Kiper Mock 1.0 1/26/21

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Nope I don't say that because I have no clue about the player. And neither do you.
Uh huh.

This is a draft forum. Posters are literally discussing which players they think they like and which ones they don't.

Only Jerry has a clue right?

Explains Taco and Trysten.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Uh huh.

This is a draft forum. Posters are literally discussing which players they think they like and which ones they don't.

Only Jerry has a clue right?

Explains Taco and Trysten.
No problem discussing that. But don't try and change the narrative. I'm just talking about those, like you, that are going to crap on any draft pick the Cowboys make.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
i don’t agree
What is the evidence that the value is there for CB at 10 but not OT?

My opinion, which I prefaced with I haven't watched much of college football, so I'm far from an authority

People overrate CB value a lot IMO.
Both these CBs have big question marks. Farley has injury history and didn’t play this year and Surtain was never really tested as Bama CBs rarely are because of their front 7. He will not have to run at the Combine so I would stag away from him.

Which is why I'm not big on taking them, just pointing out that the consensus value with them seems around 10. This *will* change quite a bit, and how much of this is based off recognition, as opposed to merit, not sure to be honest

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

See, you're simply not paying attention. No one here talks more draft prospects than I do. Plenty I like, plenty I don't like. I have the integrity to say when I like a Cowboys draft pick.....off the top of my head..Tyron Smith, Donovan Wilson, Michael Gallup were all pet cats of mine and I was talking about them here long before we drafted them. Plenty I hate... I knew Trysten Hill was a slug. Wasn't thrilled with Neville Gallimore either.

Integrity. You should try it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
See, you're simply not paying attention. No one here talks more draft prospects than I do. Plenty I like, plenty I don't like. I have the integrity to say when I like a Cowboys draft pick.....off the top of my head..Tyron Smith, Donovan Wilson, Michael Gallup were all pet cats of mine and I was talking about them here long before we drafted them. Plenty I hate... I knew Trysten Hill was a slug. Wasn't thrilled with Neville Gallimore either.

Integrity. You should try it.
Integrity? Yet you deny that the vast majority of your posts are negative?:facepalm:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And if Smith, Martin and Collins had been healthy, then Wash DL doesn't dominate. If Slater is there, I can see him sliding in to play LG for a year or two until Tyron retires and then kicking him out to LT.
That would be the plan yr 1.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tyron and La'el missed the whole season, basically. What if they don't come back or come back less effective? Dallas should've drafted a OT last draft, and not getting one in this draft would be gambling with a QB coming off a serious injury.

I'm big on building the defense, but I wouldn't fuss knowing they really need a Tackle. And with said, draft defense defense defense.

Carson

Reaction score
Tyron and La'el missed the whole season, basically. What if they don't come back or come back less effective? Dallas should've drafted a OT last draft, and not getting one in this draft would be gambling with a QB coming off a serious injury.

I'm big on building the defense, but I wouldn't fuss knowing they really need a Tackle. And with said, draft defense defense defense.

That’s the thing about this. We don’t know / won’t know about Collins and Smith until the draft. But I’m 100% Mike, Jerry, Kellen know what’s going on with them and will draft accordingly.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
At what price? We paid Jarwin 22 mil. You think Schultz is going to sign for less? Schultz was a starter last year. You think he's signing for cheap? I don't think so. Taking a CB is pointless, as I said and there isn't a Safety worth the 10th pick so why spend the money on a CB that is going to cost you more cap down the road and will likely be let loose after his rookie contract? I mean, did you not watch what just happened with Jones? What DL is there that you are going to take at 10 overall? Which one of the players available are you going to overdraft and overpay there? That leaves OL and specifically OT because we have more Guards then we need and Centers aren't taken in the top 10. So tell me, what "Trench" guy are you gonna draft that I haven't already addressed?

Seriously, did you even read my post?
Schultz is like Anthony Hitchens. Yes he’s adequate and does a good job but he’s easily replaceable after this year.

As far as not thinking you need good corners, Dan Quinn played Cover 3 only 30% of the time. Richard was around 55%. That means you still need man cover corners for the times you’re in 3rd and short or want to dial up a blitz. 7 out of 10 plays are something other than cover 3.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
i don’t agree
What is the evidence that the value is there for CB at 10 but not OT?

People overrate CB value a lot IMO.
Both these CBs have big question marks. Farley has injury history and didn’t play this year and Surtain was never really tested as Bama CBs rarely are because of their front 7. He will not have to run at the Combine so I would stag away from him.

My own preference would be to trade down to 16-20 range and take Collins or Barmore but if we can’t trade down and don’t think Collins is worth 10 then I’m taking Slater over either CB
:bow:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For me it's Farley/Surtain or Slater/Darrisaw at 10. Want no part of Parsons. Farley would be the only player I would hesitate to trade away from, but probably would do it if we could get an additional 2nd rd pick. Depending how far we move, we could still land 1 of the 4.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Schultz is like Anthony Hitchens. Yes he’s adequate and does a good job but he’s easily replaceable after this year.

