in line with what the position was getting at the time. Todd Gurley's salary was the benchmark ($14.4 million per year), but a couple other backs weren't far behind, and Elliott surpassed him for one year at $15 million before Alvin Kamara got $15 million per year and McCaffrey shot in front at $16 million. Then, NFL owners reevaluated the importance of the position and started offering less.

Maybe some would like the Joneses to be the trailblazers in reevaluating what positions are being paid, but they've tried to be trailblazers on how teams view free agency and we've seen how that works.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He will get a little more than Jefferson did if the Cowboys extend him. It's not a Cowboys thing it's a every team thing. Follow the WR's getting paid this off season. The next one always gets more.
could have made a bit less if we were on our game and not wait...but...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I don't sense they let Hill go simply for salary purposes. I think they could've made him work they did offer him a contract just didn't offer him the guaranteed money he wanted. But Hill has stated he wanted to leave because he wanted more touches coming his way....when you win rings and are atlaking like that that tells me they let him go to keep the offense from getting out of hand.
And it wasn't simply a disagreement over touches IMO, Hill had a series of abuse allegations hanging over him, including an accusation of domestic violence while in college and child abuse in 2019 while with the Chiefs. Kansas City didn't trade him until 2022, so it's unclear if the abuse allegations had anything to do with it, but I would think it would make you hesitant to give a player a monster contract.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...abuse-investigation/neqfn40200lt16ik2142ay772

rambo2

Reaction score
An average 12 win team. Lol

ArtClink

Reaction score
The Jones boys claim to be frugal but they bungled Daks first and now 2nd extension, overpaid Zeke on 2nd contract, and now Cee Dee Lambs contract will be higher. What Idiots we have in charg. Oh well, you know what they say, ”The 29th time is the charm”.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just saw it on TV on FS1

That's 35 million a year, will CeeDee want equal or more?

AdminEdit: Thread is relevant to Cowboys because it will impact CeeDee Lamb's contract extension.
Add who is the QB?

Chasing6

Reaction score
If that were the case he should have been traded before the draft. Coming off a 1700 yard season he could have brought us a Tyreek Hill type of return. The worst part about Lamb is his value should only decrease from here.
Not a good year to trade WR with a deep WR draft. Better to trade a top WR, during a week draft. Just sayin.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When I mean risk, it's suffering an Achilles tear, or a bad knee injury that takes out the ACL & MCL.
Bad concussion in his 4th year.
Would a team still pay him, hoping he rebound? Sure. But setting the bar at 35mil? Debatable.

If Dak leads the league in INTs next year, will he get another contract? Sure. Will it be top 3? Probably not.
With the history of GM Jethro folding, no one added at WR, and no run game, why would you not hold out???

CD is the entire offense - Ferguson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And it wasn't simply a disagreement over touches IMO, Hill had a series of abuse allegations hanging over him, including an accusation of domestic violence while in college and child abuse in 2019 while with the Chiefs. Kansas City didn't trade him until 2022, so it's unclear if the abuse allegations had anything to do with it, but I would think it would make you hesitant to give a player a monster contract.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...abuse-investigation/neqfn40200lt16ik2142ay772
Its possible....they drafted him with those some allegations so yeah who knows. Its possible. The whole touches thing came from Hill's mouth. Reid and co. said all the right things so hard to know what the real reason is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Indeed, it is about the percentage and term more than the money, I could care less what these owners want to pay their players.
This FO has proven to be a bit soft lately with terms, and the end results of those blunders are becoming obvious to most.

Every team in the league goes through the same process with mistakes, but the smart teams seem to correct and turn it around quickly.
Yeah....I hate Philly but for some reason they can find suckers to take on their talent they no longer want. Probably the benefit of having a actual GM with GM connections who has relationships with other GM's.....a luxury we don't have.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And it was in line with what the position was getting at the time. Todd Gurley's salary was the benchmark ($14.4 million per year), but a couple other backs weren't far behind, and Elliott surpassed him for one year at $15 million before Alvin Kamara got $15 million per year and McCaffrey shot in front at $16 million. Then, NFL owners reevaluated the importance of the position and started offering less.

Maybe some would like the Joneses to be the trailblazers in reevaluating what positions are being paid, but they've tried to be trailblazers on how teams view free agency and we've seen how that works.
I agree.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Oh I 100% agree. But in order to get that deal done the Cowboys were going to have to do what the Eagles did and offer an extension like AJ Brown got. They were going to have to jump out and offer something he couldn't refuse. And Brown and Jefferson have the same agents so they were able to get in front of the Jefferson deal and Jefferson signed after.

But I don't disagree. I think ultimately though Lamb and his team said they weren't signing until Jefferson did. Lamb's agents are going to make him the highest paid player in the league that's the objective. So if you're going to do that then yeah they were going to jump higher than that 25-27 million.
Brown’s agent is Lamb’s agent. And he works for the same group as Jefferson’s agent, who is Dak’s agent. They’re knocking out contracts one at a time. They’ll get to Jones when they have a moment.