Kony Ealy

Common Sense

Reaction score
A good drafting team should be able to find that guy in the 3rd round. In the first they should be looking for that edge guy that can get you over 10.

Yeah, but how often do even first round rookies come in and produce double digit sacks? Usually you're happy for them to produce like George Selvie.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Kony Ealy would be a terrible pick. he is not that good a player. i don't care what W. Clay says. this idea that W. Clay is the great when it comes to scouting. he's been here 10 years. so he has been part of this mess. do not draft Kony Ealy.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Outside of Clowney no pick is projected for over 10 Sacks in this Draft. Ealy as good value @16 for the Dallas Cowboys because he starts Day 1.

DEs are lean in this Draft, hoping Dallas targets the 2nd Round prospects in Tuitt, Critchton and Hageman they look like real Value Picks @47 for this squad ...one should still be on the Draft Board with the 2nd.

Okay Mosley and Martin ahead of Ealy .... but wouldn't complain about a need pick at the DE position.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
You don't draft a DE with the 16th pick just because you need one. if the guy is not good enough you move on. you don't reach.that's what has gotten them in trouble in the past. Kony Ealy is not worth the 16 pick.draft him and you may have another K. Pitman on your hands.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Some have said 2nd round for Kony but that isn't happening with him, Ealy is long gone in the 1st at least by the early 20s and latest by the mid 20s. So if Ealy is a Reach @ 16 it's not much of one especially considering the condition of the Cowboys DL.....that being said if three or four QBs go early as expected there should be top 10 Value @ 16 with the likes of Lewan, Mosley and Donald.

Tex

Reaction score
His career will be similar to Marcus Spears. OK but nothing special. Pass on this one puhleese. I dont even want him in a trade down in the first.

starfrombirth

Reaction score

cmoney23

Reaction score
I'm a huge Kony Ealy fan as you can see by my Mock below.

Height-Weight-Speed
Prototypical frame with good bulk and continues to improve muscle mass. Weighed 207 pounds when arrived at Missouri. Displays good top-end speed for size.
Durability
Appeared in every game over the past three seasons and hasn't sustained any serious injuries to the best of our knowledge.
Intangibles
Son of Willie Ealy & Nettie Jones. Locker room leader. Matured and developed into team player. Has a good relationship with father who was tough on him growing up. Grew up in tough area of St. Louis before father moved family when Ealy was in middle school. Sister Sierra has chromosomal deformities that affect her appearance, speech and motor skills. Missed time during 2013 spring practice due to family issues. Has called former Missouri players Aldon Smith and Shedlon Richardson for advice.

Defensive End Specific Traits
Pass Rush Skills
Quick-twitch athlete with more suddenness and explosiveness than frame indicates. Quick and strong hands. Effective club to swim move and can go either way with it. Flashes above average speed to power and can knock back offensive tackles. Good closing burst. Big hitter than can jar ball loose. Can stream line pass rush moves. Gets too high and looks mechanical on some twists.
Versus the run
Active run defender that's at best on the move. Strong and long enough to set the edge when keeps pads down. Good awareness and locates ball quickly. Good range for size. Makes plays in pursuit (front-side and backside). Good pop as a tackler.
Versatility
LDE starter that moves inside to rush on obvious pass downs. Imporved ability to counter and get off blocks when kicked inside. Quickness gives interior offensive linemen problems. Average athelte in space but could be a 34OLB conversion candidate in some multiple schemes. Shows good instincts and range when asked to drop into underneath coverage.
Instincts/Motor
Chases run and passer. Will occasionally throw in the towel too early when he s neutralized in phone booth. Flashes an edge and doesn't back down when challeneged but would still like to see more physicality.

I'd love to get him, if we could move back a little and get a third, all the better, if not, draft him. Start him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ealy is not a quick twitch athlete, not sure where you get that. He has enough quickness as inside rusher, but doesn't have the elite quickness off the edge. That's why he was moved inside.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Ealy is not a quick twitch athlete, not sure where you get that. He has enough quickness as inside rusher, but doesn't have the elite quickness off the edge. That's why he was moved inside.

He played outside more than he did inside...........they used him like the GMen used Justin Tuck.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I'm a huge Kony Ealy fan as you can see by my Mock below.

Height-Weight-Speed
Prototypical frame with good bulk and continues to improve muscle mass. Weighed 207 pounds when arrived at Missouri. Displays good top-end speed for size.
Durability
Appeared in every game over the past three seasons and hasn't sustained any serious injuries to the best of our knowledge.
Intangibles
Son of Willie Ealy & Nettie Jones. Locker room leader. Matured and developed into team player. Has a good relationship with father who was tough on him growing up. Grew up in tough area of St. Louis before father moved family when Ealy was in middle school. Sister Sierra has chromosomal deformities that affect her appearance, speech and motor skills. Missed time during 2013 spring practice due to family issues. Has called former Missouri players Aldon Smith and Shedlon Richardson for advice.

Defensive End Specific Traits
Pass Rush Skills
Quick-twitch athlete with more suddenness and explosiveness than frame indicates. Quick and strong hands. Effective club to swim move and can go either way with it. Flashes above average speed to power and can knock back offensive tackles. Good closing burst. Big hitter than can jar ball loose. Can stream line pass rush moves. Gets too high and looks mechanical on some twists.
Versus the run
Active run defender that's at best on the move. Strong and long enough to set the edge when keeps pads down. Good awareness and locates ball quickly. Good range for size. Makes plays in pursuit (front-side and backside). Good pop as a tackler.
Versatility
LDE starter that moves inside to rush on obvious pass downs. Imporved ability to counter and get off blocks when kicked inside. Quickness gives interior offensive linemen problems. Average athelte in space but could be a 34OLB conversion candidate in some multiple schemes. Shows good instincts and range when asked to drop into underneath coverage.
Instincts/Motor
Chases run and passer. Will occasionally throw in the towel too early when he s neutralized in phone booth. Flashes an edge and doesn't back down when challeneged but would still like to see more physicality.

I'd love to get him, if we could move back a little and get a third, all the better, if not, draft him. Start him.

Thank you for that post, appreciated.

I'm curious what you have seen to classify him as quick twitch. I haven't seen it. Anything in particular I should watch?

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Broaddus was saying on the 1053 draft show or something that he views Ealy as a guy that Dallas would take as a back up pick. If Barr, Donald and other guys they want at that spot are gone and there isn't a good trade down deal, they will take him and feel good about it but not their ideal pick there. Ive heard others mention this too.

I suppose I would be fine with that type of situation too but I might lean toward BPA (unless its Ealy of course) then maybe trade up from the second or third to get that DE they want.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would be a horrible pick at 16.

Not big enough/strong enough inside.

Not fast enough/quick enough to play as a DE.

Pass.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Broaddus was saying on the 1053 draft show or something that he views Ealy as a guy that Dallas would take as a back up pick. If Barr, Donald and other guys they want at that spot are gone and there isn't a good trade down deal, they will take him and feel good about it but not their ideal pick there. Ive heard others mention this too.

I suppose I would be fine with that type of situation too but I might lean toward BPA (unless its Ealy of course) then maybe trade up from the second or third to get that DE they want.

i have said this too,i really hope we can trade down and still get him or one of the other DEs.