News: Kitna and Moore to take Cowboys to next level with spread offense

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this poster thinking the base will be a spread offense, or just that there will be a few more plays run from spread formations? Maybe a few more plays, but spread will not be the base.
NE has been running some spread plays for quite some time, and better than any other NFL team but that's not their base. The Run n Shoot didn't work before as a base and it's not going to work now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is this poster thinking the base will be a spread offense, or just that there will be a few more plays run from spread formations? Maybe a few more plays, but spread will not be the base.
I’m not really sure. They are just quoted as saying “ spread” offense. Nor a variation or limited.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surely they will change the offense since they got a new OC and brought in Kitna. Kitna will probably be more of an asset than Moore but you never know......
Kitna was a cerebral QB, much like Garrett was, so I think that's what he brings to the party.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Surely they will change the offense since they got a new OC and brought in Kitna. Kitna will probably be more of an asset than Moore but you never know......
In the story it mentioned Kitnas experience in High School coaching would be an asset.

GMO415

Reaction score
Linehan refused to run such an offense. I can see Moore calling more of these plays.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not really sure. They are just quoted as saying “ spread” offense. Nor a variation or limited.

Who was quoted though? I think it was just the poster rather than a quote from anyone with the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Linehan refused to run such an offense. I can see Moore calling more of these plays.
And it appears to make sense with Daks skill set. I’m just not sure it fits the rest of our talent like on OL and rushing game.

But this new spread offensive scheme is apparently an effort to take our offense to the next level with a QB whose assets aren't necessarily optimized in a more normal NFL pro set offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who was quoted though? I think it was just the poster rather than a quote from anyone with the Cowboys.
Yep . An opinion based on several observations of incoming coaching changes. Nothing apparently official from Cowboys.

It’s an opinion and potential scheme which provides me more hope for our offense.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure. Linehan ran Garretts offense. Does Moore have an established offense?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most NFL teams are adopting parts of the spread offense out of necessity and I am assuming Moore is no different and not that far removed from his playing days.

What many people don't consider, because of the formation, it is not a passing offense. Chip Kelly used it to stretch the D and expand the second level so when his QB or RB ran the ball, it was much more wide open. The NFL DC's don't like it because it puts too much pressure on the individual player and makes team D more difficult. Many DC's have gone to Tuscaloosa to visit with the best mind in the business and even he's struggled with it and he has nothing but 5 stars on defense.

If they really do incorporate parts of the spread into the passing game, and I believe they have the WR corps to do that now, the QB has to get rid of the ball quicker because of the pressure on the OL and with a route runner like Cooper and a WR that can get deep like Gallup, that presents a problem for a pass defense.

But this is the natural evolution of NFL ball and if AZ has any success with a spread HC and very mobile QB, we're going to see a lot more of it.
I think it’s worth a shot with our Qb skill set. The Moore Experiment as I’ve labeled it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spreading the field horizontally isn't a bad thing. Whatever helps Dak read defenses correctly and quickly is a good thing. It won't be hard to call some of the same things we do from those spots, in fact it might open up more of the underneath routes. Free safeties might just have to start shading to cooper early in their stance or he will beat them like a drum.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Most NFL teams are adopting parts of the spread offense out of necessity and I am assuming Moore is no different and not that far removed from his playing days.

What many people don't consider, because of the formation, it is not a passing offense. Chip Kelly used it to stretch the D and expand the second level so when his QB or RB ran the ball, it was much more wide open. The NFL DC's don't like it because it puts too much pressure on the individual player and makes team D more difficult. Many DC's have gone to Tuscaloosa to visit with the best mind in the business and even he's struggled with it and he has nothing but 5 stars on defense.

If they really do incorporate parts of the spread into the passing game, and I believe they have the WR corps to do that now, the QB has to get rid of the ball quicker because of the pressure on the OL and with a route runner like Cooper and a WR that can get deep like Gallup, that presents a problem for a pass defense.

But this is the natural evolution of NFL ball and if AZ has any success with a spread HC and very mobile QB, we're going to see a lot more of it.
I'm optimistic that our TEs will improve more, that was a weak link toward the beginning of 2018. I like our WR's, but I'm more concerned with the TEs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Spreading the field horizontally isn't a bad thing. Whatever helps Dak read defenses correctly and quickly is a good thing. It won't be hard to call some of the same things we do from those spots, in fact it might open up more of the underneath routes. Free safeties might just have to start shading to cooper early in their stance or he will beat them like a drum.
I think moving our QB out of the pocket faster has to help.

If we have a QB who doesn’t read defenses quickly and indecisive looking downfield then let’s move him around extending the play with his mobility with better vision of the field.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm optimistic that our TEs will improve more, that was a weak link toward the beginning of 2018. I like our WR's, but I'm more concerned with the TEs.
I am not a fan of this TE corps but in a spread formation, that unusual ability of Witten's to give his QB a target against any defender could be an advantage to Dak. It's 3 yards and a cloud of dust football but that's Witten's game and I don't think he came back to play a minimal role.

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t expect a full spread offense but some spread incorporated would be something nice

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I am not a fan of this TE corps but in a spread formation, that unusual ability of Witten's to give his QB a target against any defender could be an advantage to Dak. It's 3 yards and a cloud of dust football but that's Witten's game and I don't think he came back to play a minimal role.
I think what we'll see are changes in certain situations, not so much primarily changing to a spread.
All I know is I'll snap if I see any of the idiotic motion formations that bring in the WR into the play along with a defender.

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
OH JEESH. This will be interesting if true. Not sure if I would go this route considering our personnel. That's not how the oline is built. They are a powerful mauling oline...not smaller olineman that pull. Connor Williams may be the only guy that would do well in this scheme. Like the idea , but not sure we have the right players for it.

I absolutely agree with the personnel part, but the other offense flat out did not work.. so why not right?