Keep Garrett, fire Garrett's system

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't think the offensive line is 'horrible' at all, far from it. And this from someone who has been highly critical of the group in the past.

Why we've actually tried to run the ball, we have. We simply have coaches who show no interest in it or commitment to it.

If you want to claim injuries have ruined the defensive line, I can buy that. But the same can't be used as an excuse for the offense.

Garrett is not bringing anything of tangible impact as it relates to wins and losses, that's why this team stays at .500 while beating the bad teams and losing to the good ones.

Enough talented playmakers at key positions, but coaches getting schooled whenever the talent ratio is close.

Garrett and Company bring nothing to help this team win on Sundays, and that's why they don't.

The offensive line is horrible. Time for people to start to realize this as if it's not obvious. The coaches don't run the ball because they have no confidence it will be successful. It's not successful because they can't do it consistently. That all starts with the line. All coaches know that you have to be able to run the ball so if they can they will. But they can't. And that's Jerry's fault, not any of the coaches IMO.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
teams ranked above us also benefited from defensive scores

Not as much as Dallas has.

We are 4th in average starting field position, yet 19th in yards per drive and 11th in points per drive.

We also rank 2nd in Special Teams efficiency according to FO.com.

Meanwhile the defense ranks 5th in turnovers force per drive.

The offense has been inefficient and has been saved by our defense forcing turnovers and scoring points along with Harris' great special teams play.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The offensive line is horrible. Time for people to start to realize this as if it's not obvious. The coaches don't run the ball because they have no confidence it will be successful. It's not successful because they can't do it consistently. That all starts with the line. All coaches know that you have to be able to run the ball so if they can they will. But they can't. And that's Jerry's fault, not any of the coaches IMO.

Mularkey.

Here's the FO.com's rankings for running at different spots along the OL:

Left End: 22nd
Left Tackle: 4th
Mid/Guard: 28th
Right Tackle: 7th
Right End: 13th

They also rank 10th in Adjusted Sacks Allowed.

Horrible?

No.

It's fairly decent and considering that Murray was out for a while and we had Tanner and Randle running...the run numbers would look even better. And let's not forget that anytime we snap from under center, there's an 80% chance we are running the ball. Way to keep our playcalling unpredictable.

YR

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Mularkey.

Here's the FO.com's rankings for running at different spots along the OL:

Left End: 22nd
Left Tackle: 4th
Mid/Guard: 28th
Right Tackle: 7th
Right End: 13th

They also rank 10th in Adjusted Sacks Allowed.

Horrible?

No.

It's fairly decent and considering that Murray was out for a while and we had Tanner and Randle running...the run numbers would look even better. And let's not forget that anytime we snap from under center, there's an 80% chance we are running the ball. Way to keep our playcalling unpredictable.

YR

Stats are for suckers. This is football. Can you honestly say the Cowboys run the ball effectively even when they do run the ball? Romo is an extremely elusive QB which skews your stats and make them meaningless.

visionary

Reaction score

We are 4th in average starting field position, yet 19th in yards per drive and 11th in points per drive.

The offense has been inefficient and has been saved by our defense forcing turnovers and scoring points along with Harris' great special teams play.

YR

game, set, and match

TrailBlazer

Reaction score

Our o line was horrible last year and the year before. But it's much better this year. Around average. Tony has time to throw. Sometimes he expects a pass rush that isn't there and he takes his eyes away from looking downfield. Also we were steamrolling the saints running the ball in the first quarter. Everything can't be Jerry's fault. And the fact that we don't run very often or effectively isn't all his fault.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yes we have some problems on offense. To have a chance at winning the division they need to make some changes or they aren't going to overcome the defense. I'm hoping the defensive play is better.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Stats are for suckers. This is football. Can you honestly say the Cowboys run the ball effectively even when they do run the ball? Romo is an extremely elusive QB which skews your stats and make them meaningless.

Everyone says he's extremely elusive. But I don't see it anymore. He looks pretty easy to sack back there. He gets happy feet and just goes down on his own or runs into the back of one of his own lineman. RGIII is extremely elusive. Ware always has trouble getting Eli to the ground when he gets to him too. There are a lot of qb's who I think are more athletic than romo.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score

YR

the defense also allows long, time consuming drives, which takes away offensive opportunities.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Everyone says he's extremely elusive. But I don't see it anymore. He looks pretty easy to sack back there. He gets happy feet and just goes down on his own or runs into the back of one of his own lineman. RGIII is extremely elusive. Ware always has trouble getting Eli to the ground when he gets to him too. There are a lot of qb's who I think are more athletic than romo.

I guess you haven't watched many Cowboy games and seen Romo twist out of trouble time and time and time and time, etc. again.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
What exactly would Garrett's purpose be then? It's put up or shut up for him and he knows it. Honestly if Garrett is fired, I'll be excited about the offensive changes because Romo has been in the same system for 7 years and it's produced one playoff win. It's time for a change.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

They're not an awful O-Line. They are decent. When we have had Murray in the game and we run the ball, we run it fairly well. Murray is averaging 4.9 yards per carry. It's Randle and Dunbar that slowed things up.

If you can't see that Romo has a lot more time to throw, then you're just trying to blindly stick by your statements on the O-Line. Like I said, it ain't perfect, but the O-Line hasn't been a problem this season.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A lame duck coach in the final year of his contract and he won't even have his own offensive system in place? Why bother? Just fire him if you are going to do that.

Like him or not, he has the right to control his own destiny.

He is already neutered by an overbearing Owner/GM, does everything need to be cut off?

Hey Al, how you been?

I tend to agree with your post here. If it comes to that, it's better to part ways and just move on.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What exactly would Garrett's purpose be then? It's put up or shut up for him and he knows it. Honestly if Garrett is fired, I'll be excited about the offensive changes because Romo has been in the same system for 7 years and it's produced one playoff win. It's time for a change.

His purpose is to lead and manage a team to win the Super Bowl. That's every HC's purpose. This idea that any HC must call plays is ludicrous since the league has been predominantly having coordinators call plays for years.

The issue I see with Garrett is that we clearly have a problem with how this offense plays. Even if it plays well, it can't play well consistently. I used to think that Wade was the real problem given how he ran practices. Now I see that Wade was only part of the issue as the offense is far more disciplined with out him. But we still have issue with an offense that lacks creative ways to get their best players the ball in open space, that requires too much clear domination of one-on-one battles, that has a faulty risk-reward principles and refuses to get on their QB when he audibles out of a running play again.

If Garrett can't fix it by now as the head coach of the team, I just highly doubt it will be ever fixed as long as he's the HC. I could be wrong, but at the very least I have my doubts regardless of who the O-Coordinator is.

YR

visionary

Reaction score
the defense also allows long, time consuming drives, which takes away offensive opportunities.

:p
maybe our defense should allow quick scoring drives to allow our offense to reach its full potential

one of the funniest things i have heard in a long time

links18

Reaction score
5th in points scored on a unit with a defense that stays on the field a ton is my point.

Offense wasn't even close to competitive last week. It disappears for long stretches of games; can't keep drives going, etc. Both sides of the ball affect the other, but the offense has been a let down as much as anything else.