Keys to Beating Tampa

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
  • you are absolutely right about pressure on brady, specially pressure up the middle. he is master of stepping into the pocket and buying an extra second, but if you can pressure up the middle he tends to lose his composure, get visibily frustrated and have an off day....If we can pressure him. I would dare to say hit him even if its a penalty, but to let him know we are there and we will get to him, then we have a chance of slowing him down.
  • you are right about running the ball, not because we can't pass, but because it will shorten the game, and limit their number of possessions. that's key and I think we need to have pollard in early with runs to the outside, forcing their DL to run a little and slow down their pass rush.

• I am not so sure for Wright on Evans, as he is a rookie and he may make one or two stops, but then he will give up the big play to one of the best WRs in the league....I am not sure if we have an answer to their WRs, outside of going with 5 DBs....Neal is key, as he was a saftey turned LB and so his coverage skills are key
  • we should go deep, middle and short, use the whole field, but back to your second point, key is to run and run effectively. control the clock, we have to win TOP to have a chance
  • we need to avoid fumbles, deep interceptions on 3rd downs are like a punt anyway, but it means we are attacking down field and I am not so hard on those. we have to get at least 2 turnovers to give our offense an extra possession.
  • yes, field position, which means special teams.....
further, we have to minimize our 3 and outs....control the clock, win field position battle.

The reason I say what I said about Wright on Evans is because of how they measure up. Like I said, I'd have safety help for Wright, but Wright is 6'4 and has good speed. He also looked physical in the preseason (which is consistent with what I saw from him in college when I was posting why I was so excited when we drafted him). Mike Evans is 6'5. The only other DB we have that can match physically with Evans is Mukuamu. So, with the measurables, I think Wright makes the most sense. Rookie, yes, but I will still say that I think Wright is the correct player to have against Evans. I'd have Neal helping Wright for the reason you stated as for why he was brought in. I think Neal helping Wright will help shut down Evans. We need all 3 phases to play at the top of their games.

visionary

Reaction score
in essence you are sayign our team sucks and we should expect a 4-13 season...got it

You’re a great fan
The Cowboys owe their 2 post season wins in 25 years directly to your refusal to face facts
If only you were even more of a blind homer we might have won 3 post season games

on second thought your lack of ‘enough’ positivity is the cause of our problems

:omg:

DanA

Reaction score
The reason I say what I said about Wright on Evans is because of how they measure up. Like I said, I'd have safety help for Wright, but Wright is 6'4 and has good speed. He also looked physical in the preseason (which is consistent with what I saw from him in college when I was posting why I was so excited when we drafted him). Mike Evans is 6'5. The only other DB we have that can match physically with Evans is Mukuamu. So, with the measurables, I think Wright makes the most sense. Rookie, yes, but I will still say that I think Wright is the correct player to have against Evans. I'd have Neal helping Wright for the reason you stated as for why he was brought in. I think Neal helping Wright will help shut down Evans. We need all 3 phases to play at the top of their games.

How do you make that happen? Are you making the rookie travel. What do you do when Evans starts playing in slot? Is Wright capable?

Its nice to say “Wright on Evans” but how do you make that happen and think of the ramifications…he simply can’t dictate the match up because that requires travelling and being able to play in slot.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How do you make that happen? Are you making the rookie travel. What do you do when Evans starts playing in slot? Is Wright capable?

Its nice to say “Wright on Evans” but how do you make that happen and think of the ramifications…he simply can’t dictate the match up because that requires travelling and being able to play in slot.

Good point. THat'd make things difficult. I mean, I would still trust Wright than I do Brown.

starfan1

Reaction score
Pressure Brady: can’t do because our DL is barely average

Run the ball: can’t do because our OL is injured

Convert 3rd down and red zone efficiency: can’t do because of average QB with average C and LOG

get turnovers: can’t do because of average DL and safety play
Guess you shouldn’t watch them because it’s a forgone conclusion

DanA

Reaction score
Keys for me:
  1. No blown coverages
Brady will find wide open receivers if they are there and Tampa will run a heap of pick plays so our corners need to keep on top of their assignments and pay attention.

