Keep Dalton?

basel90

Reaction score
I’d say yes, but ONLY if it’s cheap and easy.

“Watch the zany antics of ‘Gilbert & The Nooch’, tonight at 8, on CBS!”
only at a reasonable 7-10 mil deal max. otherwise gilbert is in .
Of course if we sign Dak for 35-40 mil this will not matter as the team is basically doomed cap wise and talent deficiency wise.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score

I agree... if it's cheap

Tag window is 2/23 to 3/9.

I'd say if DAL can't come to an agreement w/ Dak by before March 2, then don't tag Dak, let him walk, sign Dalton and look for another vet to be backup.

It's not ideal, but w/ the cap situation, it would let DAL sign some defensive depth (maybe a starter or 2) and OL depth.

I would *MUCH* rather have Dak at QB, but if he's too expensive, it's just not worth it IMO

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I didn’t say mm would tell him he would be the starter I clearly stated “ on another team”... I was saying if he went to another team and was the starter going into the season....bc he’s going to be a starter somewhere in the nfl next year, just not in Dallas

My bad on not seeing that I also don't think it's a lock that whatever team Dalton ends up on that it will be as the starter.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Of course if we sign Dak for 35-40 mil this will not matter as the team is basically doomed cap wise and talent deficiency wise.

Lets say just for argument sake that Prescott signs a 35 mil a year contract. Now the Cowboys are going to have about 25 mil carryover from this season so 35 mil - 25 mil leaves 10 mil. Now is 10 mil really going to cripple the 2021 cap? Even if it's a 40 mil a year contract is 15 mil really going to cripple the 2021 cap?

Motorola

Reaction score
If Prescott doesn't sign a long term contract he'll get franchise tagged again so he won't be able to negotiate and/or sign with another team.
If the Cowboys put the non-exclusive tag on Prescott then, other teams can negotiate with him and his agent.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If the Cowboys put the non-exclusive tag on Prescott then, other teams can negotiate with him and his agent.

Because some people here keep preaching for the Cowboys to use the non-exclusive tag does not mean that both Jerry and Stephen are going to all of a sudden reverse their stance for the past couple years that Prescott is their QB for now and in the future and let any team have a crack at negotiating with Prescott. It's time to face reality that Prescott will either get a long term contract or will get the EXCLUSIVE tag again.

basel90

Reaction score
Lets say just for argument sake that Prescott signs a 35 mil a year contract. Now the Cowboys are going to have about 25 mil carryover from this season so 35 mil - 25 mil leaves 10 mil. Now is 10 mil really going to cripple the 2021 cap? Even if it's a 40 mil a year contract is 15 mil really going to cripple the 2021 cap?
Indeed it does . This team has many overpaid players like zeke . This team needs 70 + mil to rebuild towards a super bowl

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton for 7-10 M.....why are you over paying for a bum like him when he can be had way way less
right now Dalton's value is vet minimum. perhaps some incentives to push him above a million.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Indeed it does . This team has many overpaid players like zeke . This team needs 70 + mil to rebuild towards a super bowl

Ya either 10 mil or 15 mil is all it takes to blame Prescott for not having any cap space, except now you want to bring in other player's contracts so I guess that 10 mil or 15 mil really isn't as damaging as you said.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dalton for 7-10 M.....why are you over paying for a bum like him when he can be had way way less
right now Dalton's value is vet minimum. perhaps some incentives to push him above a million.

The vet minimum for a 10 year vet like Dalton for 2021 is 1.3 mil per year without any incentives. They won't get him for vet minimum since he made almost 3 times that this year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want Dalton even if we got a cap credit. He is a bum.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

No chance you keep him as a backup. We dont have the money for that and from what i read he also wants to start. Took the year only to prove he can be a starter in this league.

basel90

Reaction score
Ya either 10 mil or 15 mil is all it takes to blame Prescott for not having any cap space, except now you want to bring in other player's contracts so I guess that 10 mil or 15 mil really isn't as damaging as you said.
No . 10-15 won’t make the difference. The sum overpaid players will . Paying dak 35-40 mil willl doom this team ability to compete for a Super bowl . If your target is 8-8 and occasional playoff appearances and a happy politically correct cowboys , then dak @35-40 mil is a good way to go .

basel90

Reaction score
Indeed . You are right . The cheaper the better . Dalton is dispensable if we get dalton . Plus we have Gilbert as an option .

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No . 10-15 won’t make the difference. The sum overpaid players will . Paying dak 35-40 mil willl doom this team ability to compete for a Super bowl . If your target is 8-8 and occasional playoff appearances and a happy politically correct cowboys , then dak @35-40 mil is a good way to go .
The teams ability to compete is already doomed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The vet minimum for a 10 year vet like Dalton for 2021 is 1.3 mil per year without any incentives. They won't get him for vet minimum since he made almost 3 times that this year.
then let him walk. he is not worth a penny over that. perhaps if is willing to take the rest in incentives....

ESisback

Reaction score
The teams ability to compete is already doomed.
If you really believe that, why bother to watch the Cowboys? Why post here? If we’re so doomed, why bother with any of it? What’s the point?