Ko Simpson or Davin Joseph?

garyv

Reaction score
Well between these two Joseph maybe the better talent however I'm going with more of a needed area, so my selection would be Ko Simpson. I read an article that mentioned Pat Kirwin stating if the BOyz drafted Manny Lawson and Pat Watkins (Safety) he would pick the Boyz in the bog bowl.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
And washed up and stiff CB's convert to FS as a last resort to lengthen their careers when they can't cut the mustard at CB.

Again, just show me a free safety in this league that has gotten half of the $16 million in signing bonus that Hutchinson got. This year's top FS, Chavous, got $4 . Last year's top FS, Dwight Smith, got $3.5. Barely even a quarter of what Hutchinson got.

Larry Allen, Hutchinson, Randy Thomas all earned significantly more in guaranteed money than any free safety has gotten in the last 5 years. Supply and demand doesn't lie.

Hutchinson got a big money deal because he's an All-Pro, not because of the position he plays, and explain why some teams would rather draft an OT and slide him inside to OG...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Logan Mankis was a first round pick last year.

Mankins was drafted 32nd, and the reason being because he is able to play OT, same deal for Vernon Carey

ABQCOWBOY said:
That's 20 years of drafts on Guards. I don't think that history supports the fact that Guards are not considered important or that Guards are not drafted high.

recent history shows that some teams would rather slide an OT inside to OG because they tend to be more athletic, Jermaine Mayberry was an OT before the Eagles moved him to OG, sorry, OG is not a premium position, and Norm stated that there could be a run on Ss in the 2nd round, FS is taking on greater importance in the league, evidenced by many feeling that Corey CHavous was overpaid in FA

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Mankins was drafted 32nd, and the reason being because he is able to play OT, same deal for Vernon Carey

recent history shows that some teams would rather slide an OT inside to OG because they tend to be more athletic, Jermaine Mayberry was an OT before the Eagles moved him to OG, sorry, OG is not a premium position, and Norm stated that there could be a run on Ss in the 2nd round, FS is taking on greater importance in the league, evidenced by many feeling that Corey CHavous was overpaid in FA

The players I listed were all drafted as Guards coming out of College. It is immaterial wheather they can play Tackle and Guard or just Guard. You can say it is not relivant but the facts do not support your position. Teams are drafting Guards at the top of the draft and this will continue. Really no arguing this poing.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

You do know Joseph has experience at tackle, right?

Guard is not generally a 1st round position but then again neither is FS. In fact it's dead last of all the defensive positions in terms of relative importance, salary structure and average draft position. I would be willing to wager the average NFL guard makes more money than the average FS and I doubt it's that close. But that's not even the real issue here. It's about value. There are four guards that can also play some tackle we may consider in the second round. IMO Joseph would be our top choice because by all reports he's the most "NFL ready".

As far as FS goes I think we wouldn't mind drafting a guy with experience at CB and move him to FS. The third round may have at least one of the following around at 49- Cedric Griffin, Danieale Manning or Alllen Zemaitis. If so you get a twofer- a guy that could excel at the pro level at FS but also capable of filling in at CB if needed. The name of the game is roster flexibility. If we were going to draft a true FS the guy I like is Pat Watkins- he has all the physical tools you could ask for and is considered very coachable. Either way the 3rd is where I would look DB. One other dark horse- if we chose to move Jacques Reeves to FS and draft a CB another name that could last until close to our pick in the 3rd is David Pittman- a real sleeper.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Teams are drafting Guards at the top of the draft and this will continue. Really no arguing this poing.

are you saying OG is a premium position?

I'll bet you anything we won't be taking a OG in the 2nd round, anything

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
You do know Joseph has experience at tackle, right?

you're right, I forgot about that, but like you said, it's about value, and a better value could be had selecting an OG in the 3rd round, than Joseph in the 2nd, esp. if Norm is correct about there might being a run on Ss in the 2nd round, a few, good OG prospects will be available in the 3rd round

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
are you saying OG is a premium position?

I'll bet you anything we won't be taking a OG in the 2nd round, anything

No, I'm saying it's more of a premium then FS is. It's all there in the numbers. Generally speaking, the more important the position, the higher salared the players.

Not a lot of mystery to it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you're right, I forgot about that, but like you said, it's about value, and a better value could be had selecting an OG in the 3rd round, than Joseph in the 2nd, esp. if Norm is correct about there might being a run on Ss in the 2nd round, a few, good OG prospects will be available in the 3rd round

This question will likely be answered shortly. I will be very surprised if Joseph is not rated higher the Simpson is. I will be shocked in fact. I guess we will see.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Joseph. To me, he would be the best of the two. Joseph really should be a first round pick IMO. He may just be the best Guard prospect coming out. I like Joseph ALOT!

I feel the other way, i watched him play alot and though he has great physical tools and is built like a beast, he just seems to play really sloppily so i would have to go with KO Simpson here.

Plus i would love to have knock out in our backfield

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Not a lot of mystery to it.

again, what's with the personal digs? every time you differ in opinion with someone, you have to go and add something at the end, what's up with that? anyways, look at how many Ss may go in the 1st 2 rounds this Saturday, and then compare that to the OGs that may go in the 1st 2 rounds

S

Michael Huff
Jason Allen
Donte Whitner
Daniel Bullocks
Ko Simpson
Darnell Bing

OG

Max Jean Gilles
Davin Joseph

the trend nowadays is trying to find a FS

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
This question will likely be answered shortly. I will be very surprised if Joseph is not rated higher the Simpson is. I will be shocked in fact. I guess we will see.

noone will really know who ranked higher, I doubt you or anyone on here has any insight into how teams ranked players