News: Kitna and Moore to take Cowboys to next level with spread offense

_sturt_

Reaction score
Um. This article is completely based it appears on a single tweet by a guy in New York who runs a refrigeration business....

Really?

We are not worthy of such excellence in journalism.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I’m all for trying something to try and cater to our QB skill set. 24th in passing offense and 22nd overall definitely needs to improve if we intend to take this offense to the next level. Not to mention our Redzone woes.

“The most important change will have to come in the red zone. Dallas was awful in the red zone last season– they finished 26th in red zone touchdown percentage (51.79 percent).”
That equates to a lot of points left out on the field and not the scoreboard. I cringed when they would get inside the 20 because it seemed like they were just kicking field goals. Drove me crazy.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
“Having a spread offense forces the defense to show more of their hand pre-snap. Instead of having a condensed box where things get muddled together, the roles of the defenders will be more clear for Prescott.

Also, Prescott will probably run the ball more from these spread out formations. Then after one drive where it is very pass-heavy, the Cowboys can come out and run the ball.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...o-next-level-mike-weber-leaves-practice-early

Next level? That puts us, what, 10 years behind the rest of the league?

conner01

Reaction score
He couldn't read a defense. That's not a big secret.
There is a huge difference in The build of the players. Also the idea that Dak will run 10 times a game is silly. Other than the red zone he only needs to run 3-4 times a game. It’s not the run but the threat of the run
Also most of the time RG was hurt was in the pocket

Sydla

Reaction score
“Having a spread offense forces the defense to show more of their hand pre-snap. Instead of having a condensed box where things get muddled together, the roles of the defenders will be more clear for Prescott.

Also, Prescott will probably run the ball more from these spread out formations. Then after one drive where it is very pass-heavy, the Cowboys can come out and run the ball.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...o-next-level-mike-weber-leaves-practice-early

Admittedly if, and that's a big if, Moore and Kitna have free reign to change the offense (which I still have my doubts) and they bring in a more wide open offense, it's going to be one hell of an interesting first month of the season to see how this thing looks (as i doubt they would show much in preseason).

But again, it's really strange, I mean very, very, very strange, that we'd have a situation where the head coach could be on the hot seat and he's put his entire job in the hands of a first time OC who has one year of coaching experience at any level under his belt.

But then again, nothing the Cowboys do should surprise anyone.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not a fan of Prescott running the ball more, I get that he can but it also exposes him to more hits and a greater chance of injury. Everyone thought that RGIII was going to be unstoppable and that lasted what? a season and a half?

It's one of his better strengths. He's not a Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady kill you with his arm type QB. He's at his best when he's got teams on their heels because he can run the ball.

I get the whole injury factor here but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to take away something that he's good at and would make this offense better and tougher to defend.

Sydla

Reaction score
Meaning what? That we were sluggish anyway so whats the difference? Maybe so but I have seen qb's there are/were decent go into another system and they can't seem to get it going. I expect that those that had a hard time last year will be better this year because they have a year under their belt with the new coach.

I am still missing your point.

Are you saying we should stick with our current offensive schemes because we are more familiar with them? Or are you just trying to set expectations for fans that they should expect the offense to struggle early?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Good thought but I'll wait and see on that one

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see. I am assuming there will be some changes with a new more modern OC. We will see pretty soon. They will need to practice quite a bit in TC to get it down.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If Bob Vance is taken this seriously, I wonder what David Wallace has to say on the topic.

Rayman70

Reaction score
TYPICAL may, POST DRAFT click bait material. No real truth to it or substance. Waste of time in general.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a fan of Prescott running the ball more, I get that he can but it also exposes him to more hits and a greater chance of injury. Everyone thought that RGIII was going to be unstoppable and that lasted what? a season and a half?
QB's running out of the spread are not the same when Griffin was doing it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Is this poster thinking the base will be a spread offense, or just that there will be a few more plays run from spread formations? Maybe a few more plays, but spread will not be the base.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most NFL teams are adopting parts of the spread offense out of necessity and I am assuming Moore is no different and not that far removed from his playing days.

What many people don't consider, because of the formation, it is not a passing offense. Chip Kelly used it to stretch the D and expand the second level so when his QB or RB ran the ball, it was much more wide open. The NFL DC's don't like it because it puts too much pressure on the individual player and makes team D more difficult. Many DC's have gone to Tuscaloosa to visit with the best mind in the business and even he's struggled with it and he has nothing but 5 stars on defense.

If they really do incorporate parts of the spread into the passing game, and I believe they have the WR corps to do that now, the QB has to get rid of the ball quicker because of the pressure on the OL and with a route runner like Cooper and a WR that can get deep like Gallup, that presents a problem for a pass defense.

But this is the natural evolution of NFL ball and if AZ has any success with a spread HC and very mobile QB, we're going to see a lot more of it.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Surely they will change the offense since they got a new OC and brought in Kitna. Kitna will probably be more of an asset than Moore but you never know......