Kliff Kingsbury should be new OC

Bluefin

Reaction score
K.D. Drummond | Kliff Kingsbury should maybe be on fast track from Lubbock to Dallas

Cowboys Wire: What went wrong with Kingsbury in the big chair at Texas Tech? What were the major failings that led to his dismissal Saturday?

Jonah Tuls: I think the biggest thing here is a misjudgment of expectations. Many donors expected Kingsbury to bring Tech back to the success they had with Mike Leach. That was never going to be the case. As a result, I think donors pressured (athletic director) Kirby Hocutt to make a move. In fact, they would’ve (likely) made this move last year if Tech didn’t reach a bowl.

Cowboys Wire: So what does Kingsbury bring to the table? In general what are considered his redeeming qualities as an offensive mind?

Tuls: It’s because he has a proven track record of developing quarterbacks. Also, he is a really good playcaller. With the way the NFL is going, I think more and more teams will be receptive to someone like Kingsbury as an offensive coordinator. Not all great playcallers are great head coaches, and that was the case here. He will have no problem garnering interest around the NFL, and that’s where I think his next spot is.

Think about it. He started a freshman walk-on quarterback. Who was it? Baker Mayfield. Then people trashed Texas Tech for letting him transfer to OU. You know why he couldn’t earn the starting job his second season? Patrick Mahomes. Also in that quarterback room was Davis Webb. Kingsbury knows how to develop quarterbacks, and I think he will fit right in as an OC or passing game coordinator in the NFL.

CW: Can you tell us more about what his strengths are as a playcaller? What makes him and something that may give NFL defensive coordinators nightmares?

Tuls: It may sound simple, but Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players’ strengths. As some fans are aware, a lot of NFL playcallers are awful at this. The scheme was the same of course, but he called plays completely different when he had Mahomes and Mayfield than when he coached Shimonek and Bowman. He is truly a quarterback/offensive mastermind on the level of a Matt LaFleur or John DeFilippo, and I think he will be one of the biggest bargains for an NFL team this offseason.

He is also excellent at identifying and exposing weaknesses in defensive personnel. If you watch enough Texas Tech tape, you’d find out he loves sticking his biggest receivers in the slot (Wesley, Cantrell, Amaro) to gain a mismatch, whether it’s on a slot fade or a slant across the middle where the box out the smaller defender. He is also smart with how he utilizes motion. A lot of playcallers use motion just to use motion, if that makes sense. But going back to exposing personnel weaknesses, he uses motion to create mismatches.

CW: If he were to join Dallas as a replacement for Scott Linehan, what differences would Cowboys fans see? How would he impact Dak Prescott’s game?

Tuls: For starters, Dallas fans would see a lot more creativity and motion in the offense. Whether that means using Ezekiel Elliott more as a receiver or moving Amari Cooper back and forth from the outside to the slot, I think it will create a lot more headaches for defenses. Kingsbury would be an excellent hire for Prescott’s development.

If anyone can maximize Dak’s ability as a dual-threat weapon, it’s Kliff Kingsbury. Not only would he incorporate Dak more into the run game, but I think he would significantly upgrade this team’s play action offense.

I don’t think the scheme will change much. I just think you’ll see Kingsbury take advantage of personnel mismatches by using motion and creative sets that you simply don’t see with Linehan.

CW: Finally- some detractors might have issues with how Kingsbury used his running backs at Tech. Would this be an issue with Dallas?

Tuls: I doubt it. Like I said earlier, I think Kliff is really good at knowing what his personnel’s strengths and weaknesses are. You saw it with Mahomes and Mayfield. I think he would use Dak in a similar way to those two as a dual-threat and a ton of play action. I still think Elliott will receive 20-plus touches a game, if not more because of how this offense is built. But it could be 15 carries and five catches instead of just 20-25 carries. Is that so much a bad thing? Especially with the lifespan of a running back, I think it would be a good balance.

Mannix

Reaction score
Heard it on The Ticket this morning...not sure how plugged in the weekend guy was who mentioned it. Of course, he could have heard it from someone at the station who really is plugged in. Much as I'd love it, I, not sure Dak is a good fit for it either...but it can't be any worse than the pedestrian offense we have now. OMG, can you just imagine how threatened The Clapping Carrot would feel if this happened....Cliff would have to pay close attention to the break linings on his car.

kskboys

Reaction score
Heard it on The Ticket this morning...not sure how plugged in the weekend guy was who mentioned it. Of course, he could have heard it from someone at the station who really is plugged in. Much as I'd love it, I, not sure Dak is a good fit for it either...but it can't be any worse than the pedestrian offense we have now.
"Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players' strengths". If this is accurate, then he'd be welcome w/ open arms.

