Ko Simpson or Davin Joseph?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
No dumb FS's. We can get a FS in the third that will be a good value. The pickings on OL will be much worse IMO. Noone knows where Joseph will fall. If he was there at 49 he would be a great pick- potential starter at LG and if not could replace Rivera after this year. Also has experience at tackle. Joseph.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think Joseph will be gone by #49.

I wish I had the "inside" knowledge to know if the Cowboy brain trust is viewing Coleman as the "defacto" starter this year?

If not then I think a 2nd FS is very possible. Maybe even necessary. If Coleman is looked upon as the starter then I think we could be looking at a day two safety.

The problem I have with taking a guard with the second pick is that he probably won't play this year. I'm guessing that either Gurode or Peterman will be first off the bench.

So if that's the case why pick a guard in the second round?

Tough choices.

To me, unless it's Huff, I don't really see why you would take a FS in the 2nd round. To many good prospects out there IMO. Having said that, Joseph (IMO) is a valid 1st round talent. He got bounced a lot this year but he's a better prospect, IMO, then is Gean-Gilles. I think that he could possibly be stating by the end of his rookie year or perhaps the next. I believe we are in worse shape at Guard then we are at any other position on the team. JMO of course.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
No dumb FS's. We can get a FS in the third that will be a good value. The pickings on OL will be much worse IMO. Noone knows where Joseph will fall. If he was there at 49 he would be a great pick- potential starter at LG and if not could replace Rivera after this year. Also has experience at tackle. Joseph.

I like Simpson's physical talent, but you need more than that to make it in the NFL. I'd take a Smith, Watkins, or Harper in the 3rd or even later. Joseph will play THIS year for whatever team he goes to.

JPM

Reaction score
I'd rather have Joseph, but I don't think he will be there. That said, I would be happy with Simpson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really want INTELLIGENT players on the Cowboys. Simpson does not qualify.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I really want INTELLIGENT players on the Cowboys. Simpson does not qualify.

Our kicker and WR are not too bright so I don't think intelligents is playing a part on who comes to Dallas. :lmao2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Joseph is the better player (by far) and guard is a bigger need. I just don't get the fascination with Ko Simpson. Aside from the fact that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and doesn't play a premium position, he's not nearly the spectacular athlete people are making him out to be. In a draft loaded with safeties, I wouldn't touch Simpson until Day 2.

and guard IS a "premium" position?

I'm sure you'd be happy to touch Simpson on day two, the problem is he wouldnt be there.

you are assuming Joseph is better than what we have here, and he may be...but Parcells aint benching Rivera for a rookie and they didnt target and sign Kosier for what they gave him to see him ride the pine...interior OL's drafted early are busting at high rate, we have two such cases on this roster right now...they were both rated higher or similar to what Joseph is, he is no sure thing either

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I Joseph will play THIS year for whatever team he goes to.

you know this how exactly?

I'll bet you right now that if he DID end up here that unless somebody got hurt, he'd never start a game here...Parcells aint benching Rivera and Kosier got too much money to sit...Joseph is probably better thasn either of them, but Parcells wouldnt play him

and thats why we wont be drafting an interior OL in the first two rounds

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
and guard IS a "premium" position?

I'm sure you'd be happy to touch Simpson on day two, the problem is he wouldnt be there.

you are assuming Joseph is better than what we have here, and he may be...but Parcells aint benching Rivera for a rookie and they didnt target and sign Kosier for what they gave him to see him ride the pine...interior OL's drafted early are busting at high rate, we have two such cases on this roster right now...they were both rated higher or similar to what Joseph is, he is no sure thing either

