Keys to Beating Tampa

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Here are key things that the Cowboys can do to beat Tampa on Opening Night. Yes, I said BEAT Tampa. This game isn't a lost cause before it's played. These are two NFL teams playing each other, so each can win. Here's the key things to do when playing Tompa Bay.

• Pressure and hit Brady as much as possible. Brady struggles when he's getting hit a lot. This is how the Bears beat him last year.
  • Run the ball a lot. Oline's strengths should be run blocking. The Bucs are going to try to blitz a lot. A good way to slow them down is to run it down their throat. When they play run heavy team like the Bears, their defence struggles. Additionally, we will need this to control the clock. Do not give Brady a lot of time on the ball.
  • Put Wright on Evans. He's similarly sized and has similar physical traits. Yes, he's a 3rd rookie, but he's the best equipped to handle Evans while Diggs takes Godwin. Joseph's not ready to play, nor should he. Brown is what we know him to be and does not match up well on Evans. Wright does. He might get beat early, but he's a rookie. Let him get experience against a WR he actually can match up with. I'd also put a little safety help from Kazee on Evans early to help out Wright until he appears comfortable.
  • Lewis should take the slot WR. He's best equipped there.
  • Quick passes. We don't need deep shots this game, at least early on. We need to get the ball out quickly and let the WRs and Zeke use their feet.
  • Most importantly - NO TURNOVERS! We need to not fumble and not throw INTs.
  • Oh, and field position will be useful.
If we can do that, I think we will win.
You the Man furball.

DanA

Reaction score
Horrible strategy.

I would have Diggs trail Evans.

We think this guy is our CB1, let him go for it.

That means Jourdan Lewis and Anthony Brown also have to travel while covering AB and Godwin.....no thanks, I'd rather just give whoever's covering Evans a tiny bit more help.

DanA

Reaction score
The keys to beating Tampa for me are:

Offensively:
1. Screen passes

• You can't run up the middle on Suh and Vea expecting success, but you can make them make them hustle and tire them out. Conditioning the one thing we've got against this defensive interior. If we can get them dead on their feet, the run game might start to open up later in the game.
  • We need to set this up with the hurry up offense on a long time and then not let Vea/Suh rest.
  • The Buccs blitz a lot (4th most in the league), you want to exploit that and make them think twice about sending guys like Devon White (9 sacks last year)
  • The new blocking rules help a mobile O-line and its going to be a weapon. Our O-line is pretty mobile, and typically been good blocking down field
  • Zeke is lighter and has clearly been working on his receiving game, he's always been exceptional at working with O-line blockers down field so we've got the tools.
2. Exploit their weak secondary
  • This is easily our best matchup and a place we have an absolute advantage against Tamp, our receivers are simply better than their corners
  • If we get the ball out quickly it negates the impact (somewhat) of their D-line's ability to create pressure
  • A quick releases helps against a defense that so often sends 5 guys, Zeke on blitz pickup is critical in these situations but can only buy so much time.
  • We're the underdogs so there likely going to be a few key moments where our receivers will need to come up big and make low percentage catches. The talent is there, McCarthy/Moore typically are willing to take chances, but we'll need a bit of luck to come our way.
3. No turnovers
  • Zeke can't fumble like his did early last year, it has been a problem and we are all waiting/hoping to see that it's been fixed
  • Dak needs to be more willing to throw the ball away than he has historically, he's good on using his feet and it's a weapon, but that ankle injury, while freak, doesn't happen to Brady because he doesn't take that risk.
  • If we give the Buccs offense opportunities with short field, they'll almost certainly capitalize, they're too good to allow this.

