Kony Ealy

cmoney23

Reaction score
He would be a horrible pick at 16.

Not big enough/strong enough inside.

Not fast enough/quick enough to play as a DE.

Pass.

Just last season he had 14 TFL, 8 Sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 int (returned 49 yrds for the TD) Ran a 4.6~ at his pro day and did the three cone drill in the same time as Lesean McCoy! He's 6-4 273. He will be a player.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Thank you for that post, appreciated.

I'm curious what you have seen to classify him as quick twitch. I haven't seen it. Anything in particular I should watch?

Sorry, thats not my classification of him... I agree with it, but thats the Scouts Inc. Break down of him. I like this little video about him though.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just last season he had 14 TFL, 8 Sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 int (returned 49 yrds for the TD) Ran a 4.6~ at his pro day and did the three cone drill in the same time as Lesean McCoy! He's 6-4 273. He will be a player.

And Kareem Martin had 21.5 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 FF and ran better than Ealy both in the 40 and in the 10 yard split (at the combine). Plus he's almost 2 inches taller, has longer arms and larger hands.

Martin or Ealy?

I'm taking Martin.

I think Ealy has potential, but not enough to take him in the 1st round.

tm1119

Reaction score
And Kareem Martin had 21.5 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 FF and ran better than Ealy both in the 40 and in the 10 yard split (at the combine). Plus he's almost 2 inches taller, has longer arms and larger hands.

Martin or Ealy?

I'm taking Martin.

And then there's Scott Crichton too.....and it sounnds like a lot of people are hoping to develop into what Easley already is. Minus the injuries of course.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And then there's Scott Crichton too.....and it sounnds like a lot of people are hoping to develop into what Easley already is. Minus the injuries of course.

Crichton seems like a decent prospect.

Just not in round 1.

Lots of folks seem to be wanting the Cowboys to select a 2nd or 3rd round DE in round 1 simply because they need a DE... I definitely do not want them to do that. Take the best player and move on.

They can get a DE later in the draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Martin or Ealy?

I'm taking Martin.

Ealy also had the benefit of Michael Sam and Markus Golden playing with him. Put him as the focal rusher with a less talented cast around him, I guarantee you that production is not replicated.

Alexander

Reaction score

Just not in round 1.

Lots of folks seem to be wanting the Cowboys to select a 2nd or 3rd round DE in round 1 simply because they need a DE... I definitely do not want them to do that. Take the best player and move on.

Exactly. The need is actually inflating Ealy's value for some people, it is pretty obvious.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ealy also had the benefit of Michael Sam and Markus Golden playing with him. Put him as the focal rusher with a less talented cast around him, I guarantee you that production is not replicated.

And really he wasn't as productive as he should be given his athletic skills. You would be drafting the guy more on potential rather than production and that doesn't seem like a good bet in round 1.

Alexander

Reaction score
And really he wasn't as productive as he should be given his athletic skills. You would be drafting the guy more on potential rather than production and that doesn't seem like a good bet in round 1.

He also has an overinflated view of himself, basically calling himself the best rusher in this draft. He was not even the best rusher on his own team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. The need is actually inflating Ealy's value for some people, it is pretty obvious.

Folks are losing perspective due to the great need.

I don't think anyone is oblivious to the fact that the Cowboys need more at weakside DE. None of us (I think) believe that Selvie is the answer there.

But this mess isn't going to be fixed in one draft either.

Alexander

Reaction score
Folks are losing perspective due to the great need.

I don't think anyone is oblivious to the fact that the Cowboys need more at weakside DE. None of us (I think) believe that Selvie is the answer there.

But this mess isn't going to be fixed in one draft either.

You are on a roll being right, Michael.

tm1119

Reaction score

Just not in round 1.

That was point about Ealy. Why take him in the 1st when there are plenty of guys in the draft with similar skill sets. Hell, give me Ben Gardner in the 5th over Ealy in the 1st. If Jerry is going to go out on a limb for a DE it better be someone like Barr or Attaochu (with a trade back) who have a lot higher sack potential.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are on a roll being right, Michael.

I would take a "Band-Aid" up shot at the position this season. Throw Selvie out there for some snaps. Get a WDE with some "warts" in either rounds 2 or 3 and then maybe a Hubbard or Webster later on.

And who knows a Hubbard or Webster may end up being a decent starter down the road.

Alexander

Reaction score
That was point about Ealy. Why take him in the 1st when there are plenty of guys in the draft with similar skill sets. Hell, give me Ben Gardner in the 5th over Ealy in the 1st. If Jerry is going to go out on a limb for a DE it better be someone like Barr or Attaochu (with a trade back) who have a lot higher sack potential.

Now you are stretching it a bit with Gardner.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm right there with you!

Alexander

Reaction score
I would take a "Band-Aid" up shot at the position this season. Throw Selvie out there for some snaps. Get a WDE with some "warts" in either rounds 2 or 3 and then maybe a Hubbard or Webster later on.

And who knows a Hubbard or Webster may end up being a decent starter down the road.

Hubbard is intriguing. I would just load up on as many as I could and hope you hit. That does not necessarily mean starting at pick 16. That has to be a hit given the talent level we have across the roster.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hubbard is intriguing. I would just load up on as many as I could and hope you hit. That does not necessarily mean starting at pick 16. That has to be a hit given the talent level we have across the roster.

Exactly right.

tm1119

Reaction score
Now you are stretching it a bit with Gardner.

I know they aren't the sane player and Ealy is a better prospect....just saying in terms of value of Ealy in the 1st vs Gardner in the 5th its not really close to me

Alexander

Reaction score
I know they aren't the sane player and Ealy is a better prospect....just saying in terms of value of Ealy in the 1st vs Gardner in the 5th its not really close to me

I get what you are saying, but maybe I think a little less of Gardner as a 4-3 fit than you do. Seems like a good 3-4 end and a steal later on though.