Twitter: Keith Smith To The Raiders

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Just for everyone's clarification, he does not qualify for a comp pick. He was an ERFA/RFA that was not tendered.

Big_D

Reaction score
You'll see the Raiders use the FB effectively in the running game.

JustChip

Reaction score
Let's be honest. He was crap.

I wouldn't say he was crap, he was a good ST player and ok FB. But he's definitely not an integral piece or irreplaceable. Maybe Gruden pictures him as the 2nd coming of Mike Alstott and maybe he will be in Gruden's system.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why do you think we are hoarding comp picks?

With their fourth round pick, the Dallas Cowboys select fullback---

I've been wanting us to draft a bona fide fullback for years, but we've pretty much blown finding the next Moose with every shot we've taken. If we could get a powerful lead blocker who could catch out of the backfield and even run a little, we'd need less of the two-tight end mess that we keep making each year.

I don't think Flowers would be a bad pickup if we can get him in the late fourth or in the fifth.

Alexander

Reaction score
I've been wanting us to draft a bona fide fullback for years, but we've pretty much blown finding the next Moose with every shot we've taken. If we could get a powerful lead blocker who could catch out of the backfield and even run a little, we'd need less of the two-tight end mess that we keep making each year.

I don't think Flowers would be a bad pickup if we can get him in the late fourth or in the fifth.
That is one of the strangest board fetishes I have seen around here. Thirsting over getting a true fullback who might play a handful of snaps per game.

There usually is one or two per year that show up on "pet cat" lists around here and people start thinking they are the next Moose or something.

Here are the "true" fullbacks that have been drafted in the past five years.

2017 - Alex Armah, Sam Rogers, Marquez Williams
2016 - Andy Janovich, Dan Vitale, Derek Watt
2015 - Jalston Fowler, Michael Burton, Aaron Ripkowski, Joey Iosefa
2014 - Jay Prosch, Trey Millard
2013 - Kyle Juszcyzk, Tommy Bohanon

What, one or two are even recognizable? Most go through a couple of teams and never stick around.

They are expendable and it seems like a waste of a draft pick to me.

You can take some LBer that is too slow and convert them, just like Smith.

Big_D

Reaction score
I guarantee you would be screaming if we gave him that contract

Because he's strictly a special teamer and not used on offense. I think he will be utilized much differently in Oakland and that money would just be wasted here. That's the difference.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I would just try bulking Rod Smith up a little bit more and he is better at running and catching then Keith Smith ever thought of being.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would just try bulking Rod Smith up a little bit more and he is better at running and catching then Keith Smith ever thought of being.

I think that's probably been the plan. I don't think they will bulk him up but with Zeke not suspended.....I think the plan is to get Rod Smith on the field some.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That is one of the strangest board fetishes I have seen around here. Thirsting over getting a true fullback who might play a handful of snaps per game.

There usually is one or two per year that show up on "pet cat" lists around here and people start thinking they are the next Moose or something.

Here are the "true" fullbacks that have been drafted in the past five years.

2017 - Alex Armah, Sam Rogers, Marquez Williams
2016 - Andy Janovich, Dan Vitale, Derek Watt
2015 - Jalston Fowler, Michael Burton, Aaron Ripkowski, Joey Iosefa
2014 - Jay Prosch, Trey Millard
2013 - Kyle Juszcyzk, Tommy Bohanon

What, one or two are even recognizable? Most go through a couple of teams and never stick around.

They are expendable and it seems like a waste of a draft pick to me.

You can take some LBer that is too slow and convert them, just like Smith.

One of the reasons teams have gone to two tight ends is because it's difficult to find a quality fullback who can do it all. Fullbacks are generally better blockers out of the backfield because they are lower to the ground and used to attacking like a runner instead of a tight end. Tight ends are generally better receivers, though, while the fullback position isn't used much as a runner so that doesn't really matter.

Garrett prefers having a fullback on the roster, so if we're going to do it, then we should get one who is adept at clearing out the hole and catching the ball. Why put an inferior player on the field even if it's only for a few snaps? IMO, if we could find a good one, then he would steal some snaps from the second tight end. If he was real good, he might even take those snaps and return the offense to one that has an effective lead blocker coming out of the backfield who is also good for those few passes we throw to the second tight end.

Frankly, I feel the same way about the second tight end. If you're going to use one, don't just stick a body out there, get a player that enhances your offense.

Alexander

Reaction score
The blocking piece is what needs to be the concern, never really concentrated on that to see how he does there.

We don't run from the fullback position and he is good enough receiver though.

If they go this route, more "position flex".