Kiper's Grade A draft

jnday

Reaction score
Then you can't complain about the defense. Because that's what trading up for him would cost us.
As long as Marinelli is the D.C., I don't care if they spend the any draft picks on defense. It is a waste because the D.C. is too old and stubborn to build a defense for his scheme.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Click the link for the rest of the league.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/i...l-kiper-plays-gm-three-rounds-first-100-picks

Round 1 (19):
Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Round 2 (50): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Round 3 (81): Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State

Anthony Hitchens got a big free-agent deal from the Chiefs, and we still don't know if Jaylon Smith is going to get back to his pre-injury form. That's why if I'm the Dallas GM, I'm taking a hard-hitting, versatile linebacker in Evans. He's a three-down player with a high ceiling.

Gesicki won't be Jason Witten's replacement on Day 1 -- he was a glorified slot receiver for the Nittany Lions. He needs time (and coaching) to figure out how to be an inline blocker. As a receiver, though, the 6-5, 247-pound Gesicki is a nightmare matchup for linebackers and safeties. I really like Shepherd, who broke a hand in practice at the Senior Bowl. I don't know if he'll be a penetrating 3-technique, but his tape is impressive.

Depending on what happens with Dez Bryant over the next few weeks, wide receiver could be another position to address with these picks.
Is the Evans pick figuring Leighton being gone at 19?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten is done. He won't play a couple more seasons at the most. Drafting a TE in this draft would not be the same as in the past.

Right? If he was 29 I'd agree. We'd be wasting a high pick on a backup. He's 35 years old now. It's time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree about what they have done in the past. I find this league is ever evolving. One coach working in the lab comes up with a way to stop player X, or offense Y...ect.

Then the rest of the NFL world suddenly molds their squads to mimic that plan. We saw that this last year with Dak.

Why this franchise will not grow, change, alter their past playbook is beyond me. I have no doubt in my mind this franchise will pass on the TE, if he gets to the team in the second.

More my wishful thinking, that Witten might take a kid who has an athletic ability and teach him what it takes to be a Hall of Famer, minus an eye on having a musical career.

Not a fan of Gathers I take it? Player or musician?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Just because you say something doesn’t make it so. All I have said is that for this upcoming year the Cowboys are good at TE with Witten, Rico and Hannah. No need to draft one this year. It’d be more prudent to spend that high of a draft pick on defense or offensive line

A reasonable and civil retort. The OP's pick is reasonable. I'd keep Rico this last year but that's because we have Witten and Hannah as well as Swaim. We need a TE like him but not if they're going to slow him down by adding too much muscle mass.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Not a fan of Gathers I take it? Player or musician?

At one point I thought with his athleticism and size and speed, this could be a one of a kind player at his position. The concussion and it's length to heal was a bit disconcerting. But then I came to grips with this and decided by the time he was healthy the team had gone past the point of no return with the season and the Cowboys may have decided to redshirt him again.

That's fine.

His braggadocio this off season caused me to go out and read as much as I could about this. I guess I'm old school and would prefer a player that has not done anything, especially when he hasn't really played at this level for any time at all, I would like a little humility. Don't tell me what you will do, show me. Then brag.

So I am not off of him, per se. I am in a wait and see. If he can play to his immense talent, then bring it. If he is in the tub and not on the field, then who does this team have after Witten. Hence, my interest in this TE at the beginning of this thread. I think he has some mad skills.

Did I straddle the fence successfully?

Johnny23

Reaction score
As long as Marinelli is the D.C., I don't care if they spend the any draft picks on defense. It is a waste because the D.C. is too old and stubborn to build a defense for his scheme.
I can't agree with this. We need defensive players more than a tight end or wide receiver or qb. It is killing this team to give up chunk plays up the middle or have qb's step up in a clean pocket when the ends wash past him on the outside. It's anything BUT a waste... It's paramount we get two linebackers, a DT, and safety more than trying to draft more Jerryesque shiny new toys on offense. I know Witten is at the end and Dez is up.in the air but damn it we need to address the middle of our defense and get it right. Stop neglecting it looking for the next big time on O.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At one point I thought with his athleticism and size and speed, this could be a one of a kind player at his position. The concussion and it's length to heal was a bit disconcerting. But then I came to grips with this and decided by the time he was healthy the team had gone past the point of no return with the season and the Cowboys may have decided to redshirt him again.

That's fine.

His braggadocio this off season caused me to go out and read as much as I could about this. I guess I'm old school and would prefer a player that has not done anything, especially when he hasn't really played at this level for any time at all, I would like a little humility. Don't tell me what you will do, show me. Then brag.

So I am not off of him, per se. I am in a wait and see. If he can play to his immense talent, then bring it. If he is in the tub and not on the field, then who does this team have after Witten. Hence, my interest in this TE at the beginning of this thread. I think he has some mad skills.

Did I straddle the fence successfully?

Oh yeah! Great job! All bases covered.
:thumbup::laugh:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Risen Star's Grade A draft....

Round 1 (6): Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
Round 2 (50): Traded for Baker Mayfield
Round 3 (81): Traded for Baker Mayfield
The Colts would laugh at your trade proposal
#6 = 1600
#19 + #50 + #81 = 1460