Kellen Moore doing an almost complete overhaul of Eagles playbook

khiladi

Reaction score
I want to propose a scenario.....

Lets say the Iggles grasp the offense, go on a tear, and end up in the super bowl. Will it be an indictment on the Cowboys (#4 and the HC specifically) that they weren't able to reach the same level when Moore was their OC? I'm not saying I think Moore is that good, but it will make people wonder why he could get it done there but failed in Dallas and LA.
He technically didn’t fail in LA. They had multiple injuries, including their starting WRs. Mike Williams was lost for the season, after catching 7 receptions for 121 yards and Allen had 18 catches for 215 yards the same game against the Vikings.

Their OL was injured anc a mess as they lost their starting Center Linsley , their O-line coach was inherited from the last OC, Lombardi who sucked and he had like 2 years total experience prior and they couldn’t run block with anything or pick up a proper blitz, Herbert had a finger injury and couldn’t even hold the ball….

And Staley was probably the worst coach in the league.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I want to propose a scenario.....

Lets say the Iggles grasp the offense, go on a tear, and end up in the super bowl. Will it be an indictment on the Cowboys (#4 and the HC specifically) that they weren't able to reach the same level when Moore was their OC? I'm not saying I think Moore is that good, but it will make people wonder why he could get it done there but failed in Dallas and LA.
Is it out of the realm of possibility that Moore could have learned some lessons along the way and he gets his crap together in Eagle-land? Guys are SUPPOSED to learn and improve are they not? Moore could figure out all the stupid things he tried in Dallas and LA and correct them in Philly. I don't think it's bloody likely, but I do not dismiss the possibility. At least not completely.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He technically didn’t fail in LA. They had multiple injuries, including their starting WRs. Mike Williams was lost for the season, after catching 7 receptions for 121 yards and Allen had 18 catches for 215 yards the same game against the Vikings.

Their OL was injured anc a mess as they lost their starting Center Linsley , their O-line coach was inherited from the last OC, Lombardi who sucked and he had like 2 years total experience prior and they couldn’t run block with anything or pick up a proper blitz, Herbert had a finger injury and couldn’t even hold the ball….

Yes he did. All of what you listed here would be labeled excuses if we were talking about the Cowboys having failed as miserably as the Chargers did. His job was to get the most out of the team that was put out there. They were in the bottom third of the league on offense while the Cowboys were #1 without him and #1 with him. That tells me HE was not the difference maker in Dallas and he is not likely to be the difference maker in Philly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is it out of the realm of possibility that Moore could have learned some lessons along the way and he gets his crap together in Eagle-land? Guys are SUPPOSED to learn and improve are they not? Moore could figure out all the stupid things he tried in Dallas and LA and correct them in Philly. I don't think it's bloody likely, but I do not dismiss the possibility. At least not completely.
More like it'll be a dumb coincidence that'll be the most talented team he's coached since say the 2019-2021 offensive people that we had here all that talent at wide receiver we had and zeke was still doing pretty well when Moore just took over and had at one time a healthy Gallup, Lamb, cooper, Ced wilson,& Brown with Zeke and Schultz.

so yeah, he could look like he learned a lesson because he's loaded with talent over there this cover up his mistakes until it really matters in crunch time and then he makes that mistake right at the end of the game...

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Come on… this is a bit much. And people need to start realizing the coaches don’t just bring systems with them. Any coach worth hiring has ideas of course, but any good coach also knows how to adapt things to the players he has. If you’re expecting a carbon copy of what was in Dallas, you will probably be disappointed.
I think most are hoping rather than expecting.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
In a weird way I think Kellen Moore could be a good addition for Philly. They have the receivers to run KMs heavy vertical route tree, and if that is successful it should open up running opportunities for Hurts. The big question is if Hurts has the arm talent to make those throws consistently down field. He's ok, but I'd argue that Hurts is probably the worst deep ball thrower KM will have had in the NFL. If he can't keep defenses honest they'll take away those underneath routes with ease. If he can make some of those tougher throws that KM will ask of him, and he does have talent at receiver to help him out Phillies offense will put up some big numbers. Granted this is true of basically every offense, I think it's more true of the KM offense that we all know because KM hasnt shown in Dallas or LA that he can consistently work in a deeper route tree.

The other thing to watch out for with KM is how he will use Phillies OL. He obviously has a history of not sticking with the run game, but some of the run plays he had while in Dallas were things of beauty. Especially the last two years he was here there were some absolutely beautiful play designs. He has a good enough OL there to run a lot of double pulls which when they did them in Dallas worked to perfection a lot of the time. He has a mobile QB to add to that toolbox too.

