Keep Garrett, fire Garrett's system

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Kiffin gets fired. He might retire, but his defense is predicated on pass rushers and he wasn't dealt a full hand this year, and I think Garrett and Jones will keep that in consideration.
Completely agree. I read non-stop that Kiffin needs to be fired and I keep thinking about our DL and S postions and wonder how we expected him to succeed.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
His purpose is to lead and manage a team to win the Super Bowl. That's every HC's purpose. This idea that any HC must call plays is ludicrous since the league has been predominantly having coordinators call plays for years.

The issue I see with Garrett is that we clearly have a problem with how this offense plays. Even if it plays well, it can't play well consistently. I used to think that Wade was the real problem given how he ran practices. Now I see that Wade was only part of the issue as the offense is far more disciplined with out him. But we still have issue with an offense that lacks creative ways to get their best players the ball in open space, that requires too much clear domination of one-on-one battles, that has a faulty risk-reward principles and refuses to get on their QB when he audibles out of a running play again.

If Garrett can't fix it by now as the head coach of the team, I just highly doubt it will be ever fixed as long as he's the HC. I could be wrong, but at the very least I have my doubts regardless of who the O-Coordinator is.

YR

I agree with the HC's responsibilities you just mentioned, but the Cowboys have taken play-calling duties away from him. Now you're going to throw Garrett's offensive playbook in the trash and bring in a new offensive coordinator and new system (I'm assuming). If I was a Dallas Cowboy player, I would have serious doubts about Garrett as the head coach and what his actual role(s) are. Great points though, especially pertaining to the lack of creativity and the requirements of needing to line up and just win your battle. Sometimes you have to outcoach your opponent and off the top of my head I cannot remember a game when Garrett CLEARLY outcoached the opposing team. The Eagles playoff win?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Offense wasn't even close to competitive last week. It disappears for long stretches of games; can't keep drives going, etc. Both sides of the ball affect the other, but the offense has been a let down as much as anything else.

Romo was horrid

Nation

Reaction score
That doesn't mean the offense is efficient. 35 of those points came from special teams and defense. Not counting the numerous times the offense was in great field position due to a turnover forced by the defense or Harris having a great punt return.

YR

Football Outsiders, which tracks statistics based on situation and opponent has us 12th in overall offense. We aren't Top 5 efficient but we aren't a disaster either.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I guess you haven't watched many Cowboy games and seen Romo twist out of trouble time and time and time and time, etc. again.

I dont think hes as good at it anymore. He's definitely not "extremely elusive" but I guess he's not drew Bledsoe either. I just think there's a lot of qb's that are more elusive than tony.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I agree with the HC's responsibilities you just mentioned, but the Cowboys have taken play-calling duties away from him. Now you're going to throw Garrett's offensive playbook in the trash and bring in a new offensive coordinator and new system (I'm assuming). If I was a Dallas Cowboy player, I would have serious doubts about Garrett as the head coach and what his actual role(s) are. Great points though, especially pertaining to the lack of creativity and the requirements of needing to line up and just win your battle. Sometimes you have to outcoach your opponent and off the top of my head I cannot remember a game when Garrett CLEARLY outcoached the opposing team. The Eagles playoff win?

I wouldn't have any doubts about Garrett's role. He's the guy in charge of the team. I would rather have a HC that can face it when things are not working and try an alternative route rather than stubbornly stick to the same things that don't work well. The key is if you're going to go an alternative route that you study all of the options and have good reason for pick whatever alternative route you want to take instead of changing just for the sake of changing.

And I think Garrett clearly out-coached Coughlin in the season opener last year and badly out-coached Chip Kelly this year.

YR

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any doubts about Garrett's role. He's the guy in charge of the team. I would rather have a HC that can face it when things are not working and try an alternative route rather than stubbornly stick to the same things that don't work well. The key is if you're going to go an alternative route that you study all of the options and have good reason for pick whatever alternative route you want to take instead of changing just for the sake of changing.

And I think Garrett clearly out-coached Coughlin in the season opener last year and badly out-coached Chip Kelly this year.

YR

I'd have to disagree with Garrett out-coaching Coughlin mainly because if we don't create just half of those turnovers, the Giants win pretty handily.

I guess you can say we out-coached Chip Kelly, but only 17 points on offense is still concerning to me. If Foles is actually on, we probably lose that game 24-17 or something.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with Garrett out-coaching Coughlin mainly because if we don't create just half of those turnovers, the Giants win pretty handily.

I guess you can say we out-coached Chip Kelly, but only 17 points on offense is still concerning to me. If Foles is actually on, we probably lose that game 24-17 or something.

2012 season opener....not the 2013 season opener.

Foles stunk, I'd like to think our defense had something to do with it. McCoy was nowhere to be found.

YR

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We have only scored 12 offensive TDs since the Denver game.............thats 12 TDs in 5 games.............not a surprise that we have lost 2 of our last 3 games with such an anemic offense.

For some unknown reason, ever since the Denver game our offense has gone off the cliff.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Garrett has been here seven years. He has been in charge of the offense for seven years.

In that time has this franchise ever fielded a disciplined team that was not in the top ten in penalties?

If for no other reason, this speaks to the core of his leadership and causing the players to respect/fear his ire if they screw something up.

They don't.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I don't think Kiffin gets fired. He might retire, but his defense is predicated on pass rushers and he wasn't dealt a full hand this year, and I think Garrett and Jones will keep that in consideration.

Would love to see Marinelli take over for him, though.

This week, the defense returns all of its secondary and three players who rush the passer well according to various metrics. I'm interested to see what comes of it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Give a guy a job and let him ride that job all the way up to the head coaching decision......and then announce you shouldn't have given him that job in the first place.

Sounds very Jerry-like.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep the head coach! Then tell him how to do his job!

Jerry's proud of you.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just dont see how a team can set the NFL record for the worst defense in the history of the league..................and the exact same coordinator is brought back the following year.

First year of system ... injuries ... blah, blah, blah.

There are a lot of excuses built in this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Garrett as a head coach cannot see the failure of his team and hold people responsible for their departments and the failure those departments might be adding to the over-all team experience, then what good is bringing in another system. If the system he is most familiar with can slip past his keen eye the weaknesses, then what would a new system do to Hawkeye Garrett?

People sometimes fail to see their own flaws, but can readily acknowledge the flaws of others.

I think Garrett believes he has the right offensive system in place, but I also believe he is wrong. If he stays, he needs to acknowledge that his system has not worked and go get someone whose system has.

If Dallas goes 8-8 again and Garrett refuses to change, then he needs to go.