Kony Ealy

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I'm starting to think this guy has a very real shot at being our draft pick at 16 or in a trade down scenario but I can't seem to see why he warrants such a high pick based on the videos, games and reports I've seen. He doesn't seem to have much of a burst off the edge. There are people who like him and think he can be a good nfl pass rusher, anyone have any thoughts on him? Maybe I'm just not watching the right stuff.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are you starting to see him as an option for us if you also don't think he's worth the pick? Is the feeling based on a rumor or something?

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Why are you starting to see him as an option for us if you also don't think he's worth the pick? Is the feeling based on a rumor or something?

No rumors really, I've just been seeing him linked to Dallas(local guys, mocks...etc) and he was one of the national visits. He's also one of the few supposedly top pass rushers in the draft and I think they may want to focus on replacing him at DE since their best DE right now is Selvie, more than they want to get a 1T or Safety or G/T. It's not my preference but its just a personal feeling I've been getting lately.

I've been looking around the forum for some info about him, trying to get a feel and trying to find some conversations about him so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought.

tm1119

Reaction score
I also think hes better than most will give him credit for. He played a lot of 3 tech and 2 gap DE in college which didn't exactly highlight him as a pass rusher. He does have prototypical size and length and is a good fluid athlete.

However, I agree that his burst off of the snap is only average and wouldn't take him at 16. I think he can be a pretty good SDE and get a team like 6-8 sacks a year, but that's not we, or any team really, should be looking for at 16 overall.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I also think hes better than most will give him credit for. He played a lot of 3 tech and 2 gap DE in college which didn't exactly highlight him as a pass rusher. He does have prototypical size and length and is a good fluid athlete.

That was another reason I thought Dallas would be interested, the fact that he can also play some 3T which could be valuable to them if Melton struggles in some fashion, health or otherwise.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Ealy has the prototypical size plus weight for a DE in the 4/3, i.e. Greg Ellis...6.4 ht 273lbs and all the work out numbers to be a productive and safe pick @ 16....not a sexy pick but fills a huge need as DE is pretty void for Dallas right now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

However, I agree that his burst off of the snap is only average and wouldn't take him at 16. I think he can be a pretty good SDE and get a team like 6-8 sacks a year, but that's not we, or any team really, should be looking for at 16 overall.

Yes, there are many SDE types in this draft but not many WDE types. Also, they players currently on the roster are all better as SDEs than WDEs, IMO.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He really does not excite me much. I think they like him as a fall back option and see him playing some at DE but also rotating a little as a three tech on occasion. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. To me he is one of those meh players that probably is picked if the other better players are taken. But maybe they see more in him than most of us and maybe they feel this draft has a small amount of DEs that can contribute early on and they will be taken pretty fast due the the limited number so they take him higher than we think he is worth.

Meh.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he had a very good final 2 years in the best division in college ball. not sure what else he could have done
His bookend teammate ate DE had a better year on the same team in the same conference. Easy just fits the physical mold more to most NFL teams. I think they also have a much higher ceiling for him.

tm1119

Reaction score
His bookend teammate ate DE had a better year on the same team in the same conference. Easy just fits the physical mold more to most NFL teams. I think they also have a much higher ceiling for him.

They played completely different positions. If Ealy would have played Sam's position where he was more or less a pure rushman Im pretty sure Ealy would have had just as good stats.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They played completely different positions. If Ealy would have played Sam's position where he was more or less a pure rushman Im pretty sure Ealy would have had just as good stats.

Guess I should have put /sarcasm off.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would hate the pick. Not at 16. I don't know if he'd be my BPA at 36. It would feel much more like a need selection to me.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I'm starting to think this guy has a very real shot at being our draft pick at 16 or in a trade down scenario but I can't seem to see why he warrants such a high pick based on the videos, games and reports I've seen. He doesn't seem to have much of a burst off the edge. There are people who like him and think he can be a good nfl pass rusher, anyone have any thoughts on him? Maybe I'm just not watching the right stuff.

Just read on BTB that apparently McClay LOVES him and that they think Marinelli could "fix" his issues. To me, he is a more polished version of Ziggy Ansah - no huge college production, yet something about him screams "it" and only the best scouts and coaches will get him to reach his potential. To me, he is the biggest wildcard in the draft.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Just read on BTB that apparently McClay LOVES him and that they think Marinelli could "fix" his issues. To me, he is a more polished version of Ziggy Ansah - no huge college production, yet something about him screams "it" and only the best scouts and coaches will get him to reach his potential. To me, he is the biggest wildcard in the draft.

intersting.I think Marinelli will like him too.He might be a fall back option if we cant trade down from 16.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
intersting.I think Marinelli will like him too.He might be a fall back option if we cant trade down from 16.

My fear is he is right there for us, we pass, and he ends up being a more athletic Michael Bennett and gets 8-10 sacks a year and stops the run. Will he ever make folks forget DWare - of course not. He's not that guy. But, I think he's going to be really good for some strange reason.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

He is one of those guys who just needs time in a Pro strength/conditioning program to excel. Might take a couple of years to see him break 8+ sacks. Not ideal for 16 but we need the bodies...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He is one of those guys who just needs time in a Pro strength/conditioning program to excel. Might take a couple of years to see him break 8+ sacks. Not ideal for 16 but we need the bodies...

A good drafting team should be able to find that guy in the 3rd round. In the first they should be looking for that edge guy that can get you over 10.