Defensively:
1. Pressure with Gregory in a wide nine and Micah from everywhere

• Wirfs at RT is a beast and Lawrence is underdone so I'm not looking for much there and our DT's aren't the answer.
  • Johnson at LT is good (not great) but what gives us hope is that he's big and slow, that's something Gregory from a wide nine position can exploit
  • The Buccs interior is just okay and there RB's are simply bad blockers. While I don't expect too much from our DT's. Our DE's on stunts could have some joy.
  • Micah on a blitz looks dangerous against anybody and we need to disrupt Brady.
2. Stop Evans on the Go Route
  • Evans scored 14 TD's last year, 13 on go routes, no other player had more than 7 TD's in the regular season.
  • Tampa typically isolate Evans, and then have him win 50-50 jump balls with Brady fantastic at putting this where only Evans can get it
  • Wright should sub in for Brown in the RedZone because he's better in the air and on a compressed field that will help a lot against Evans.
3. Stop the run and tackle well
  • This isn't because Tampa Bay are good at it. This is a Cowboys 2020 problem that we must have rectified if we are going to be at all successful this season.
  • The performance of Odigi, Bohana, Watkins, and Urban inside will define how successful we are as a team. They don't have to be great but they have to hold their ground and while not everyone can pass like Tampa, every team in the NFL can run the ball if we can't stop Tampa running game, we're in for a long season.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here are key things that the Cowboys can do to beat Tampa on Opening Night. Yes, I said BEAT Tampa. This game isn't a lost cause before it's played. These are two NFL teams playing each other, so each can win. Here's the key things to do when playing Tompa Bay.

• Pressure and hit Brady as much as possible. Brady struggles when he's getting hit a lot. This is how the Bears beat him last year.
  • Run the ball a lot. Oline's strengths should be run blocking. The Bucs are going to try to blitz a lot. A good way to slow them down is to run it down their throat. When they play run heavy team like the Bears, their defence struggles. Additionally, we will need this to control the clock. Do not give Brady a lot of time on the ball.
  • Put Wright on Evans. He's similarly sized and has similar physical traits. Yes, he's a 3rd rookie, but he's the best equipped to handle Evans while Diggs takes Godwin. Joseph's not ready to play, nor should he. Brown is what we know him to be and does not match up well on Evans. Wright does. He might get beat early, but he's a rookie. Let him get experience against a WR he actually can match up with. I'd also put a little safety help from Kazee on Evans early to help out Wright until he appears comfortable.
  • Lewis should take the slot WR. He's best equipped there.
  • Quick passes. We don't need deep shots this game, at least early on. We need to get the ball out quickly and let the WRs and Zeke use their feet.
  • Most importantly - NO TURNOVERS! We need to not fumble and not throw INTs.
  • Oh, and field position will be useful.
If we can do that, I think we will win.
100% agree, brother! :thumbup:

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think you’d have to send some sick kids from elementary school asking for autographs

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going to win this game. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I've been following them for too long to expect anything else.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going to win this game. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I've been following them for too long to expect anything else.

I certainly hope for us to win as well. Considering I'm moving a few days later, if we're getting the crap beat out of us, I may just resume the last bit of packing I'd have at that point for my move.

ICP

Reaction score
It's simple, hope Tampa players get injured and play a next to or perfect game and we should win by at least 3 :thumbup:

Seth5545

Reaction score

If anything this is the exact type of game they would win. Shock people, make them think they're different this year. Then play like trash for the rest of the season.

GMO415

Reaction score
TB has been playing their starters in preseason while Dallas really hasn't. Hence, Dallas will be behind behind fast and early.

Aven8

Reaction score
What people are forgetting is Quinn knows Tampa. He’s played them twice a year for since 2019. That hopefully helps a lot.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maintaining constant pressure on Tom Brady has proven the best way to keep him under control. As for the Cowboys offense, quick passes to restrict their pass rush from harassing Dak should be helpful, as well. Having sufficient success going short should cause their defensive backfield to cheat up enough for some longer passes to connect.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
better bring the pickle juice to a hot humid outdoor FL weather game.

Maybe that bay breeze should help make the hot, humid air more bearable.

Playing at night should help, also, with a good chance of rain at game time.

They have a soft, Bermuda sod field. Hopefully, it won't get horribly soggy!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe that bay breeze should help make the hot, humid air more bearable.

Playing at night should help, also, with a good chance of rain at game time.

They have a soft, Bermuda sod field. Hopefully, it won't get horribly soggy!
that all we need is a bunch of blown hammys or game like that NE game in 2019..ugly BTW that would fall right into TB strength, they are nearly impossible to run against and windy wet conditions are hard to throw in..ughh