Key rebuilding question: What is our identity?

quickccc

Reaction score
He's given himself the titles of President and General Manager-for-life. He has final say on every decision and he'll happily tell you that. He also has made his son VP and Director of Player Personnel-for-life.

He couldn't possibly be any more responsible.

Is it GM in " Title " name only .. or has the bigger responsibilities been levied over to son Stephen nowadays ..(as many believe)

if such was not the case,, wouldn't QB Johnny Manziel be a 1st round pick Cowboys player by now … ?
:huh:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He's given himself the titles of President and General Manager-for-life. He has final say on every decision and he'll happily tell you that. He also has made his son VP and Director of Player Personnel-for-life.

He couldn't possibly be any more responsible.
If you think he's sitting on his throne not listening to anyone you're crazy. If that were the case we would've drafted Manziel years ago. He has the ability to override decisions but I don't think every single decision runs through him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think he's sitting on his throne not listening to anyone you're crazy. If that were the case we would've drafted Manziel years ago. He has the ability to override decisions but I don't think every single decision runs through him.
So....let me get this straight....you’re saying Jerry as owner/President/GM isn’t responsible for where we are as an organization?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So....let me get this straight....you’re saying Jerry as owner/President/GM isn’t responsible for where we are as an organization?

He is 2 words .....carrott top....word is everyone else in the FO saw this years ago and the old man wouldn't pull the trigger.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is what I’d like to see us do:

1. Go 4-12/5-11 and secure a top 4-6 pick.

2. Trade back with one of the QB or Penei needy teams and get an additional 2 rounder at least.

3. Draft Surtain or Farley.

4. Take a S and DT with 2nd round picks. If someone like Shaun Wade falls due to fit concerns double down on CB.

5. With the two 3rd round picks (1 conditional), take another CB if you haven’t taken two already plus a LB or OT depending on what’s there.

Totally agree. I want T shirts printed with this on the front and back.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As I watched the Steelers when we played them 8 days ago, I was taken by how clearly they know what they want to be as a team and an organization. They have one of the clearest identities in pro sports. They have run the 3-4 defense for multiple decades. They have had 3 head coaches in 51 years.

Their GM Kevin Colbert is starting his 21st season with the team and just received a contract extension. The Rooney family have consistently been committed to hiring good people to run their organization, while setting clear goals, then letting their people do their jobs. They are perhaps the most stable professional sports organization out there, and have 6 rings to show for it.

I’m not here to praise the Steelers. I’m actually just wondering these key questions regarding our Dallas Cowboys and how this team can effectively get better and build a winner again:
  • What kind of team are we trying to be? (A 4-3 speed/finesse type D, with a power running game? Or a pass oriented offense built around the QB?- just two examples)
  • What kind of players do we need to add that fits that vision of what we want to become as a team?
I’m of the opinion that the biggest problem this team has in putting a championship roster together (besides having Jerry Jones running it) is this:
  • The leaders of this organization don’t know what they’re trying to build. They don’t seem to have a clear vision of the team’s identity.
  • The Jones FO builds their roster like a fantasy football team- just add talent regardless of whether or not that talent fits your identity.
For everyone screaming for the “tank”- sure having a top 5 pick position in the draft is great. But if you don’t know what your identity is as a team, how can you select the right talent?

My question to my fellow fans is this- what is this team’s identity?
dont think one person that reads this is qualified to answer..

just saying...

might want to ask MM and the Jonses they could answer more accurately..that an off season decsions that they will make and add the players needed to accomplish it..
no fan has control of this and whatever added IN this thread is just fantasy land..

but play on in this virtual sandbox kids..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
As I watched the Steelers when we played them 8 days ago, I was taken by how clearly they know what they want to be as a team and an organization. They have one of the clearest identities in pro sports. They have run the 3-4 defense for multiple decades. They have had 3 head coaches in 51 years.

Their GM Kevin Colbert is starting his 21st season with the team and just received a contract extension. The Rooney family have consistently been committed to hiring good people to run their organization, while setting clear goals, then letting their people do their jobs. They are perhaps the most stable professional sports organization out there, and have 6 rings to show for it.

I’m not here to praise the Steelers. I’m actually just wondering these key questions regarding our Dallas Cowboys and how this team can effectively get better and build a winner again:
  • What kind of team are we trying to be? (A 4-3 speed/finesse type D, with a power running game? Or a pass oriented offense built around the QB?- just two examples)
  • What kind of players do we need to add that fits that vision of what we want to become as a team?
I’m of the opinion that the biggest problem this team has in putting a championship roster together (besides having Jerry Jones running it) is this:
  • The leaders of this organization don’t know what they’re trying to build. They don’t seem to have a clear vision of the team’s identity.
  • The Jones FO builds their roster like a fantasy football team- just add talent regardless of whether or not that talent fits your identity.
For everyone screaming for the “tank”- sure having a top 5 pick position in the draft is great. But if you don’t know what your identity is as a team, how can you select the right talent?

