Justin Jefferson/Vikings agree to 4 year/140m extension

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Does anyone think the Cowboys don't intend on signing Lamb? That is possible.
Letting the best player on your entire roster leave is always a difficult decision and one that Jerry will not make.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No chance I'd sign Lamb at 35M a year. Jefferson either. They're good, but they're not Randy Moss.
Yeah but they have impacts on the game like Moss did. They aren't a All Time Great but their own their way to having similar careers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Reid let Hill leave.
He did. I've argued that I don't know if it was the right decision. I mean they are winning rings without him....but the money they saved by letting him go? They used it on inferior players. So I don't know....I feel like the game would be easier for Mahomes if he had Hill.

Adreme

Reaction score
Reid let Hill leave.
When you have a separate HoF weapon and the best QB in the league, who may go down as the best in history, then you can make decisions like that. It also had a noticeable impact on their offense despite all those things.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He did. I've argued that I don't know if it was the right decision. I mean they are winning rings without him....but the money they saved by letting him go? They used it on inferior players. So I don't know....I feel like the game would be easier for Mahomes if he had Hill.
Not just the money saved but they got 5 picks for him too. Trent Mcduffie has become one of the best CBs in the league already, and that defense made it so mahomes didn’t have to be Superman each week. Its an interesting debate.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah but they have impacts on the game like Moss did. They aren't a All Time Great but their own their way to having similar careers.
I have a different philosophy than the Jones boys. Being in the position to pay him 35M would have never happened. That's not a mistake I would have made. I'm not saying I'm some genius, I just go by what I see that works best. I would copy that, not what Jerry is doing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not just the money saved but they got 5 picks for him too. Trent Mcduffie has become one of the best CBs in the league already, and that defense made it so mahomes didn’t have to be Superman each week. Its an interesting debate.
I debated someone on here but I didn't know they got McDuffie with one of those picks.....that's crucial....factor in the salary savings....I get it.

I'm on the wrong side of debate I mean they've won a ring without Hill...but my argument was I think they could've still done that if they gotten rid of a few guys...because most of their defense is fairly cheap....MVS and Justin Reid are guys i'd trade off for Hill....but they did get a lot of compensation....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have a different philosophy than the Jones boys. Being in the position to pay him 35M would have never happened. That's not a mistake I would have made. I'm not saying I'm some genius, I just go by what I see that works best. I would copy that, not what Jerry is doing.
I respect your stance but its hard to say what will work or what work when we've never seen a salary cap this high or salaries this high.

I think ultimately your job is to make the best roster you possibly can with the best coaching you can. Of course its not that simple but that has to be a starting point. And then I have to factor in the Cowboys approach. If they only value building their team through the draft and not free agency.....what else am I gonna spend the 35 million on? They would've just gave that money to Tyler Biadiz and Dorance Armstrong.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That’s roughly 13.5% of the cap, in line with what Adams received a couple years ago. The numbers seem where they should. I have to believe Lamb is similar. Maybe they give him slightly more but with the same guaranteed amount so Lamb has bragging rights but it’s really the same deal.
Not too long ago, that % was about what a franchise QB got.

Flamma

Reaction score
I respect your stance but its hard to say what will work or what work when we've never seen a salary cap this high or salaries this high.

I think ultimately your job is to make the best roster you possibly can with the best coaching you can. Of course its not that simple but that has to be a starting point. And then I have to factor in the Cowboys approach. If they only value building their team through the draft and not free agency.....what else am I gonna spend the 35 million on? They would've just gave that money to Tyler Biadiz and Dorance Armstrong.
Forget team building for a second. I'm talking about smart contracts. I would have tried to extend Lamb after his 3rd year. Market rate was about 25-27 million. Lets say 4 years 100-110 million. You would then have 6 years to spread that out. No need for void years either. It's the smartest way I've seen.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
First, the Chiefs got a lot for trading Hill.

Second, it doesn't seem like the Chiefs were all hunky-dory with Hill.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/why-did-chiefs-trade-tyreek-hill/
Yeah I don't sense they let Hill go simply for salary purposes. I think they could've made him work they did offer him a contract just didn't offer him the guaranteed money he wanted. But Hill has stated he wanted to leave because he wanted more touches coming his way....when you win rings and are atlaking like that that tells me they let him go to keep the offense from getting out of hand.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You can do magical things with the Cap, the trick to the entire game is finding your cornerstones that are franchise established pieces.
Pay them whatever it takes to retain them, but do not invest cornerstone franchise capital on anything less than that.
If we fail with another bad contract than the impact is magnified 10-fold.
Make your decisions wisely with franchise money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Forget team building for a second. I'm talking about smart contracts. I would have tried to extend Lamb after his 3rd year. Market rate was about 25-27 million. Lets say 4 years 100-110 million. You would then have 6 years to spread that out. No need for void years either. It's the smartest way I've seen.
Oh I 100% agree. But in order to get that deal done the Cowboys were going to have to do what the Eagles did and offer an extension like AJ Brown got. They were going to have to jump out and offer something he couldn't refuse. And Brown and Jefferson have the same agents so they were able to get in front of the Jefferson deal and Jefferson signed after.

But I don't disagree. I think ultimately though Lamb and his team said they weren't signing until Jefferson did. Lamb's agents are going to make him the highest paid player in the league that's the objective. So if you're going to do that then yeah they were going to jump higher than that 25-27 million.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can do magical things with the Cap, the trick to the entire game is finding your cornerstones that are franchise established pieces.
Pay them whatever it takes to retain them, but do not invest cornerstone franchise capital on anything less than that.
If we fail with another bad contract than the impact is magnified 10-fold.
Make your decisions wisely with franchise money.
I mean this front office deserves blame for some things but I think when it comes to their stars over the years they have paid the right guys. Zeke is probably the one guy that you could argue but looking at his salary....he's salary was never over 4% of the cap except one season which was 2022. His contract wasn't nearly as bad as was reported.

Typically they've paid the right guys franchise money. The issue for me is when they've gambled on the Tyrone Crawford's, the La'El Collins, the Jaylon Smith's......