Key rebuilding question: What is our identity?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Though picking Lamb kept the Eagles from getting him which would have made stopping them even harder!
Plus had we not taken Lamb, we would have ended up with Chaisson with his 5 tackles and 1 sack on the year. You take the best player that you can get on the field and move on. The cowboys dedicated the next two draft picks to defense. One more rookie on that side of the ball wasnt going to make or break this team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
this speaks of a team with no GM....no GM means no accountablity, this leads to way to many cooks in the kitchen and no plan...to be honest im suprised our roster is as good as it is. A real GM could take this team and add some good players to it and be very competitive, we can only hope that is the idea with MM, I'm willing to give him a pass this year for obvious reason and see what he does the rest of this season and the offseason to mold this into what he has in mind.

Ill definitely give a coach a 2nd year considering.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My question to my fellow fans is this- what is this team’s identity?

The identity of the last 8 years has been to build a young talented core through the draft and they did that. The reflection of that this year was to bring in a HC with a Super Bowl ring but the pandemic wiped out their preseason and a big chunk of their learning time.

The 2020 identity is three Pro Bowl players on IR, two more in Frederick and McCoy that were gone before the season started and and three other starters sitting on the IR.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We’re so bad at EVERY FACET OF FOOTBALL that if we were a movie villain, we’d be Darth Vader, Voldemort, and The Joker combined. Bad football team run by bad people. THAT’S our identity.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The identity of the last 8 years has been to build a young talented core through the draft and they did that. The reflection of that this year was to bring in a HC with a Super Bowl ring but the pandemic wiped out their preseason and a big chunk of their learning time.

The 2020 identity is three Pro Bowl players on IR, two more in Frederick and McCoy that were gone before the season started and and three other starters sitting on the IR.
Those are facts for sure. But I would argue that isn’t an identity. Scheme, type of offense and defense, profile of the “type” of player we are drafting are more about identity IMO. It doesn’t appear to me we have a clear ID of this team now.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Those are facts for sure. But I would argue that isn’t an identity. Scheme, type of offense and defense, profile of the “type” of player we are drafting are more about identity IMO. It doesn’t appear to me we have a clear ID of this team now.

Its a hospital show like "House" or "MASH". Dak is the heroic Doctor who is the central character but currently quarantined. Zeke is the wacky irresponsible resident. LVE is the House character that shows up at the last minute to make things better. Jerry is the boozed up administrator that people pay lip service to and then ignore. McCarthy is the head of billing that is currently yelling at everyone that the place is going bankrupt.

Tune in next week!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think no matter what identity you want to have.....you HAVE to have a franchise QB who can sling that bean....those are hard to come by and thus, the "tank for Trevor" crowd know this is the opportunity to grab one QB and then build the rest of the team with the remaining draft picks and FA . But i agree with you that the failure of this organization in bringing in players to fit a "system" has been immense. The FO has been an utter failure, no surprise there. The coaching staff did not prepare these players well or even train them to run a particular system so they all go out and freelance. Trying to do too much instead of just their job. But i agree with your point, you have to have a system or an identity to know what kind of players you want to bring in. And then work together as a team.

ICP

Reaction score
I honestly don't know if these teams had an identity since Jimmy left. Maybe during the Parcells years, definitely not during Garrets 10 wasted years of inconsistency.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I will say it. Cee Dee Lamb was the wrong pick when your defense could not stop the Eagles offensive roster made of 2nd, 3rd team, and practice squad players.

That draft pick was classic Jerry Dumbo GM Jones decision making.
All i hear on here is BPA. He did what the fans wanted. Not me but other fans lol. I didnt want lamb. Not that he wont be a great wr

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
IMO, the team identity should involve Dak as the focal point on offense and a prolific passing attack. I'd add maybe 60/40 pass-to-run ratio.
On defense, IMO, a 4-3 defense (with a STOUT NT!), with creative looks mixed in suits best. 4-3 fits marque guys like Lawrence and LVE best.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
IMO, the team identity should involve Dak as the focal point on offense and a prolific passing attack. I'd add maybe 60/40 pass-to-run ratio.
On defense, IMO, a 4-3 defense (with a STOUT NT!), with creative looks mixed in suits best. 4-3 fits marque guys like Lawrence and LVE best.

