Justin Jefferson/Vikings agree to 4 year/140m extension

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep...and not only that but if i'm Lamb and his team i'm coming to the table with his stats from last year, he's a year younger, and he's been durable....if Jefferson got this coming off a 10 game season then my client Lamb should get as much or more. Very possible.
It's how they have to play it. Ultimately, I think he'll settle in somewhere around the same range. I mentioned a couple of ways that Dallas could reward him for being the better receiver last year while also making the deal a little more team-friendly than Jefferson's.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If that's the route they chose to say Lamb deserves more I hope Jerry laughs in their faces.
Durability has value. Lamb has not missed a game in his four-year career. His agent is certain to use that as a bargaining chip. His trajectory is going up (he's gotten better statwise every year), while it can be argued that with the injury, Jefferson's is going down.

I say give him $150 million to make him the highest-paid receiver on paper and use that as a bargaining chip to give him less guaranteed money. If they could get his guarantees to $100 million over four years, then the true value of his contract is $25 million per year because he'll never see the fourth-year base. Give him a $40 million signing bonus, possibly some roster bonuses and guarantee his base for three years. Then in Year 4, you can either renegotiate or cut him for a cap savings (but a dead cap hit, of course). That's the cost of doing business in today's NFL.

The reasons for Lamb's camp to accept that deal is he gets the bragging rights for highest contract and they know that Dallas will have to either give him a new deal after three years or eat a big cap hit or cut him and let him go get another big deal elsewhere.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So what should Lamb get? If he's the next receiver in line to get paid and typically the next guy in line gets more than the previous guy you think Jerry should offer less?
Of course he should.

The best should be paid the best.

Jefferson is the best.

This "next guy up to be the highest paid ever at their position" stuff has got to come to an end. It's dumb. You end up paying current top 10 players at their position best of all time at their position money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course he should.

The best should be paid the best.

Jefferson is the best.

This "next guy up to be the highest paid ever at their position" stuff has got to come to an end. It's dumb. You end up paying current top 10 players at their position best of all time at their position money.
Well you saying it should "end" is your opinion. It sounds great in theory but in sports typically the next guy in line gets paid the most. Its not some new thing its been this for forever.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Durability has value. Lamb has not missed a game in his four-year career. His agent is certain to use that as a bargaining chip. His trajectory is going up (he's gotten better statwise every year), while it can be argued that with the injury, Jefferson's is going down.

I say give him $150 million to make him the highest-paid receiver on paper and use that as a bargaining chip to give him less guaranteed money. If they could get his guarantees to $100 million over four years, then the true value of his contract is $25 million per year because he'll never see the fourth-year base. Give him a $40 million signing bonus, possibly some roster bonuses and guarantee his base for three years. Then in Year 4, you can either renegotiate or cut him for a cap savings (but a dead cap hit, of course). That's the cost of doing business in today's NFL.
Lamb has missed games in his career.

Until last season Lamb had missed more games than Jefferson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's got to stop sometime.

Hopefully Jerry starts it.
LOL.....that's not how it works. What one man won't pay another man will. Its been that way for forever especially when championships and billions are on the line. Jerry is smart enough not to even entertain the idea of letting Lamb walk so he can have Cooks and Tolbert be his #1 and #2.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
LOL.....that's not how it works. What one man won't pay another man will. Its been that way for forever especially when championships and billions are on the line. Jerry is smart enough not to even entertain the idea of letting Lamb walk so he can have Cooks and Tolbert be his #1 and #2.
If someone else wants to buy that double wide for the mansion price just because they share the same zip code then by all means let them make that mistake.

You say that Jerry is smart enough for this or that but did you forget about 2017?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If someone else wants to buy that double wide for the mansion price just because they share the same zip code then by all means let them make that mistake.

You say that Jerry is smart enough for this or that but did you forget about 2017?
What's 2017?

I'm just not sure what the alternative is. This team can't say they want to build strictly through the draft and then when the guys become All PRos let' them go.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
A salary minimum could still be in place. The players would still have leverage as in 'no pay, no play'. As well as not having the cap used against them in negotiations.

Teams that operate on the cheap will pay the price over time.

The biggest market teams pretty much sucked in the modern era pre-cap while some small market teams thrived. The NFL built its popularity in the pre-cap 70's and 80's.

I'd rather be in a situation as a fan where Dak, Parsons, Lamb etc could negotiate for the absolute most they could get and my opinion of the signing could be based solely on the player and not how his contract affects the team.
The cap is negotiated. Owners are not going to agree to no cap without the players granting them something of the same value in return. And teams “that operate on the cheap” will hurt the income of many players while the owner remains fabulously wealthy. The NFLPA strives to take care of the lowest paid players, not the stars. There are more players playing at or near the minimum. The average NFL career is less than 4 years. If you had to guess, since the CBA has to be approved by the majority of players, who do you think will be taken care of as a priority? Prescott, Parsons, and Lamb, and players of similar skills, will make so much more money than 95% of players you’ll pardon the NFLPA for not giving a crap about their earning potential.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lamb has missed games in his career.

Until last season Lamb had missed more games than Jefferson.
Lamb played in 16 games as a rookie, starting 13. He played in 16 games the next year, starting 14. He has played in 17 the last two years after the NFL switched to a 17-game season.

Unless they somehow played extra games I'm not aware of, I believe that is all of the ones he could have played in over those four seasons.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lamb played in 16 games as a rookie, starting 13. He played in 16 games the next year, starting 14. He has played in 17 the last two years after the NFL switched to a 17-game season.

Unless they somehow played extra games I'm not aware of, I believe that is all of the ones he could have played in over those four seasons.
My bad.

I thought he got hurt in the Raiders game a couple years ago and missed a couple games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's got to stop sometime.

Hopefully Jerry starts it.
I don't see why some of our fans get so invested in what our players make. The market sets the value and the teams pay it. Ours don't get treated any differently in that regard.

I know, I know ... the cap. But the owners decide what positions have value with those cap dollars and they've set the standard for receiver. If Lamb gets paid at that standard, I just don't see why fans of the team he plays for get upset about that.

I've used the example before of my father-in-law who grumbles at restaurants and won't eat at some because the prices aren't the same as they were 20 years ago. Some of you just seem to be that way to me. A player for Dallas seeks to get paid on the same level as players at his level of play, so let's get rid of him and get someone cheaper!

gimmesix

Reaction score
My bad.

I thought he got hurt in the Raiders game a couple years ago and missed a couple games.
I think he's played through a couple of injuries (but most players have), but to his credit, he's been pretty durable ... and considering his physical playing style, that's a pretty good achievement.

Of course, after our players get their big deals (like Diggs), it never seems to fail that they suffer an injury.