Have people really not noticed that Linehan tried to fit Dak into what he wanted instead of calling schemes and plays to fit Dak?

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't understand the fascination with Lincoln Riley. He has no NFL experience. There have been many "college only" coaches that have failed miserably once they get thrust into the NFL. He barely has any head coaching experience.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't understand the fascination with Lincoln Riley. He has no NFL experience. There have been many "college only" coaches that have failed miserably once they get thrust into the NFL. He barely has any head coaching experience.
who was mcvay before LA?

kskboys

Reaction score
It's people wanting anyone but JG, and someone has to take a chance on a college coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
K.D. Drummond | Kliff Kingsbury should maybe be on fast track from Lubbock to Dallas

Cowboys Wire: What went wrong with Kingsbury in the big chair at Texas Tech? What were the major failings that led to his dismissal Saturday?

Jonah Tuls: I think the biggest thing here is a misjudgment of expectations. Many donors expected Kingsbury to bring Tech back to the success they had with Mike Leach. That was never going to be the case. As a result, I think donors pressured (athletic director) Kirby Hocutt to make a move. In fact, they would’ve (likely) made this move last year if Tech didn’t reach a bowl.

Cowboys Wire: So what does Kingsbury bring to the table? In general what are considered his redeeming qualities as an offensive mind?

Tuls: It’s because he has a proven track record of developing quarterbacks. Also, he is a really good playcaller. With the way the NFL is going, I think more and more teams will be receptive to someone like Kingsbury as an offensive coordinator. Not all great playcallers are great head coaches, and that was the case here. He will have no problem garnering interest around the NFL, and that’s where I think his next spot is.

Think about it. He started a freshman walk-on quarterback. Who was it? Baker Mayfield. Then people trashed Texas Tech for letting him transfer to OU. You know why he couldn’t earn the starting job his second season? Patrick Mahomes. Also in that quarterback room was Davis Webb. Kingsbury knows how to develop quarterbacks, and I think he will fit right in as an OC or passing game coordinator in the NFL.

CW: Can you tell us more about what his strengths are as a playcaller? What makes him and something that may give NFL defensive coordinators nightmares?

Tuls: It may sound simple, but Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players’ strengths. As some fans are aware, a lot of NFL playcallers are awful at this. The scheme was the same of course, but he called plays completely different when he had Mahomes and Mayfield than when he coached Shimonek and Bowman. He is truly a quarterback/offensive mastermind on the level of a Matt LaFleur or John DeFilippo, and I think he will be one of the biggest bargains for an NFL team this offseason.

He is also excellent at identifying and exposing weaknesses in defensive personnel. If you watch enough Texas Tech tape, you’d find out he loves sticking his biggest receivers in the slot (Wesley, Cantrell, Amaro) to gain a mismatch, whether it’s on a slot fade or a slant across the middle where the box out the smaller defender. He is also smart with how he utilizes motion. A lot of playcallers use motion just to use motion, if that makes sense. But going back to exposing personnel weaknesses, he uses motion to create mismatches.

CW: If he were to join Dallas as a replacement for Scott Linehan, what differences would Cowboys fans see? How would he impact Dak Prescott’s game?

Tuls: For starters, Dallas fans would see a lot more creativity and motion in the offense. Whether that means using Ezekiel Elliott more as a receiver or moving Amari Cooper back and forth from the outside to the slot, I think it will create a lot more headaches for defenses. Kingsbury would be an excellent hire for Prescott’s development.

If anyone can maximize Dak’s ability as a dual-threat weapon, it’s Kliff Kingsbury. Not only would he incorporate Dak more into the run game, but I think he would significantly upgrade this team’s play action offense.

I don’t think the scheme will change much. I just think you’ll see Kingsbury take advantage of personnel mismatches by using motion and creative sets that you simply don’t see with Linehan.

CW: Finally- some detractors might have issues with how Kingsbury used his running backs at Tech. Would this be an issue with Dallas?

Tuls: I doubt it. Like I said earlier, I think Kliff is really good at knowing what his personnel’s strengths and weaknesses are. You saw it with Mahomes and Mayfield. I think he would use Dak in a similar way to those two as a dual-threat and a ton of play action. I still think Elliott will receive 20-plus touches a game, if not more because of how this offense is built. But it could be 15 carries and five catches instead of just 20-25 carries. Is that so much a bad thing? Especially with the lifespan of a running back, I think it would be a good balance.

