Kliff Kingsbury should be new OC

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Did any of you guys spouting about Kilff's offense or his "concepts" actually watch every game he coached (like I did)? Or, are you just parroting things you've heard or just looking at, or inventing, stats? 99.5% passing?!?! Are you freaking kidding me?

Yes, Kliff is a disciple and former player in Leach's Air Raid offense, but he also valued the run.

Just a simple look at 2018 Tech stats will show you that he ran 42% of the time, and that's WITH a stud freshman QB, Bowman, (until he got hurt) and a likely NFL stud at WR in Antoine Wesely (IMO, he's better than Crabtree). Heck IMO, Kliff should've passed more!

More than half of the fans on this site complain about Dak, yet Kliff made studs out of nearly every QB he had, and he was highly influential in the development of Mayfield, Manziel, and Mahomes. Heck, somehow he turned Davis Webb into a third-round pick (he wasn't that good) and Nic Shimonek into an NFL practice squad QB (he was even worse). If anyone could get Dak to the next level, it would be Kingsbury.

Unlike Linehan and Garrett, Kingsbury looks at the talent he has and molds his gameplans to best compliment that talent. He would look at the Cowboys OL/Zeke and run wild (literally). My goodness, he even has a RB, DeAndre Washington, in the NFL (a spread RB in the NFL?). He'd love having a stud RB to set up his passing game.

Don't get confused about Tech's awful record in Kliff's tenure. He had a terrible (like, historically bad) defense the entire time, special teams were below average, penalties were debilitating and defensive recruiting was poor. His offense, however, was always stout, no matter who was at QB.

Kliff certainly has his warts (IMO, he's not a HC), but offensive success and developing offensive talent are not the issue. With Dallas, he wouldn't have to out-recruit UT or OU or worry about a top-10 defense, so he would just have to call a great offense. And, THAT he would do.

Don't believe me? Just ask Andy Reid or Pat Mahomes.

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Just a simple look at 2018 Tech stats will show you that he ran 42% of the time, and that's WITH a stud freshman QB, Bowman, (until he got hurt) and a likely NFL stud at WR in Antoine Wesely (IMO, he's better than Crabtree). Heck IMO, Kliff should've passed more!

Don't believe me? Just ask Andy Reid or Pat Mahomes.

Seems like an empty number to me. His teams ranked 93rd or lower in rushing attempts per game every season.

I don't believe you. KC had a good offense last season with Alex Smith. They tweaked it a little for Mahomes to take advantage of his stronger arm and other skills. They didn't make wholesale changes.

Tech didn't have great offenses. They played in a very poor defensive conference. Those teams can't stop average offenses. It is ridiculous just how bad the entire conference is at playing defense and has been that way for several years now.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Seems like an empty number to me. His teams ranked 93rd or lower in rushing attempts per game every season.

I don't believe you. KC had a good offense last season with Alex Smith. They tweaked it a little for Mahomes to take advantage of his stronger arm and other skills. They didn't make wholesale changes.

Tech didn't have great offenses. They played in a very poor defensive conference. Those teams can't stop average offenses. It is ridiculous just how bad the entire conference is at playing defense and has been that way for several years now.

I don't care.

HanD

Reaction score

more relevant for me is how he did as OC in the 3 years before he became HC at TT. i admittedly didn't watch but he won OC of the year and broke a ton of records at UH and TAMU. once he became HC he had other duties like recruiting and overseeing the whole team.

HanD

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ury-has-received-2-firm-offers-from-nfl-teams

Report: Kliff Kingsbury Has Received 2 'Firm Offers' from NFL Teams

On Tuesday, Gil Brandt of NFL.com reported Kingsbury's phone has been "ringing off the hook" because his "superb knowledge of [fast-paced, college-style offenses] is in high demand" among pro organizations.

https://thespun.com/college-football/kliff-kingsbury-usc-job-offers-update

Kingsbury has also been linked to the USC offensive coordinator position, which opened up today with Tee Martin’s firing.

According to one ESPN insider, though, there’s nothing happening there – yet, anyway.

“Kliff Kingsbury has not interviewed for the USC offensive coordinator job yet. That could change after today but nothing has happened yet and despite speculation on Twitter, he is not on campus,” Arash Markazi reports.

Kingsbury might end up having his pick of several notable coordinator positions, both at the college ranks and in the NFL.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
I’d love to see KK here as OC. Redball isn’t going anywhere and a new OC like KK if allowed to run his own offense could be what is needed. When you have NFL coaches watching Tech games to use his ideas to implement into their offenses it should be a no brainer

ShiningStar

Reaction score
we ll just let this lie right here, after its loud thump as it hit the planet.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
I read on this site that Kingsbury is the one who revolutionized TTU offense and developed Mahomes. Shouldnt we bring him in for a look and develop Dak or whoever we get next.

With our OL, scheme, Zeke, he can be successful and can market himself as next hot coach as Sean McVay.

Reaction score
I don't mind having Kingsbury brought in. Guys around here are poo-pooing him, but he's in pretty high demand, as Gil Brant's tweet showed. So yeah, bring him in.

But keep Garrett away from him and let him do his thing.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
If we dont get him, someone in NFC(E) will get him and we have to face his offense. Rather have him on our side than play his explosive offense.