Kellen Moore doing an almost complete overhaul of Eagles playbook

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All QBs struggle at times… but I’ve never seen so many comeback routes or curls than with the Cowboys…across coaches with Dak. If we continue to see it this year with the Eagles, then we can certainly call it a coaching flaw that migrated to them. I guess we’ll see.
Linehan did not do the triple curls nor did MM last season so it is only across Garret and his protege.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Hurts’ deep ball is probably one of the better parts of his game. Where he needs to improve is passes in the middle of the field. Some of that may have been play-calling last year… Or some of that may have been their fear of his ability in that area. Reports from OTAs is that they are forcing him to go to that area more. We will see this year if he improves there or not.
I'd agree that he has a strong enough arm to be able to be good at it. Just going off the numbers though I'm not seeing a great deep ball thrower. On passes over 20 yards he was:

69 attempts 34% completion with 8 INTs....average of 3.58 seconds to throw

For comparison Dak last year was

82 attempts 45% completion with 1 INT....average of 2.95 seconds to throw

That's just a snap shot, but the advanced metrics don't paint a much better picture. Maybe 2023 was a quirky year, especially the back half of the year IDK.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I'd agree that he has a strong enough arm to be able to be good at it. Just going off the numbers though I'm not seeing a great deep ball thrower. On passes over 20 yards he was:

69 attempts 34% completion with 8 INTs....average of 3.58 seconds to throw

For comparison Dak last year was

82 attempts 45% completion with 1 INT....average of 2.95 seconds to throw

That's just a snap shot, but the advanced metrics don't paint a much better picture. Maybe 2023 was a quirky year, especially the back half of the year IDK.
Now do the same for 2022… I think everybody here would agree that coaching does matter. Their offensive coordinator last year was a first timer and clueless.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Now do the same for 2022… I think everybody here would agree that coaching does matter. Their offensive coordinator last year was a first timer and clueless.
71 attempts 36% completion, 3 INTs, 3.19 seconds to throw. Overall pretty similar numbers with the exception of the turnovers. And dont get me wrong either, I'm not saying the guy is a horrible down field passer, I just dont think he's as good as Dak and probably not Herbert either.

I wish I could find some data broken down by route type, because that's really where my point was coming from. You'll see a lot fewer downfield crossing routes and a lot more go routes under Moore. An exotic deep route to Moore is for AJ Brown to run an option route.... post if its cover 2, Go if manned up, and curl if Cover 3 or 4. Jalen will probably be asked to throw more 50/50 balls this year than he has in the past.

mcmvp

Reaction score
71 attempts 36% completion, 3 INTs, 3.19 seconds to throw. Overall pretty similar numbers with the exception of the turnovers. And dont get me wrong either, I'm not saying the guy is a horrible down field passer, I just dont think he's as good as Dak and probably not Herbert either.

I wish I could find some data broken down by route type, because that's really where my point was coming from. You'll see a lot fewer downfield crossing routes and a lot more go routes under Moore. An exotic deep route to Moore is for AJ Brown to run an option route.... post if its cover 2, Go if manned up, and curl if Cover 3 or 4. Jalen will probably be asked to throw more 50/50 balls this year than he has in the past.
If you have been closely watching the Eagles, throwing 50/50 balls is what he’s been doing with AJ the last two years. The difference is we had better play calling in 2022 under Steichen (who is miles better than what we had last year). I’m not saying Kellen Moore is the next great OC in the NFL, I just know he is a heck of a lot better than what we had last year. I have a hard time believing the go routes can be increased anymore than last year. If anything… They threw deep way too much last year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Kellen Moore doing an almost complete overhaul of Eagles playbook
By TCDeckard Jun 9, 2024

PHILADELPHIA — Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts said “95%” of the offense being installed this offseason is new, shedding light on the degree of change being made under offensive coordinator Kellen Moore following the team’s 1-6 slide to end 2023.

“You get to a point where you feel, I’m going to be comfortable with this, I like this, that time comes when you can rep it, rep it, rep it later on, but right now it’s been a lot of new inventory in — the majority of it, probably 95% of it being new — and so it’s just been that process, and it’s been a fun process because you get to see what works for other people,” Hurts said.

“I think the goal coming in was to learn Kellen’s offense and to master it, and I think that’s been a process, and by the end of it, I want it to be mine and have it in my own way.”

More: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ybook-jeremy-chinn-commanders-giants-playoffs
Maybe the Eagles can execute the RB snap better than we did.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don’t care… I’m not one of the blind people that think coaches called the same stuff no matter what team they coach for
It was KM as OC when Dak led the league in picks. As you say: coaching matters.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I know…and again, I don’t care. Picks are not on the OC as much as they are on the QB or, in some cases, the WRs
:laugh: so coaching doesn't matter.

Dak was top 5 in pick rate last year. Worst to best. What do you think changed?

mcmvp

Reaction score
:laugh: so coaching doesn't matter.

Dak was top 5 in pick rate last year. Worst to best. What do you think changed?
Oh good lord…it has to be McCarthy, right? Dak never had a problem throwing picks except that one year…and Moore was his coach for more than one season.

Cowboys were also much better with Redzone efficiency under KM than they were last year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Oh good lord…it has to be McCarthy, right? Dak never had a problem throwing picks except that one year…and Moore was his coach for more than one season.

Cowboys were also much better with Redzone efficiency under KM than they were last year.
Yeah MM who has developed Gannon, Brooks, and Rodgers into pro bowl or better QBs over his career.

I think it has to do with the reads at the core of the offense. And yeah our RB and OL has been declining the past several years as Martin and Smith aged. No RB now.