Good read.....but I can't imagine Jerry getting him here w/o signing Garrett to an extension. I suppose he could offer multiple guaranteed years. That way if he wanna fire Garrett after 2019, this guy takes over.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Kingsbury have any O-Coordinator experience? If so, where and what is his success rate/record running what style of offense?
Kingsbury is one of the best offensive minds in college FB. He’s been OC at Texas AM and of last 6 years, Head Coach at Texas Tech. His Tech teams have consistently had top 5 offenses in nation but their defense hasn’t stopped anyone.

Kingsbury is known as a “QB whisperer”. He has made studs out of two and three star recruits. Here is a list of the guys he’s coached at QB now playing or have played in pros
-Jonny Manziel at AM in his Heisman year
-Baker Mayfield his freshman yr at Tech
-Pat Mahomes- Chiefs stud he coached at Tech
-Davis Webb- drafted in 3rd by giants- now with jets- former Tech Star
-Nic Shimonek- made the Chargers practice squad this year- former Tech QBs
-Case Keenum- coached him while QB coach at Univ of Houston

Kingsbury is a great offensive mind. Would probably make a better OC than head coach. And his coaching tree includes playing for the great Mike Leach, played for Belechick when he was a backup QB to Tom Brady while with Pats in 2003-05, and also coached under former Aggie HC Kevin Sumlin.

Kliff Kingsbury would make an excellent NFL OC in my opinion. However, I don’t know if Garrett would like him. He’s very creative, lol.

Nexx

Reaction score
i say bring him in now as the "passing game coordinator" aka "your time is almost done linehan"

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
An assistant coach in the NFL working his way up the ranks. He had no head coaching experience, but he was plenty familiar with the NFL. Riley has no NFL coaching experience.

There’s such a crossover now with the spread that I’m not sure it matters as much anymore.

As I’ve said before, after Andy Reid drafted Mahomes, he openly admitted to going back and watching college spread offenses…he specifically mentioned Kliffs offense.

So, i think Riley will be successful as a NFL head coach, and given that I think Garrett will remain, I HOPE the Cowboys pursue KK as OC.

scottsp

Reaction score
While the Joneses likely continue their association with Garrett, they are certainly not married to Linehan. Riley is currently a head coach with a job and is very much in demand. Kingsbury, on the other hand, is a free agent who has a history of developing QBs and comes off as an offensive mind that aligns with these new-age offenses.

Unlike Riley, I don't believe he's fast-tracking to an NFL head coaches seat, but an OC I could definitely see, and fairly soon. Was I the biggest fan of Tech's Air Raid pinball offense, defense-be-damned approach? Of course, I would prefer some semblance of defensive presence. That being said, you try recruiting the talent to Lubbock that has any chance of slowing down Big XII passing attacks. Their best chance at being competitive was to try to light up scoreboards using that system.

And yeah, there was a time college coaches did not translate as well to the professional level. These days NFL clubs are taking (and running with) offensive concepts from the college game.

As stated by others before, this may not be for the Cowboys, but this guy will be on an NFL staff very soon. Hell, he may have already have something in place.

erod

Reaction score
No, no, no, no, no.

Kingsbury offense would not work in the NFL. It's a simple college offense that works against inferior defensive players.

Riley's offense mixes in traditional power NFL concepts with college spread formations. Much like the Rams.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Do it ASAP! I think he'd be even better in the NFL than college. He will learn and develop his offense to fit the NFL. People go crazy for Lincoln Riley and what he did with Mayfield. Well Kingsbury coached Manziel during his Heisman season and Mahomes as well.

Talent level between what Kingsbury had and what Riley inherited at OU is completely different. Maybe Kingsbury would have had similar success in his career with the tools that Riley has at OU.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...liff-kingsbury-fired-texas-tech-losing-season
Kliff Kingsbury fired after third straight losing season
1:35 PM ET
  • i

Jake TrotterESPN Staff Writer

Texas Tech has fired coach Kliff Kingsbury after the Red Raiders finished with a third consecutive losing season, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt has called a news conference for 3 p.m. ET Sunday.

Kingsbury had a 35-40 record over six years at Texas Tech, closing this season with a 35-24 loss to Baylor on Saturday that kept the Red Raiders from reaching bowl eligibility. Kingsbury had two years left on his contract with a $4.2 million buyout