Kingsley Suamataia gaining traction as a Cowboys pick

reddyuta

Reaction score
Are you seeing reporters say this or “content creators” ?

I ask because there are 2 or 3 popular Cowboys X content creators who every year just bombard you with every draft prospect only to say they were “on” this player before the draft. The main two accounts that are pushing Kingsley are reminding their followers how they were all over Tyler Smith and Mazi Smith. If you were paying attention at the time, they were all over 20 players. Then they go back and delete the posts on the other players.

Cool.
generally you should not trust anything on X at face value but i have seen some speculation in various Sites like Bloggingtheboys etc.I too would prefer a trade down to select him like we did with Frederick.

Carson

Reaction score
Are you seeing reporters say this or “content creators” ?

I ask because there are 2 or 3 popular Cowboys X content creators who every year just bombard you with every draft prospect only to say they were “on” this player before the draft. The main two accounts that are pushing Kingsley are reminding their followers how they were all over Tyler Smith and Mazi Smith. If you were paying attention at the time, they were all over 20 players. Then they go back and delete the posts on the other players.

Cool.
Good points.

I won’t lie though, I haven’t been surprised by our 1st pick since maybe Morris Claiborne.

Frederick was a bit of a surprise, Lamb was only because he was still on the board. Martin / Manziel was interesting.

But the rest of Byron Jones, LVE, Zeke, Taco, Hill, Tyler Smith were locks.

Mazi was a bit of a shock as we didn’t think they’d actually go DT.

But for the most part they show which way they are going and stick to it (seems to work well outside of Taco and Hill)

Carson

Reaction score
generally you should not trust anything on X at face value but i have seen some speculation in various Sites like Bloggingtheboys etc.I too would prefer a trade down to select him like we did with Frederick.
Absolutely agreed.

Trade down and a guy like Kingsley, Guyton etc = I’m happy

Staying at 24 not as much.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think he has just as high of a ceiling as Guyton or Mims, but with more experience at LT. I agree he’s a little raw, but expecting a ready to go plug and play LT at pick 24 is also fairly unrealistic. All of these guys have warts in some way or another.

Carson

Reaction score
I think he has just as high of a ceiling as Guyton or Mims, but with more experience at LT. I agree he’s a little raw, but expecting a ready to go plug and play LT at pick 24 is also fairly unrealistic. All of these guys have warts in some way or another.
That is my biggest complaint with the guys we are mocked to.

“Guyton can sit out a year or plug and play RT!” So are we moving Steele or just benching him with that contract

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Actually watched two games of his when I saw peeps on this site were mentioning him weeks ago.

Didn’t get beat to the outside once and refrained from overextending when engaging outside rushers. A couple times was susceptible to an outside jab step and inside rush and saw him shift too much to his left on a spin move losing that battle. Seemed to take care of business in the run a game and got downfield nicely in the quick pass game and was trying to deliver blocks with bad intentions.

I liked him more than I expected, however, the sampling of pass rushes I saw him defend consisted of the D-end trying to get wide (probably 90% of the time) and he wise to this game. Just makes me wonder how he handles a toolsy pash rusher.

If there’s a plus, at least he’s been playing the position whereas other popular potentials have been making their kick step with the opposite foot. I’ve never played the line but I’m sure that simple sounding task is a completely different feel to the player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He appears more of a 2nd rounder by most and perhaps a trade back target, but cannot rule him out, either. Does have experience playing both Left/Right Tackle but does need development.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When you brought up Kingsley's name, it just hit me like a bolt from the blue. This is our first rounder. I got pissed as soon as I saw the thread title, and I know that Will McClay feeds off that.

The last two Cowboys first rounders, have been exactly the guys I hoped we wouldn't pick. And 2 of the last 3 second rounders are dudes I intensely disliked as prospects as well. I did think Sam Williams was a great choice.

I never even considered Suamataia as a first rounder, but if he is, he'd instantly replace Tyler Guyton at the top of my 1st round smash-the-TV list. In a class with like 8 LTs who look ready to start, and another 3 or 4 interior linemen who are day 1 ready, I have no idea why you'd choose the raw project player on day 1 at all. But he's really athletic, he's super risky, he fills a big need, and he'd completely piss me off if we picked him. It's like the Cowboys draft quadfecta. Lock this guy in now.
Really athletic, young with high potential to me means 3rd or later pick. If it did not translate and stand out in college, what are the odds it will in the NFL?

So you believe our coaching is that good?

First round pick needs to be an impact starter immediately otherwise we are reaching to fill a hole, and we have lots of them after this free agency.

tm1119

Reaction score
Really athletic, young with high potential to me means 3rd or later pick. If it did not translate and stand out in college, what are the odds it will in the NFL?

First round pick needs to be an impact starter immediately otherwise we are reaching to fill a hole, and we have lots of them after this free agency.
He stood out in college plenty, this is just a really deep OT class. We’re talking about a kid who was credited with giving up only 2 sacks in 23 starts, not a complete project. He just needs some coaching on hand placement and learning to not be too aggressive. Similar problems Tyler Smith had coming out of college.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He stood out in college plenty, this is just a really deep OT class. We’re talking about a kid who was credited with giving up only 2 sacks in 23 starts, not a complete project. He just needs some coaching on hand placement and learning to not be too aggressive. Similar problems Tyler Smith had coming out of college.
Did he play LT or RT? Not as familiar with him.

Just trying to make a point that when the positive comments start with, young, athletic, potential, these are buzzwords for needs to be developed.

tm1119

Reaction score
Did he play LT or RT? Not as familiar with him.

Just trying to make a point that when the positive comments start with, young, athletic, potential, these are buzzwords for needs to be developed.
1 full year of each. LT last year.

I get not wanting a project, but when you’re picking at the end of the 1st the idea of a getting a perfect prospect that doesn’t need some development isn’t that realistic. You also don’t want to sacrifice potential/ceiling because a player is deemed “safer”.

cnuball21

Reaction score

He’s arguably a better prospect than Tyler was, so yea, our OL coaching is pretty darn good.

tm1119

Reaction score
In a perfect world (that probably won’t happen), the Cowboys can trade back 4-6 spots for an extra 4th + 5th/6th and have their choice of Kingsley, Morgan, or JPJ. Wouldn’t shock me if Guyton fell there too

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
He’s arguably a better prospect than Tyler was, so yea, our OL coaching is pretty darn good.
I remember that before his rookie season Tyler trained with some "oline whisperer" and he continued with the same guy after that. Between him and the coaches someone sure did something right.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I know OL is a major need. But we have a total of 6-7 needs. We often not only draft for need but force a pick on our primary need.

When it comes to the first I’d much rather take BPA at one of the 7 need positions instead of trying to force a pick at OL, etc.

In ‘21 we wanted a top CB, but when they were gone we went with BPA Micah. But then we forced a CB pick in the 2nd on Joseph. Same with Schoonmaker last year. Even with Mazi and somewhat with Sam Williams in the 2nd a couple of years ago.

At some point you have to address the primary needs but we draft better when we take BPA from our overall need areas rather than targeting one position. The way this year is shaping up BPA, within reason, would be a good idea across the board,

RS12

Reaction score
I remember that before his rookie season Tyler trained with some "oline whisperer" and he continued with the same guy after that. Between him and the coaches someone sure did something right.
The whisperer is Duke Mayweather who still works with him and many others. It is Duke's opinion that Tyler should stsy at LG per his twitter feed. I dont know how many of this years draft class Duke has worked with so far.