2. Contain the run game​

Last year we couldn’t do it and teams ran over the top of us. We need to put Brady in positions where he has to hold the ball longer and that starts with 1st down stops against the run.

3. Clock control​

We can’t allow Brady two minute drills to finish the half / win the game. His receivers and TE’s are too good and Brady is going to make good decisions and manage the clock ensuring that we don’t get another look.

4. Win the turnover battle​

The offense might have put up huge stats early last year but it also put up big turnover numbers. Tampa/Brady will punish that, their offense is simply too good to be gifting them extra possessions in good field position. Zeke needs to hold onto the ball, and Dak needs both good protection and to make smart decisions. On defense we need Parsons/Neale to build on pre-season performances and strip that ball.

DanA

Reaction score
Good point. THat'd make things difficult. I mean, I would still trust Wright than I do Brown.

I think I prefer Brown for this one. We know Brady likes quick releases, and Tampa will play the Patriot patented pick plays (say that quickly). I think Brown’s experience in slot comes in handy here, he’s really good in traffic and does a fantastic job undercutting routes. On the flip side Evans is a handful and will man handle Brown.

That’s the trade off, Wright getting matched up on Godwin/AB and put in a spin cycle with double moves and picks, or Brown being monsters by Evans and eaten alive on jump balls. I’ll take the Evans matchup because it means Brady doesn’t get as many quick releases but I see where you are coming from. Evans is the biggest threat and with Wright on the field, Evans probably goes to Diggs which is a nice matchup for us.

I also think one of Wrights biggest strengths (jamming on the LOS) is tough to do on Evans, AB and Godwin. All are vets with fantastic releases.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think I prefer Brown for this one. We know Brady likes quick releases, and Tampa will play the Patriot patented pick plays (say that quickly). I think Brown’s experience in slot comes in handy here, he’s really good in traffic and does a fantastic job undercutting routes. On the flip side Evans is a handful and will man handle Brown.

That’s the trade off, Wright getting matched up on Godwin/AB and put in a spin cycle with double moves and picks, or Brown being monsters by Evans and eaten alive on jump balls. I’ll take the Evans matchup because it means Brady doesn’t get as many quick releases but I see where you are coming from. Evans is the biggest threat and with Wright on the field he doesn’t have a small CB to exploit.

I also think one of Wrights biggest strengths (jamming on the LOS) is tough to do on Evans, AB and Godwin. All are vets with fantastic releases.

That could work, though Diggs would probably be on Godwin I think. My concern, as you've noticed is that I think Brown loses the battle when matched with Evans. I could see Brown handling AB actually. And Wright keeps Evans from picking on smaller WRs. THough, wouldn't jamming work well on Evans? Maybe I could be wrong, but I think one thing you'd want to do with Evans is jam him so that he's off balance and to get better position. If you're a tall CB, wouldn't you want to jockey into position to defend the ball more easily against Evans?

DanA

Reaction score
You’re a great fan
The Cowboys owe their 2 post season wins in 25 years directly to your refusal to face facts
If only you were even more of a blind homer we might have won 3 post season games

on second thought your lack of ‘enough’ positivity is the cause of our problems

:omg:

25 years of wasted time watching Cowboy games and cheering on his team could have been avoided if only he was a visionary.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Keys for me:
  1. No blown coverages
Brady will find wide open receivers if they are there and Tampa will run a heap of pick plays so our corners need to keep on top of their assignments and pay attention.

2. Contain the run game​

Last year we couldn’t do it and teams ran over the top of us. We need to put Brady in positions where he has to hold the ball longer and that starts with 1st down stops against the run.

3. Clock control​

We can’t allow Brady two minute drills to finish the half / win the game. His receivers and TE’s are too good and Brady is going to make good decisions and manage the clock ensuring that we don’t get another look.

