Kiper's Grade A draft

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
playing the tight end in slot and other things. Witten takes 98 % of the snaps. And we took that scrub Escobar. And others who neber saw the light of day because of witten to.even justify the picks.

Witten will be 36. Drafting a TE today is not the same thing as drafting Escobar (or Fasano or Bennett).

Witten isn't likely to be on the team next year, and if he is, we're in trouble if he's starting.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Witten will be 36. Drafting a TE today is not the same thing as drafting Escobar (or Fasano or Bennett).

Witten isn't likely to be on the team next year, and if he is, we're in trouble if he's starting.
We are in trouble . They won't address it until he decides to retire.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
We are in trouble . They won't address it until he decides to retire.

They've tried multiple times. The track record is there. They nearly pulled the trigger on Eifert, even. Clearly they want someone in place when the time comes.

DiResta

Reaction score
Nothing's bigger than QB. Nothing. Until that is right you are fighting an up hill battle. The Eagles have the guy that should have been ours and it's team altering for both teams.

So yes. I would absolutely give up the first 3 picks of any draft to acquire a real QB and not some bum who struggles to throw for 150 yards against real defenses.

Could Mayfield bust? Of course. But at least I have a shot with him. With this current guy I have no shot. There's no talent there.
well if you really believed that ******* was going to be the franchise qb you want
ive seen mocks with him falling out of the top 10
very possible you could trade this years 1st and next years which would be like a 2nd since youre picking @ #32
he may be the next Drew but that attitude makes Rivers look like a introvert

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Just watched the video on this tight end. The kid is athletic as all Hell.

The video has some sketchy lyrics - as a side note I have no idea why these highlight films require this type of music.

Copy this and head to YouTube - Mike Gesicki Penn State Career Highlight Mix || “Psycho”

Now look at the sick catch at the 2"30 mark. If anyone thinks this team has someone like this now, please tell me who he is. I love me some Witten. But this kid is a beast.

TE isn't a sexy pick. I get it. The team has needs. I get that. But the more you flood the missle with real pass catchers, the more pressure it puts on the outside.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

The video has some sketchy lyrics - as a side note I have no idea why these highlight films require this type of music.

Copy this and head to YouTube - Mike Gesicki Penn State Career Highlight Mix || “Psycho”

Now look at the sick catch at the 2"30 mark. If anyone thinks this team has someone like this now, please tell me who he is. I love me some Witten. But this kid is a beast.

TE isn't a sexy pick. I get it. The team has needs. I get that. But the more you flood the missle with real pass catchers, the more pressure it puts on the outside.

If he can't block he won't be on the field for over half the snaps.

But he is faster than Dez. Maybe we play him out wide. I kid. Hey, if a second round guy slips to the third, why not. You should always be looking for the BPA.

DiResta

Reaction score
the Cowboys drafted Hanna who was a freakish talent running a 4.49 40 at 250 lbs and Escobar who they knew was not a blocking tightend
they never used either of these guys
i remember Bennett making that crazy 1 handed catch down the seam in camp from Romo
thinking what a weapon he would be
yeah
they never used him either

if Dak is going to dump the ball off every time at least have someone with a little something

not only that
its sad seeing old Witten brace for the hit of the 2 guys sitting on his route

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If he can't block he won't be on the field for over half the snaps.

But he is faster than Dez. Maybe we play him out wide. I kid. Hey, if a second round guy slips to the third, why not. You should always be looking for the BPA.

Do you recall Witten's first years. He was not a stud blocker, either. He learned and earned it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, sorry to inject my opinion into this discussion, but if this TE can play, and is anything like Risen proclaims - I understand that leaves a lot of wiggle room - then drifting someone to learn from Witten until he leaves isn't a bad thing.

But understand this, if Rico Suave can be a real deal player, and the team added another guy who can cause disruption in the defensive backfield as well, that has to make this team better.

Hell, the Pats were trying to do that recently themselves. The idea of two players that can exploit the hash marks, makes the outside guys better.

Just a thought.

Hey, don't apologize for adding an opinion, all are welcome. And there's no wrong opinion, just disagreements in approach.

I do know that the Cowboys have tried to fo the two TE thing for over a decade now, it just never happens. There's Jason Witten...................................... and a bunch of part-time backup TE's. For how little they actually play, I can't figure out why they keep so many.

And I don't have faith that that dynamic would somehow change until Witten retires. So my fear is that any investment in a TE would never produce a proper return.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind taking a QB high, I'm just not trading up. If they really think Prescott has nothing they should release Witten, Crawford, Bryant, Prescott, clear out cap room and tank in order to get a top 5 pick next year. I'd only trade up if I thought Baker Mayfield was Peyton Manning, and I don't think that.

TE is not a terrible pick by any means, although I'm not familiar with Gesicki. No matter what happens with Bryant on Friday I think his 1000+ yard 12 td days are behind him. Witten is declining rapidly, they literally have no legitimate prospects on the team terms of receivers or TEs. Rico Gathers is a lottery ticket.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He was also 265 and picked in the fourth round.

2003 1 1 5 5 Terence Newman DB Kansas State
2 2 6 38 Al Johnson C Wisconsin
3 3 5 69 Jason Witten TE Tennessee
4 4 6 103 Bradie James LB Louisiana State
5 6 5 178 B.J. Tucker DB Wisconsin
6 6 13 186 Zuriel Smith WR Hampton
7 7 5 219 Justin Bates G Colorado

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/

Wikipedia

Born:
May 6, 1982 (age 35)
Elizabethton, Tennessee
Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight: 263 lb (119 kg)

Google

Height 6′ 6″, Weight 265 lbs

He still is. Except he was drafted in the third round.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Hey, don't apologize for adding an opinion, all are welcome. And there's no wrong opinion, just disagreements in approach.

I do know that the Cowboys have tried to fo the two TE thing for over a decade now, it just never happens. There's Jason Witten...................................... and a bunch of part-time backup TE's. For how little they actually play, I can't figure out why they keep so many.

And I don't have faith that that dynamic would somehow change until Witten retires. So my fear is that any investment in a TE would never produce a proper return.

I agree about what they have done in the past. I find this league is ever evolving. One coach working in the lab comes up with a way to stop player X, or offense Y...ect.

Then the rest of the NFL world suddenly molds their squads to mimic that plan. We saw that this last year with Dak.

Why this franchise will not grow, change, alter their past playbook is beyond me. I have no doubt in my mind this franchise will pass on the TE, if he gets to the team in the second.

More my wishful thinking, that Witten might take a kid who has an athletic ability and teach him what it takes to be a Hall of Famer, minus an eye on having a musical career.

CowboyChris

Reaction score

I doubt he will be there at pick 50, so that should end that speculation

BlindFaith

Reaction score
2003 1 1 5 5 Terence Newman DB Kansas State
2 2 6 38 Al Johnson C Wisconsin
3 3 5 69 Jason Witten TE Tennessee
4 4 6 103 Bradie James LB Louisiana State
5 6 5 178 B.J. Tucker DB Wisconsin
6 6 13 186 Zuriel Smith WR Hampton
7 7 5 219 Justin Bates G Colorado

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/

Wikipedia

Born:
May 6, 1982 (age 35)
Elizabethton, Tennessee
Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight: 263 lb (119 kg)

Google

Height 6′ 6″, Weight 265 lbs

He still is. Except he was drafted in the third round.
Yep. My mistake.