yes with what we have on offense that is what we should do, on defense if you get a real Hog at DT Lawerence would actually be a good 3-4 DE and LVE is a perfect stronside MLB....hell moving Jaylon to weakside speed rush LB is also ok..we need 2 good safties and anothe DE Gregory and SMith would be good strongside OLB rushers, so we could have a multiple front defense with some drafting..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We're a team built to run the ball that avoids running the ball.
Probably because when they do run it, old $90,000,000 butter fingers fumbles it. That's a pretty good gig Ewok has himself. :rolleyes:

817Gill

Reaction score
@Bobhaze @Future McCarthy said it himself, I’ll try to find a quote but he basically wants a team that is an aggressive pass first attack with a defense that can play with a lead and pin their ears back and rush the QB and create turnovers.

There have been a few SB winning teams like this, one being McCarthy’s in 2011. I personally think that with better ball security, we have the offense on paper right now to execute Mike’s offensive vision. And while we have some quality pass rushers, we need to add to multiple parts of the defense to really be able to count on consistent pressure and turnovers.

This is what I’d like to see us do:

1. Go 4-12/5-11 and secure a top 4-6 pick.

2. Trade back with one of the QB or Penei needy teams and get an additional 2 rounder at least.

3. Draft Surtain or Farley.

4. Take a S and DT with 2nd round picks. If someone like Shaun Wade falls due to fit concerns double down on CB.

5. With the two 3rd round picks (1 conditional), take another CB if you haven’t taken two already plus a LB or OT depending on what’s there.

If we do this I think we have a real good shot at making a quick turnaround in 2021.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
@Bobhaze @Future McCarthy said it himself, I’ll try to find a quote but he basically wants a team that is an aggressive pass first attack with a defense that can play with a lead and pin their ears back and rush the QB and create turnovers.

There have been a few SB winning teams like this, one being McCarthy’s in 2011. I personally think that with better ball security, we have the offense on paper right now to execute Mike’s offensive vision. And while we have some quality pass rushers, we need to add to multiple parts of the defense to really be able to count on consistent pressure and turnovers.
Yea, he said it a bunch of times. It's also what he means when he says "complimentary football."

reddyuta

Reaction score
Dak is our identity.He is the unquestionable team leader.if we can just surround him him a good oline with better backups and a average Defense then we will be playoff bound every year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As I watched the Steelers when we played them 8 days ago, I was taken by how clearly they know what they want to be as a team and an organization. They have one of the clearest identities in pro sports. They have run the 3-4 defense for multiple decades. They have had 3 head coaches in 51 years.

Their GM Kevin Colbert is starting his 21st season with the team and just received a contract extension. The Rooney family have consistently been committed to hiring good people to run their organization, while setting clear goals, then letting their people do their jobs. They are perhaps the most stable professional sports organization out there, and have 6 rings to show for it.

I’m not here to praise the Steelers. I’m actually just wondering these key questions regarding our Dallas Cowboys and how this team can effectively get better and build a winner again:
  • What kind of team are we trying to be? (A 4-3 speed/finesse type D, with a power running game? Or a pass oriented offense built around the QB?- just two examples)
  • What kind of players do we need to add that fits that vision of what we want to become as a team?
I’m of the opinion that the biggest problem this team has in putting a championship roster together (besides having Jerry Jones running it) is this:
  • The leaders of this organization don’t know what they’re trying to build. They don’t seem to have a clear vision of the team’s identity.
  • The Jones FO builds their roster like a fantasy football team- just add talent regardless of whether or not that talent fits your identity.
For everyone screaming for the “tank”- sure having a top 5 pick position in the draft is great. But if you don’t know what your identity is as a team, how can you select the right talent?

My question to my fellow fans is this- what is this team’s identity?

I believe identity has changed from run first, time of possession team do more of a quick striking passing attack. They want a great pass rush to factor in late in games.