4. Win the turnover battle​

The offense might have put up huge stats early last year but it also put up big turnover numbers. Tampa/Brady will punish that, their offense is simply too good to be gifting them extra possessions in good field position. Zeke needs to hold onto the ball, and Dak needs both good protection and to make smart decisions. On defense we need Parsons/Neale to build on pre-season performances and strip that ball.

On that note, they also gotta watch to be careful they don't get interfered with that. Those calls seldom get called on Brady's teams. I remember in 2015, we got called a bunch for OPI for picks that we ran on the Saints. We gotta be careful with that.

DanA

Reaction score
That could work, though Diggs would probably be on Godwin I think. My concern, as you've noticed is that I think Brown loses the battle when matched with Evans. I could see Brown handling AB actually. And Wright keeps Evans from picking on smaller WRs. THough, wouldn't jamming work well on Evans? Maybe I could be wrong, but I think one thing you'd want to do with Evans is jam him so that he's off balance and to get better position. If you're a tall CB, wouldn't you want to jockey into position to defend the ball more easily against Evans?

I agree with that. I just think Evans is really hard to do that on. As we get closer to the RedZone I do think stopping Evans becomes the priority and I would be in favor of Wright coming in for Brown.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Dungy-Tampa-2-1.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree with that. I just think Evans is really hard to do that on. As we get closer to the RedZone I do think stopping Evans becomes the priority and I would be in favor of Wright coming in for Brown.

I agree, and I'd shift Neal over for safety help for Wright. Like I said, I wouldn't have Wright there alone with Evans to start with. That'd be cruel to a rookie. He'd have safety help (probably with Neal) while he takes the underneath away from Evans. That way, he's free to look for the ball and knock it away when taking on Evans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
  • We have Parsons whos specialty is pass rush. Also, DLaw didn't play the preseason. Let's see what he does. Also, I don't remember seeing Gregory play in the preseason either.
  • We have Smith back. If we struggle with the run, then short passes WCO-style would be best. Get Zeke out in space and throw quick passes.
  • We have a great QB who's easily best in the division. Short passes should be fine for us. Brady made a living on short quick passes. We have the speed to do that.
  • Did you see the way Parsons attacks the ball?
Our best strength is pass rush, but you have to be smart about it or the GOAT will eat your lunch if you get predictable.
Our advantage is being able to bring a blitz out of several packages that have yet to be revealed,, remember having to calm down Parsons..
Man is going to be a wrecking crew, and this coaching staff had to calm the rook down... lol.. I like that.
TB really has nothing to game plan off because this has been one of the most vanilla preseasons this fan can remember, and its not because of lack of talent..
Not buying that argument that exists around here,, I see a very hungry and aggressive game plan on both sides of the ball, its the only way we upset the Champs and the GOAT in their house.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Our best strength is pass rush, but you have to be smart about it or the GOAT will eat your lunch if you get predictable.
Our advantage is being able to bring a blitz out of several packages that have yet to be revealed,, remember having to calm down Parsons..
Man is going to be a wrecking crew, and this coaching staff had to calm the rook down... lol.. I like that.
TB really has nothing to game plan off because this has been one of the most vanilla preseasons this fan can remember, and its not because of lack of talent..
Not buying that argument that exists around here,, I see a very hungry and aggressive game plan on both sides of the ball, its the only way we upset the Champs and the GOAT in their house.

WE're going to have to try it at least. I'd say disguising packages would be good, but then Brady's seen all sorts of disguises. Maybe we could get Kamara involved as well.

Shane612

Reaction score
Keep Brady off the field.
But I'm afraid he'll dink and dunk the cowboys to death for three quarters, and hit them with a dagger in the fourth to put the cowboys away.
When Brady dinks and dunk, it's a weapon. For everyone else, it's an act of desperation.
:laugh:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Keep Brady off the field.
But I'm afraid he'll dink and dunk the cowboys to death for three quarters, and hit them with a dagger in the fourth to put the cowboys away.
When Brady dinks and dunk, it's a weapon. For everyone else, it's an act of desperation.
:laugh:

Let's not forget we were two BS tripping calls away from beating Brady in horrendous weather on the road the last time we played him.