We will see how it plays out. I've always said that KM is a better play design guy than a true OC, but maybe that comes with time, IDK. He simply had no feel for how to call games, or set up complimentary plays as the game went on.

mcmvp

Reaction score
In a weird way I think Kellen Moore could be a good addition for Philly. They have the receivers to run KMs heavy vertical route tree, and if that is successful it should open up running opportunities for Hurts. The big question is if Hurts has the arm talent to make those throws consistently down field. He's ok, but I'd argue that Hurts is probably the worst deep ball thrower KM will have had in the NFL. If he can't keep defenses honest they'll take away those underneath routes with ease. If he can make some of those tougher throws that KM will ask of him, and he does have talent at receiver to help him out Phillies offense will put up some big numbers. Granted this is true of basically every offense, I think it's more true of the KM offense that we all know because KM hasnt shown in Dallas or LA that he can consistently work in a deeper route tree.

The other thing to watch out for with KM is how he will use Phillies OL. He obviously has a history of not sticking with the run game, but some of the run plays he had while in Dallas were things of beauty. Especially the last two years he was here there were some absolutely beautiful play designs. He has a good enough OL there to run a lot of double pulls which when they did them in Dallas worked to perfection a lot of the time. He has a mobile QB to add to that toolbox too.

We will see how it plays out. I've always said that KM is a better play design guy than a true OC, but maybe that comes with time, IDK. He simply had no feel for how to call games, or set up complimentary plays as the game went on.
Hurts’ deep ball is probably one of the better parts of his game. Where he needs to improve is passes in the middle of the field. Some of that may have been play-calling last year… Or some of that may have been their fear of his ability in that area. Reports from OTAs is that they are forcing him to go to that area more. We will see this year if he improves there or not.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hurts’ deep ball is probably one of the better parts of his game. Where he needs to improve is passes in the middle of the field. Some of that may have been play-calling last year… Or some of that may have been their fear of his ability in that area. Reports from OTAs is that they are forcing him to go to that area more. We will see this year if he improves there or not.
If Moore feels that his QB is struggling with his reads, his solution is the triple curl.

We got that a lot and Dak is a fairly developed QB. It was in at SDC. Doubly so against good defenses.

Have fun.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Remember how innovative in the run Philly has been the past half dozen years or so?

Compare to the stretch/middle iso game of KM.

Changing the whole playbook? :laugh: :lmao::lmao2:

mcmvp

Reaction score
If Moore feels that his QB is struggling with his reads, his solution is the triple curl.

We got that a lot and Dak is a fairly developed QB. It was in at SDC. Doubly so against good defenses.

Have fun.
I seem to remember those same curl routes with Jason Garrett as well. It seems to be the fall-back plan for Dak.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I seem to remember those same curl routes with Jason Garrett as well. It seems to be the fall-back plan for Dak.
KM learned from the master. KM is a Garrett protege.

The curls are their response to "make things easier" for the QB. I am sure you think your QB won't struggle at times with his esteemed OC but we will see.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Truth.

JustChip

Reaction score
Perhaps the Cowboys don't need to improve their run defense after all. As soon as Barkley starts running well, Moore will shut him down and go exclusively with Hurts passing the ball.
Or Barkley will get injured.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

EXCUSES. EXCUSES. EXCUSES.

JustChip

Reaction score

The curls are their response to "make things easier" for the QB. I am sure you think your QB won't struggle at times with his esteemed OC but we will see.
KM was more a Linehan protege. I guess you could say both Linehan and Garrett because they were all intertwined, but KM was in Detroit when Linehan was OC and Linehan was instrumental in bringing KM to Dallas as QB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
KM was more a Linehan protege. I guess you could say both Linehan and Garrett because they were all intertwined, but KM was in Detroit when Linehan was OC and Linehan was instrumental in bringing KM to Dallas as QB.
They were both there when KM showed up. KM stayed with his mentor when Linehan left and learned OC under Garrett.

mcmvp

Reaction score

All QBs struggle at times… but I’ve never seen so many comeback routes or curls than with the Cowboys…across coaches with Dak. If we continue to see it this year with the Eagles, then we can certainly call it a coaching flaw that migrated to them. I guess we’ll see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Cannot really disagree with that but KM still cannot design a run game is what I get most out of that.