I don't see that changing much unless our rookies end up road graders and our right side has a rejuvenation.

I am just so glad to see that offense you now have out of Dallas. It is a lot of the same crap we were running in the division 25 years ago.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Yeah MM who has developed Gannon, Brooks, and Rodgers into pro bowl or better QBs over his career.

I think it has to do with the reads at the core of the offense. And yeah our RB and OL has been declining the past several years as Martin and Smith aged. No RB now.

I don't see that changing much unless our rookies end up road graders and our right side has a rejuvenation.

I am just so glad to see that offense you now have out of Dallas. It is a lot of the same crap we were running in the division 25 years ago.
Well we can at least agree on one thing…we both are glad to be rid of our past OCs. KM may not be the best out there, but there is almost no chance he’s not a decent upgrade over what we had last year

I do think you’re being a bit harsh when it comes to KM, however. He was just that season’s scapegoat. There’s a reason he was only unemployed for about a half hour. It’s not like they did not have a top ranked offense under him.

JustChip

Reaction score
Cannot really disagree with that but KM still cannot design a run game is what I get most out of that.
Most OCs that were former QBs struggle with that. Dan Marino would would be a horrible OC. Just my opinion, but too many blame the Dolphins for him not having a quality running game, but I don’t think it’s quite that clear cut. I’m sure Marino had the option to change the play at the LoS and probably had the propensity to go pass. Also, a hood OC listens to what his QB wants to do, or feels comfortable with, when calling plays.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yes he did. All of what you listed here would be labeled excuses if we were talking about the Cowboys having failed as miserably as the Chargers did. His job was to get the most out of the team that was put out there. They were in the bottom third of the league on offense while the Cowboys were #1 without him and #1 with him. That tells me HE was not the difference maker in Dallas and he is not likely to be the difference maker in Philly.
Uh no, they were not bottom of the league in offense when Herbert was playing, even with his broken hand and could hardly hold onto the ball and all the injuries and Staley’s defense...

GINeric

Reaction score
Not really, it's more about their play.

Well their play was great, but they weren't able to lead their teams to Superbowl victories like Trent Dilpher and Nick Foles.

So is it safe to say that Kelly and Marino weren't better than Dilpher and Foles when it MOST mattered??

GINeric

Reaction score
I want to propose a scenario.....

Lets say the Iggles grasp the offense, go on a tear, and end up in the super bowl. Will it be an indictment on the Cowboys (#4 and the HC specifically) that they weren't able to reach the same level when Moore was their OC? I'm not saying I think Moore is that good, but it will make people wonder why he could get it done there but failed in Dallas and LA.

No it wouldn't be an indictment against anyone in Dallas or LA because the Eagles have a better offensive line, better running back, a better receiving and a better defense than both Dallas and LA at the time Moore was in both places.

So basically if the Eagles end up in the Superbowl, it would be INSPITE of Kellen Moore. Moore is still the dumbest offensive coordinator in the NFL until proven otherwise.

His in-game adjustments and situational play calling to the flow of the game is TRASH. He has a very low football IQ when it comes to in-game adjustments and situational football.

The Eagles already proved the can reach the Superbowl so if they made it again, it won't be because of Moore, it will because of the talent they still have there. He'd be going for the ride.

GINeric

Reaction score
Uh no, they were not bottom of the league in offense when Herbert was playing, even with his broken hand and could hardly hold onto the ball and all the injuries and Staley’s defense...

Those sound like a bunch of excuses to me. The injuries and defense aren't factored in when discussing the failures of other offenses and quarterbacks, so we can't let this excuse slide here.

Moore is trash and Herbert still hasn't won a playoff game yet and got paid Power Ball lottery money..... nah.... don't even try to pull out the "injury and defense" BS excuses.

GINeric

Reaction score
He technically didn’t fail in LA. They had multiple injuries, including their starting WRs. Mike Williams was lost for the season, after catching 7 receptions for 121 yards and Allen had 18 catches for 215 yards the same game against the Vikings.

Their OL was injured anc a mess as they lost their starting Center Linsley , their O-line coach was inherited from the last OC, Lombardi who sucked and he had like 2 years total experience prior and they couldn’t run block with anything or pick up a proper blitz, Herbert had a finger injury and couldn’t even hold the ball….

And Staley was probably the worst coach in the league.

Man..... the excuses yall make for other quarterbacks are the same things yall blame OUR quarterback in the same identical situations....

1. You mentioned the offensive line being banged up? Last year was the first time in 3 years our starting offensive line PLAYED TOGETHER.....

2. You said they couldn't run block or pick up blitzes..... well the season we lost our best backfield blitz blocker (Zeke) and our weakest year of running the ball, our quarterback became an All-Pro and was in MVP considerations....

3. Add on top of that, we were the most penalized team in the NFL for 2 or 3 seasons STRAIGHT!!! That makes it hard on the entire offense.

4. Then you mentioned his finger injury??? Boo F'ing hoo..... Dak play injured before and didn't play well, but his injuries were ignored when talking about his bad games at that time. Yall like to overlook Dak tailing off after he plays injured. Remember we he tweaked his leg on the last play of that Patriots win and it affected his game the next couple of weeks?? Yeah....

So what's all these damn excuses for Herbert? Dak remained a top 10 quarterback, became an All Pro and put himself in the MVP race without the aid of a functioning running game through all the offensive line injuries and bad play calling by trash *** KM.

So again.... what are all the excuses for Herbert??? This man hasn't even won a playoff game and is one of the highest paid quarterbacks in NFL history. Make it make sense that you are giving excuses to one quarterback for the same situations that you bash another......