David

Who will be rated higher on any given draft board? The answer is probably Joseph, and yes, he will be better then anything we have here. I don't know if it's just a situation of not really watching Joseph play to much but I'm here to tell you David, this kid is going to be much better in a years time then anything we currently have at Guard IMO. I'm as big a horns fan as there is on this board so right away, you know I don't like having to say good things about a Sooner :laugh2: but it's true. This player is extremely good. He can play multiple positions, but really, he's the prototypical Guard. He's extremely strong, he's got excellent size for the position, he's got excellent explosion, he's quick and fast. He can pull, he can run block, pass block and block in space as good or better then anybody at the position, in this draft. He's smart, he's as hard a worker as you'll find, he's willing to do anything to help his team and he plays pissed off all the time. I'm sorry but Joseph should be a 1st round pick. If he can be obtained in the second, we should do it. He's an excellent football player.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Who will be rated higher on any given draft board? The answer is probably Joseph, and yes, he will be better then anything we have here. I don't know if it's just a situation of not really watching Joseph play to much but I'm here to tell you David, this kid is going to be much better in a years time then anything we currently have at Guard IMO. I'm as big a horns fan as there is on this board so right away, you know I don't like having to say good things about a Sooner :laugh2: but it's true. This player is extremely good. He can play multiple positions, but really, he's the prototypical Guard. He's extremely strong, he's got excellent size for the position, he's got excellent explosion, he's quick and fast. He can pull, he can run block, pass block and block in space as good or better then anybody at the position, in this draft. He's smart, he's as hard a worker as you'll find, he's willing to do anything to help his team and he plays pissed off all the time. I'm sorry but Joseph should be a 1st round pick. If he can be obtained in the second, we should do it. He's an excellent football player.

ABQ you dont have to sell me on the guy, I do think he's a good player...I even believe he's better than whats here...

the problem is Parcells IMO wont start him because of the deals he gave Rivera and Kosier...benching them would be admitting he made mistakes, and we know he doesnt do that sort of thing (admit he made mistakes)

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
ABQ you dont have to sell me on the guy, I do think he's a good player...I even believe he's better than whats here...

the problem is Parcells IMO wont start him because of the deals he gave Rivera and Kosier...benching them would be admitting he made mistakes, and we know he doesnt do that sort of thing (admit he made mistakes)

David

I agree with you on the fact that BP doesn't usually like to start rookies but he has done it on occasion. Last year, he did it, much to everybodies dismay. Joseph is a 10 cornerstone player and I think he will show that he's got a bit of wolf inside of him, as BP likes to say. Kosier really didnt' sign a big deal with us, per say. Kosier signed a 5 year, 15 million Dollar deal, of which 5 million was a Signing bonus. Basically, 2 million a year and I think that this is really a two year deal. Remember also that Kosier can play either Guard or Tackle. I can see him being a valuable guy to have on the roster even if he's not starting. Rivera's deal is a bit more painful. I think he signe something likea 5 year, 20 Million dollar deal with 9 as a signing bonus. I think that was spread out over 3 years. Basically, a 3 year deal, of which, he's in his 2nd year. To me, this is a deal we could easily get out of as well. To me, a guy like Joseph might make a lot of sense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
I wish I had the "inside" knowledge to know if the Cowboy brain trust is viewing Coleman as the "defacto" starter this year?
I can give you the answer to that question Saturday after the last pick is made. :D

ghst187

Reaction score
Joseph is a better OL than Ko is a FS. There are plenty of FSs that will be available in the third. I'd prefer Pat Watkins to Ko anyway.
Joseph can also play some T. Joseph is the better value.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
I say Ko. He has rare talent and I think the talent at OG in round 3 would be not as big a dropoff.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Very hard decision but that kind of talant at OG is hard to find. Not knocking KO as a football player I'd be very hppy to grab him with that pick but OLINE is really our biggest weakness, not any position on Defense.

NickZepp

Reaction score
The thing about Joseph is he hasn't played guard since he was a junior. So there may be a bit of relearning there. I would always love to see a former Sooner play for Dallas though.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Joseph will play THIS year for whatever team he goes to.

Robert Gallery had a hard time finding the field his rookie year, are you then saying that Joseph is a better prospect than Gallery was? I hope not, Joseph would be a depth pick, take Simpson, he'll start

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
I say Ko. He has rare talent and I think the talent at OG in round 3 would be not as big a dropoff.

Fred Matua? Tusi Lutui? I'd say you're right

Smith22

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Joseph is the better player (by far) and guard is a bigger need. I just don't get the fascination with Ko Simpson. Aside from the fact that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and doesn't play a premium position, he's not nearly the spectacular athlete people are making him out to be. In a draft loaded with safeties, I wouldn't touch Simpson until Day 2.

Agree with most of what you said Rosh. Like a poster said earlier, there should be some talented safeties still on the board come round 3, so I'm looking for value here at OG or NT hopefully, possibly RT depending how things fall.