As far as not thinking you need good corners, Dan Quinn played Cover 3 30% only of the time. Richard was around 55%. That means you still need man cover corners for the times you’re in 3rd and short or want to dial up a blitz. 7 out of 10 plays are something other than cover 3.

Fair enough but in his Cover 3, he doesn't design it to use his DBs to cover all over the field for however long. In his scheme, he bets that the DL will get to the QB before the QB is able to complete the deep downfield pass. This is why Corners in his scheme don't have to be all world athletes and also why he covets long athletes. They don't have to play singled up long. They also don't bump and run much. They will play tight and bail a lot and will disguise to look like Cover 3 but in reality it's a high shell with a single man and everybody else playing a hybrid zone. I would be very surprised if they actually do play 30 percent cover three but either way, the way to make that scheme work is to keep costs down on things like CBs. Sherman was a 5th rd pick, Byron Maxwell was a 6th round pick. The Safety is the key, it's not the fantastic athletes at CB.

As an aside, I didn't say you don't need good Corners. I said you don't need that all world speed at CB that usually dictates a 1st round grade. I never said you don't need good Corners but they have to be good at certain phases. Tackling, attacking the ball, playing physically, understanding gap alignments and basically coverting from man to zone quickly. Boundry CB skills need to be very good. They need to be tough and smart but all of that you can get in later rounds. You don't need to spend a 1st round pick on corners for that scheme. It actually hurts you more then it helps in the cap era because you end up spending when you should really be saving money at the CB position.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like it...

But...

These types of picks do nothing in terms of changing our poor fortune.

kumizi

Reaction score
Unless Lael or Tyron is retiring, I cannot see how this makes any sense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless Lael or Tyron is retiring, I cannot see how this makes any sense.

Because 1) the NFL Draft is not veteran free agency. It's a talent acquisition exercise for the future. and 2) as a bonus, Slater can play OG at a very high level. He would absolutely start year 1 one way or the other. So that should please all you I don't know what the draft is really all about just give me immediate production folks.

garyv

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/...uding-justin-fields-zach-wilson-devonta-smith

1. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson
2. N.Y. Jets - DeVonte Smith WR Alabama
3. Miami (Houston) - Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU
4. Atlanta - Zach Wilson QB BYU
5. Cincinnati - Penei Sewell T Oregon
6. Philadelphia - Jaylen Waddle WR Alabama
7. Detroit - Justin Fields QB Ohio St.
8. Carolina - Trey Lance QB North Dakota St.
9. Denver - Micah Parsons LB Penn St.

10. Dallas - Rashawn Slater OL Northwestern
Heading into the 2020 season, the Cowboys' offensive line looked solid on paper, and that was after center Travis Frederick retired in March. But then injuries hit: Right tackle La'el Collins missed every game, left tackle Tyron Smith played just two and guard Zack Martin missed six. And what you saw was a poor Cowboys offense, even before quarterback Dak Prescott was lost for the season due to his ankle injury. That's why I think Slater fits in Dallas, where he could play either tackle spot or move inside to guard. Todd McShay thinks Slater could excel at center, too. He was another prospect who opted out, but he didn't allow a single sack playing left tackle in 2019. This is a spot to watch for Surtain as well because Chidobe Awuzie could leave in free agency.

11. N.Y. Giants - Kyle Pitts TE Florida
12. San Francisco - Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama
13. L.A. Chargers - Christian Darrisaw T Virginia Tech
14. Minnesota - Alijah Vera-Tucker T/G USC
15. New England - Mac Jones QB Alabama
16. Arizona - Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech
17. Las Vegas - Jaelan Phillips DE Miami
18. Miami - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame
19. Washington - Kadarius Toney WR Florida
20. Chicago - Teven Jenkins T Oklahoma St.
21. Indianapolis - Kwity Paye DE Michigan
22. Tennessee - Gregory Rousseau DE Miami
23. N.Y. Jets (Seattle) - Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina
24. Pittsburgh - Zaven Collins OLB/DE Tulsa
25. Jacksonville (L.A.Rams) - Christian Barmore DT Alabama
26. Cleveland - Aaron Robinson DB UCF
27. Baltimore - Terrace Marshall Jr. WR LSU
28. New Orleans - Trevon Moehrig S TCU
29. Green Bay - Tyson Campbell CB Georgia
30. Buffalo - Najee Harris RB Alabama
31. Tampa Bay - Joe Tryon DE Washington
32. Kansas City - Azeez Ojulari OLB/DE Georgia

Hmmmmm Slater at # 10 why does this not make me feel good. Here is my true gut feeling
I like Surtain BUT I want to see his speed before committing if runs a 5.5 at his pro day than
Farley might be the guy however if he runs a 4.5 totally different story this is up in the air

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Integrity? Yet you deny that the vast majority of your posts are negative?:facepalm:
Being critical of anything has nothing to do with integrity,

Are you under the impression that people with integrity can only be positive about everything?

Try again.