Keep Garrett, fire Garrett's system

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A lame duck coach in the final year of his contract and he won't even have his own offensive system in place? Why bother? Just fire him if you are going to do that.

Like him or not, he has the right to control his own destiny.

He is already neutered by an overbearing Owner/GM, does everything need to be cut off?

He needs to acknowledge that his system isn't working and make that change. If not, I have no problem with firing him, too.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
It's funny how far people will go to try to keep such a mediocre coach. I joked once that someone would suggest at some point that we keep Garrett on board as head coach but take away his headset and don't allow him to do anything but stand on the sideline and slap people on the butt.

Threads like this make me really wonder if we aren't far from that being a serious suggestion.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's funny how far people will go to try to keep such a mediocre coach. I joked once that someone would suggest at some point that we keep Garrett on board as head coach but take away his headset and don't allow him to do anything but stand on the sideline and slap people on the butt.

Threads like this make me really wonder if we aren't far from that being a serious suggestion.

There have been some pretty great walk-around head coaches who allow the coordinators to do their jobs. Those coaches do much more than just stand on the sideline and slap people on the butt.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Then we would also need a coach in charge of calling or not calling timeouts, and a coach for challenging plays. Also a coach who would be in charge in the final 2 minutes of the game. And a clapping coach, he would be in charge of telling Jason when it is ok to clap.

Maybe then I would be ok with Red J staying on for next year.

This

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
There have been some pretty great walk-around head coaches who allow the coordinators to do their jobs. Those coaches do much more than just stand on the sideline and slap people on the butt.

I'm not saying there aren't great walk around coaches. I'm saying Jason Garrett isn't a great walk around coach.

A coach should be allowed to coach the team the way he sees fit. If Garrett thinks his system is best for the team, then he should run his system and if it fails, he should be fired.

When you start stripping away everything that you hired the coach for in the first place and trying to mold him into something else, it begs the question of why not just hire a new guy who fits that mold, instead of trying to make Garrett into something he isn't?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Garrett's System? That's a laugher, the most effective part of his "system" is when he scraps the gameplan and let's Romo play streetball.

Ginger Clap has not been an effective HC, way too many poor side line decisions, time mgmt, etc. I don't understand why people think he's so smart with all the simple game day mistakes he's made, that even JV coaches wouldn't have made. He's such a sharp football mind because he went to Princeton? Since when was Princeton considered a powerhouse football program?

Some say he "looks" good as HC and "sounds" good in post game pressers. Let's hire a real OC and HC and maybe we keep Ginger Clap just to do the post game pressers. He can prattle on about stacking good days, assuming there are two good days in a row, keep parroting about how this is a "process" and about having the "Right Kind of Guys" What this team needs is the Right Kind of Coach.

For those who thinks Ginger Clap looks good on the sidelines.... well I think the team has just the right job for him

http://i221.***BLOCKED***/albums/dd249/Roadtrip635/rowdygarrett_zps317afbd0.png

Now that's the RKG!

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm not saying there aren't great walk around coaches. I'm saying Jason Garrett isn't a great walk around coach.

A coach should be allowed to coach the team the way he sees fit. If Garrett thinks his system is best for the team, then he should run his system and if it fails, he should be fired.

When you start stripping away everything that you hired the coach for in the first place and trying to mold him into something else, it begs the question of why not just hire a new guy who fits that mold, instead of trying to make Garrett into something he isn't?

I can sort of see your point, but I think Garrett is young enough in his head-coaching career that he doesn't know what kind of head coach he's going to be. It's still a learning experience for him.

I think his attributes fit the mold of a walk-around head coach, but he's got to come to that conclusion himself. If he can learn to be "just" the guy shaping his philosophy around better coordinating minds, I think he'll have a good career as a head coach. If he wants to keep thinking his offensive system is best for the team, then he's a .500 head coach who isn't going to be around long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post.

If you have to take so much away from him, why keep him at all?

At this point, the only thing I'm seeing from him are cliché-filled press conferences, where he talks a good game.

But I'm not seeing any answers or coaching that's helping this team improve and win.

tantrix1969

Reaction score

yep,that'd be as stupid as taking a qb whose best game is being Favre-light & trying to mold him into a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning...oh wait

visionary

Reaction score

People are just not willing to admit they were duped so they will cling to any shred or straw to maintain their self esteem and not have to admit how wrong they were about Garrett

That is exactly how Jerry feels and I truly believe that it will take the team tanking for Jerry to fire him

I think Jason will be back next year even if we go 7-9 and these same fans will be telling us how it was all injuries or Callahan or grandpa and not Garrett

Hope and faith and believe will be the rallying cry

Just wait

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
What else should they do to ensure he can succeed as a head coach? Every year a move is made to help him, sooner or later they will run out of ways.

RS12

Reaction score
Below .500 16-1 T-1st
.500 or Above 4-19 T-28th
*Uses current win pct for 2013

From the "you are what your record says you are department". Garrett's record versus teams below 500 ,and teams above 500. There is really nothing else to say. "You play to win the game." End of thread.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
http://i221.***BLOCKED***/albums/dd249/Roadtrip635/rowdygarrett_zps317afbd0.png

Now that's the RKG![/quote]

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Below .500 16-1 T-1st
.500 or Above 4-19 T-28th
*Uses current win pct for 2013

From the "you are what your record says you are department". Garrett's record versus teams below 500 ,and teams above 500. There is really nothing else to say. "You play to win the game." End of thread.

This is the bottom line with Opie...........................unless we are playing the Rams or Jags......................expect a loss.