Twitter: Keith Smith To The Raiders

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Smith was an OK fullback, essentially a special-teammer that they found a position for because he wasn't good enough as a linebacker. Hopefully, this will force us to upgrade the position, but probably not.

Of course, I doubt we're going to find anyone that cheap in FA, so it will be up to a late-round pick or UDFA.

Smith could dig LB out of holes on running downs and had consistent hands. He wasn't Chuck Foreman but no one is these days.

He was the best FB we had in the past couple decades and one of the best in the league.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And Garrett's preference for that has cost us before.

Remember Lawrence Vickers?

There are mistakes any way we go about it, with far more made by our team on drafting tight ends early. There are fullbacks I've wanted in the past who would have enhanced the position, but we've done a poor job of finding them.

Imagine if we had spent a late-round pick on Vonta Leach in 2004 or John Kuhn in 2005. Getting Marcel Reece in 2008 also would have required a minimal investment. Mike Tolbert also was an undrafted free agent that we could have secured with a late-round pick. Same with Patrick DiMarco more recently.

Again, if you want to say phase out the fullback, I'm fine with going to an H-back-only offense and getting the best H-back we can get. But if we're going to use the fullback, then let's get one who is actually as much of a threat as possible when he's on the field.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Smith could dig LB out of holes on running downs and had consistent hands. He wasn't Chuck Foreman but no one is these days.

He was the best FB we had in the past couple decades and one of the best in the league.

I agree that he was one of the best we've had in a while. I think we should strive to do better.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Nice ST player. Could have tendered him. $2.9 millions for how many plays as a FB and ST player. Meh, better uses elsewhere

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The blocking piece is what needs to be the concern, never really concentrated on that to see how he does there.

We don't run from the fullback position and he is good enough receiver though.

If they go this route, more "position flex".
Last year we kept 15 Rbs, TEs and WRs

That seemed excessive
5RBs
4TEs
6WRs

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure of that

2.1m might not rate anyways
There were some people on Twitter that immediately praised the situation and started to talk about it. Then they realized they were wrong.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
2.1M ties him for 3rd as the highest priced FB

1. Kyle Juszczyk 5.2M
2. Ryan Hewitt 2.5M
3. Patrick DiMarco 2.1M

Kuhn, Tolbert, Line, and Coleman are all free agents and all made less than 1M.

I would have given Smith half of what he got at most.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He was a great FB, but of course this coaching staff never figured out how to use him in the running game very much.

LIke another poster said, he only played 11% of the offensive snaps last year.

I bet Chucky figures out how to use him more than 11% of the snaps.

CalebTC84

Reaction score
Happy for him. I let him get his payday. I'm not sure where the hate on the FO is coming from about this FA signing. Would you have wanted to pay Keith Smith this contract?

Cowboy fans are frustrated with the quiet week for Dallas with the glitz of free agent signings happening all across the NFL. The fact is we've done, IMO , three huge deals that made our team better for next season.

1. First priority we obviously tagged Lawrence for 17 million.

2. Tendered Irving for that second round draft pick with ability to match

3. Restructured Fredericks deal

I liked prioritizing those two defensive players first even though we had to give up paying Hitch and we lost him. But again... Would you have wanted to pay Hitch 9 million a season?!

With Fredericks deal we've put ourselves in a position to take a second look at FA. Let's see how Dez talks shake out.

Section446

Reaction score
That's too bad, I always liked him. Good for him for getting paid though.