Keep Dalton?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't renew him for one reason, the team isn't good enough to do anything without the QB1. If Prescott goes down, so does the team. No sense in taking cap money for a QB that cannot deliver because of what's around him. When the backup has to come in, what does the D have to do? Does this team look like that team to you?

The Cowboys never have options at QB because they don't create them. Can't allocate 5-7M for a backup QB when they're going to be paying the QB1 what they're paying him.

And that damned Dalton was a tanker killer. If not for him, they'd be picking in the top 5, maybe 3! Tankers need to be hatin' on Andy the Red!

Until the Cowboys can build around the QB, it doesn't matter who they back him up with. Good backup QB's belong on good teams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I thought we got our what 3 million worth out of him. Best back up we’ve had in years. We actually win a few games with him. It’s been awhile for a backup here to win multiple games in relief . 2010 I think?

And he wants to stay close to home. He’s a true Texan. That’s means something to us locals.
sorry, I wasn't impressed. he couldn't keep the team competitive against average or good teams or any starting QB...he beat up on three teams, bottom dewellers and playing their back up QBs, with the help of 9 turnovers....dannucci could have won 1 of those 3 games too.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
sorry, I wasn't impressed. he couldn't keep the team competitive against average or good teams or any starting QB...he beat up on three teams, bottom dewellers and playing their back up QBs, with the help of 9 turnovers....dannucci could have won 1 of those 3 games too.
You. Constantly getting the ball at the opponent’s 25 yard line instead of your own 25 yard line is a huge help.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But we have not had a backup in years that could win any of those games. Those are the games you must win . Cant really expect him to beat the beater teams . We would have struggled with our starters.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
But we have not had a backup in years that could win any of those games. Those are the games you must win . Cant really expect him to beat the beater teams . We would have struggled with our starters.
Brandon Weeden could have beaten those teams with the amount of help the defense and special teams gave the offense.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That’s purely a speculative opinion which can’t be proven.
Are you claiming he couldn’t beat those teams? I did read your post correctly claiming we hadn’t had a back up who could have won those games, right?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I didn't say beat, I said competitive....at least give the rest of the team a chance to step up....against WFT, AZ, NY he disappeared and against NY a 5-10 team, he choked in the end. he had 2 TO from defense to help him and couldn't....

he also doesn't bring anything to the table, he is older, getting worse and progress stopper. I rather go with Cooper Rush than him...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you claiming he couldn’t beat those teams? I did read your post correctly claiming we hadn’t had a back up who could have won those games, right?
I said we haven’t had a back up in years who had won games like that. But no,If it came off as such wasn’t my intention.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn't say beat, I said competitive....at least give the rest of the team a chance to step up....against WFT, AZ, NY he disappeared and against NY a 5-10 team, he choked in the end. he had 2 TO from defense to help him and couldn't....

he also doesn't bring anything to the table, he is older, getting worse and progress stopper. I rather go with Cooper Rush than him...
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. But I felt Andy was a suitable backup. Best we’ve had in years. That’s didn’t mean he didn’t have some flaws.

Personally, I’d rather do as Jimmy recommended by signing Dak and drafting a QB early.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Well, how much is cheap?
If for some reason Dak cannot play or signs somewhere else, then sure would like him back.

Why? if dak gets hurt again then its a sign his body cant do the nfl anymore and dalton isn't good enough for super bowl runs I doubt hes even a goff level qb now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wasn’t Kitna the last backup QB before Dalton to win multiple games for us?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No. Let him walk and hopefully net some sort of comp pick.

There are only 32 comp picks for the entire league the the most any team can get is 4 yet some here seem to think every player that leaves will get the Cowboys a comp pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well, how much is cheap?
If for some reason Dak cannot play or signs somewhere else, then sure would like him back.

If Prescott doesn't sign a long term contract he'll get franchise tagged again so he won't be able to negotiate and/or sign with another team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that he’s probably not the qb to give you the best shot to win in Jan but he’s a starting caliber qb in the nfl, granted a lower level starter, in my book that’s way more than a JAG...

also; I think if he has a starter role on a team for the whole offseason and time to prepare and build chemistry you will see his play improve just like he did with us down the stretch. Again, not better than dak and a middle of the road starter but still a starter nevertheless.

Just why would McCarthy tell Dalton that he was going to be the starter this off season? The only ones that don't think or want Prescott to be on the Cowboys next season are the Prescott haters, others have little or no doubts that Prescott will be the starting QB for the 2021 season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't renew him for one reason, the team isn't good enough to do anything without the QB1. If Prescott goes down, so does the team. No sense in taking cap money for a QB that cannot deliver because of what's around him. When the backup has to come in, what does the D have to do? Does this team look like that team to you?

The Cowboys never have options at QB because they don't create them. Can't allocate 5-7M for a backup QB when they're going to be paying the QB1 what they're paying him.

And that damned Dalton was a tanker killer. If not for him, they'd be picking in the top 5, maybe 3! Tankers need to be hatin' on Andy the Red!

Until the Cowboys can build around the QB, it doesn't matter who they back him up with. Good backup QB's belong on good teams.
Not only that, QB1 has got to be damn near perfect for the team to win.

Jipper

Reaction score
Just why would McCarthy tell Dalton that he was going to be the starter this off season? The only ones that don't think or want Prescott to be on the Cowboys next season are the Prescott haters, others have little or no doubts that Prescott will be the starting QB for the 2021 season.

I didn’t say mm would tell him he would be the starter I clearly stated “ on another team”... I was saying if he went to another team and was the starter going into the season....bc he’s going to be a starter somewhere in the nfl next year, just not in Dallas