Your identity is defined by how you draft, the players that you draft define the team.
We have drafted fairly well, but if you want to discover what separates teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Packers etc.. compare their drafts.
Talent builds a franchise,, then you can yank the Lombardi out of Jimmy Johnsons hands at the podium and Hire Barry to win another.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Without question is Dak and Zeke.

That hasn't changed.

Until both are playing together and healthy again..we have no identity.

I realize many are down on Zeke.

He had has his 1st bad year in 5.

Hurt hammies make you look old and slow. It also keeps you from running with authority. Remember how Zeke would just run over or jump over you?

His wheels are bad.

Let him slim down before next year. His gaining weight the last 2 years is not his signature style.

We have to go ahead and sign Dak on the Tag and do not wait to the deadline again.

We are not going to get a #1 or #2 pick overall. Draft defense and trade back and pickup more picks. We need players at half a dozen spots and with all the comp picks we have coming..

should be easy.

:grin:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our identity is all offensively. Without it , we have no identity.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The identity of this franchise is all about marketing and promotion and making sure it's still the ratings and revenue champ. As long as that identity rules, no other is necessary because nothing different is demanded.

The franchise is more splash than substance and while splash favors the franchise, the lack of substance hinders the team.

As long as the owner gets the message that success is neither expected or the lack of punished, nothing changes and no identity is necessary.

You ask what is the identity? The owner answers back "profits and value".
Oh, that identity. I thought Bob was referring to the football team.

Yea, our identity beyond on the field will always be what’s best for our Football Idiot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whenever things open up in society again, Cowboys fans will once again have the opportunity to send a message to Jerral Wayne. I have no confidence that will happen. But the opportunity will be there.

We know our owner is a football fool. He is a business genius but a football fool. But what makes him twice as bad is he is the worst kind of fool- a rich one. He can continue his foolishness as long as he is surrounded by fawning sycophants and our fan base continues to drink his kool aid.
So much of our fans base don’t drink his koolaide anymore but we still watch the games, follow and support the team. It is what it is.

We’re like staying in a bad marriage cause we still want our kids to do well and he’s a good provider. For better or worse until death.

There’s always a glimmer of hope each year until there’s not. Then we pick ourselves up after each disappointment season , dust off and go at it again. Like Groundhog Day which Coach excellently analog a few days ago.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
Totally agree. I want T shirts printed with this on the front and back.
This has got to be the motto for our fanbase the rest of the year lol. The best part about this is that it’s sooo possible.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Our identity is all offensively. Without it , we have no identity.

Yeah, curse Gallup and Lamb and Jarwin and the six Pro Bowlers playing next to them. Without that 82% of the offense they have nothing. NOTHING!

Kaiser

Reaction score
This has got to be the motto for our fanbase the rest of the year lol. The best part about this is that it’s sooo possible.

Its totally time for tats that say TDFT - Trade Down From Three.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Tweet from Dane Brugler, so the expected smoke screen would be that Dallas loves Penei or they wouldn't mind taking one of the CBs at three.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

A team whose football vision comes from the coaches, not the GM. Biggest downside to Jerry.

Since Garrett, we've been led by offensive HCs and flipped defensive philosophy with each DC. It's brutal on defensive development.

817Gill

Reaction score
Tweet from Dane Brugler, so the expected smoke screen would be that Dallas loves Penei or they wouldn't mind taking one of the CBs at three.

Exactly. It’s also November still lol there could be multiple late college season darlings and combine risers. We also could very well be drafting at 5-6 overall, which may sound like it takes us out of the trade down sweepstakes but it enhances that in my book.

It’s a lot easier for a team to stomach trading up from 9 to 6 to take a Zach Wilson/Trey Lance/Kyle Trask than from 9 to 3. The beauty of it is any trade up into the top 10 should net us an additional two.

CoachD

Reaction score
You want an identity for a football team well here I'll give you one, be good in all three phases of the game and most teams aren't! Identity give me a break.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
dont think one person that reads this is qualified to answer..

just saying...

might want to ask MM and the Jonses they could answer more accurately..that an off season decsions that they will make and add the players needed to accomplish it..
no fan has control of this and whatever added IN this thread is just fantasy land..

but play on in this virtual sandbox kids..

I dont hence my low post count.