Kickoffs tweaked further

irishline

Reaction score
They should just go back to the old rules and have all the players wear those big inflatable Sumo wrestler suits.

bubble_soccer_ball_1_1_2.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It seems like they're trying to save the kickoff somehow instead of eliminating it altogether. Not sure it will work. There is a lot of potential strategy to the kickoff, not the least of which is the onsides kick. Especially the surprise variety you see sometimes early in games. The kickoff needs to stay.

Thanks for the facts.

1) and 3) are countervailing changes. One makes it harder for coverage, one makes it harder for the return. I'm not sure which side gets the better end of that deal.

2) is fine. Just cuts down on returns, but doesn't change the returns that do happen.

What I definitely don't like is that 1) makes onside kicks harder. Could actually be significantly harder. I wonder if they actually *tested* that out at all.

Definitely think they need to keep kickoffs. Otherwise, it starts to seem like a scrimmage. "Ok, it's your turn now, here's the ball on the 25."

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just make kickoffs from the 50 yard line. Each kick will result in a touchback. No one gets hurt.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Just quit screwing with the game.

That’s my feeling as well. Just pick a year between 1970 and 1999, adopt the rule book from that year, make it mandatory for every player to sign a waiver in order to play in the league, and tell the left wing loonies trying to kill the game to pound sand. Problem solved. Make the NFL great again. Sounds like a movement ready to happen.

links18

Reaction score
That’s my feeling as well. Just pick a year between 1970 and 1999, adopt the rule book from that year, make it mandatory for every player to sign a waiver in order to play in the league, and tell the left wing loonies trying to kill the game to pound sand. Problem solved. Make the NFL great again. Sounds like a movement ready to happen.

This left-wing loonie cosigns. :cool:

conner01

Reaction score
Thanks for the facts.

1) and 3) are countervailing changes. One makes it harder for coverage, one makes it harder for the return. I'm not sure which side gets the better end of that deal.

2) is fine. Just cuts down on returns, but doesn't change the returns that do happen.

What I definitely don't like is that 1) makes onside kicks harder. Could actually be significantly harder. I wonder if they actually *tested* that out at all.

Definitely think they need to keep kickoffs. Otherwise, it starts to seem like a scrimmage. "Ok, it's your turn now, here's the ball on the 25."
I don’t think it makes on side kicks harder
Just different
I think you will see more attempted
The key is kick it just over the front line and it’s a foot race
The blockers are gonna be back near the return guy so there is a huge space there
I think the blockers are gonna be more speedy guys to cover that area
The other 8 have to be on the line and you better have a couple of fast guys who’s whole job is chase those attemps

conner01

Reaction score
As I have read, his fumbling, oddly enough, was totally to be found in the punting returns and not for the kickoffs. Go figure.:huh:
Most was fielding punts
Everyone last year were muffed punts
Solution, don’t put him back returning punts
Kick offs if muffed you still have time to recover and his speed could be dangerous
I suspect Beasley will be returning punts
Does anyone else have return experience?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think they really want that.

What about onside kicks? What about those critical holding calls that back teams up inside the 10, or muffed catches that result in bad field position? What about that high kickoff in Philly a few years ago in the wind that led to a Cowboys recovery? What about exciting returns for touchdowns? What about those costly kicks out of bounds that take the ball out to the 40?

Too much of the game is lost by just putting it at the 25-yard line, even though so many are kicked off for touchbacks. When the elements kick in, things get unpredictable. That shouldn't be lost.
Totally agree.

The NFL continues to deteriorate for its financial survival. For a more puristic and traditional rendition we have Amateur football.

GMO415

Reaction score
Attention Tavon Austin, and all Cowboys headed for the kickoff teams.

The kickoff continues to be tweaked. New this year:

1. Kickoff coverage guys can no longer get a running start. They now have to line up within one yard of the 35-yard line. (This helps the return game.)

2. Kickoffs will be ruled touchbacks the second they hit the end zone on the ground. (Makes sense to avoid unnecessary hits on blocks upfield.)

3. No more 2 or 3 man blocking wedges to double-team guys. (This helps coverage units.)

It seems like they're trying to save the kickoff somehow instead of eliminating it altogether. Not sure it will work. There is a lot of potential strategy to the kickoff, not the least of which is the onsides kick. Especially the surprise variety you see sometimes early in games. The kickoff needs to stay.

Meanwhile, perhaps this could be good for Austin if the coverage guys are a little slower getting downfield.
giphy.gif

conner01

Reaction score
Makes it harder.
Takes away the option that they currently think is the easiest to win, because that is the option they currently choose to take.
But it opens up more of the field with fewer people to cover it
I watched Sean Peyton talking about it and he thinks onside kicks will go up
It takes away the old way but opens up a easier new way

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Most was fielding punts
Everyone last year were muffed punts
Solution, don’t put him back returning punts
Kick offs if muffed you still have time to recover and his speed could be dangerous
I suspect Beasley will be returning punts
Does anyone else have return experience?

Thompson has done it before and might be afforded a chance to do so with Dallas. He has the speed to be a threat.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hate constant rules changes by the NFL. Leave the game alone. I would make the standard contract to have in big bold letters "NFL FOOTBALL CAN BE HAZARDOUSE TO YOUR HEALTH" Play or don't play

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I don't think they really want that.

What about onside kicks? What about those critical holding calls that back teams up inside the 10, or muffed catches that result in bad field position? What about that high kickoff in Philly a few years ago in the wind that led to a Cowboys recovery? What about exciting returns for touchdowns? What about those costly kicks out of bounds that take the ball out to the 40?

Too much of the game is lost by just putting it at the 25-yard line, even though so many are kicked off for touchbacks. When the elements kick in, things get unpredictable. That shouldn't be lost.
It shouldn't be lost, but sadly I think the writing is on the wall.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Attention Tavon Austin, and all Cowboys headed for the kickoff teams.

The kickoff continues to be tweaked. New this year:

1. Kickoff coverage guys can no longer get a running start. They now have to line up within one yard of the 35-yard line. (This helps the return game.)

2. Kickoffs will be ruled touchbacks the second they hit the end zone on the ground. (Makes sense to avoid unnecessary hits on blocks upfield.)

3. No more 2 or 3 man blocking wedges to double-team guys. (This helps coverage units.)

Meanwhile, perhaps this could be good for Austin if the coverage guys are a little slower getting downfield.
Powerful insightfulness relayed @erod :thumbup:,,,how can one ever discount the omnipresent threat of the onsides kick?,,,great food for the thoughts process of the short sighted footballish brain trust thats currently lowering the leagues altitude:cool:

:clap::hammer::clap: