Kraken Open To Extension

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he signed an extension during the season, if he continues to put up these sack numbers, he's going to have a lot of offers. I don't know who his agent is, but he'll probably wait it out.

With ever sack he gets, his price tag grows. Knowing this, are you just going to watch this happen or try to put a cap on what he will cost you.

If it were my decision, I would give him top dollar for his position, he is clearly worth it. He's not going to turn that down, during the season or not.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Well there you go, his price tag is going to be crazy.

I doubt it's gonna be crazy.

With the off field issues, with the perceived temper tantrums on the sidelines, and being a head case in the locker room he won't get a crazy price tag.

Wayne02

Reaction score

With the off field issues, with the perceived temper tantrums on the sidelines, and being a head case in the locker room he won't get a crazy price tag.

Teams will overlook all of that if he continues his sack dominance, and I think he will. His arrow is pointing up.

Wayne02

Reaction score
With ever sack he gets, his price tag grows. Knowing this, are you just going to watch this happen or try to put a cap on what he will cost you.

If it were my decision, I would give him top dollar for his position, he is clearly worth it. He's not going to turn that down, during the season or not.

If I'm Jerry, I'd definitely try. You can't allow him to hit the market and get into a bidding war.

8FOR!3

Reaction score

At the end of the day anything that was going to keep him off the field is over and done with, he's an elite pass rusher and they're not easy to get like running backs allegedly are.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The obvious question is what is he asking for?

If it's an outrageous number, pound sand, Greg.

I won't pretend to know what a reasonable contract for him should look like, especially only two games in. That said, I read an article recently (can't remember who wrote it or what site it was on) that put his anticipated contract in the neighborhood of what Dez got. My guess is that if he ends up with 12 sacks, or so (one per game, on average) he'll probably command more than that. He has three right now with 10 games to go, so nine more isn't an outrageous number, at all.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Another point on Hardy is that he isn't in a position where he HAS to get one huge payday to set him up for life. DeMarco was in that position, his entire future depended on his next contract. He hadn't made a lot before and the odds are he wouldn't get another one after.

Hardy will have made 20MM or so after this season, his entire financial future isn't hanging on this one contract and he has a reasonable chance of getting another contract at age 31 or 32. He has the flexibility to take a good, not great, contract if he loves it in Dallas and I think that is what we are seeing.

Sydla

Reaction score
At the end of the day anything that was going to keep him off the field is over and done with, he's an elite pass rusher and they're not easy to get like running backs allegedly are.

You can guarantee that he won't get in trouble on or off the field in the future? It's not his issue with the girlfriend that would make teams shy away. It would be the unknown in front of them given that Hardy continues to show poor decision making.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Guys, this is good news. If Hardy was really pushing to get every last dollar he would go through Free Agency (like DeMarco did). The fact his side of the negotiations are saying this means he loves Dallas and is willing to take less money to stay.

And Jerry will do it, after waiting a few more games.

it also may mean his agents are going to try and get a nice deal before something bad happens.
not saying i expect, or don't want him signed. but the agents know he's still risky.

Kaiser

Reaction score
it also may mean his agents are going to try and get a nice deal before something bad happens.
not saying i expect, or don't want him signed. but the agents know he's still risky.

True, but when you look at Jones structuring his 2015 contract as something 100% incentive based I would think Jones would build in protection for the team as well.

To my knowledge we haven't seen any lockerroom problems from Hardy, just the DV fiasco and ClipboardGateMaggon. This isn't TO or Pacman Jones IMO.

erod

Reaction score
I think Jerry/Stephen smell a discount with lots of protection clauses right now. It's either sign now, or let Hardy walk in the offseason.

The Cowboys don't want to get stuck in a Suh deal, which Miami wishes they could get out of already.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I was watching a bit of the game last night, and thought is was pretty amazing when they put Randy Gregory in Hardy's spot at RDE, Mincey at RDT, then moved Jack Crawford over to LDE and Hardy to LDT, where he got a sack. This kind of flexibility is going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses, so let's sign him up and let the other teams play "Find The Kraken" on every down. :)

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Open to extension is one thing.
Doesn't mean he won't try to put the price tag through the roof.

EDIT: Trying do five things at once does not typically work well. Sorry for the typos.

Its all about supply and demand (headache or not)....Hardy has all the leverage right now..... Love to sign him longterm but this guy will not come cheap. What till it take 5yr/80 mil with 40 to 50 guaranteed

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bingo! I don't think the market is going to be that great for his services. And the firestorm surrounding his sidelines outburst might actually work to the Cowboys' favor.
Still, I think it's too early to be talking about extension. And I wouldn't worry about someone taking him from us. I think he wants to be here, and I think many other teams would be leery of signing him.

Suh signed a contract that averages 19M despite the fact that he continued his antics after repeated fines and suspension issues.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Suh signed a contract that averages 19M despite the fact that he continued his antics after repeated fines and suspension issues.

But Suh's issues are tied to on-field behavior. Hardy's issues have to do with domestic violence, and based on the league's stance against that, I don't know if clubs are going to want to deal with the stigma.

Or simply put, the general perception of Suh is, "He steps on a player. That's deplorable, but it's within the game." With Hardy it's, "He knocked a clipboard out of a coach's hands. Yeah, I can see where he knocks around women also."

It ain't fair. But it is what it is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Suh's issues are tied to on-field behavior. Hardy's issues have to do with domestic violence, and based on the league's stance against that, I don't know if clubs are going to want to deal with the stigma.

Or simply put, the general perception of Suh is, "He steps on a player. That's deplorable, but it's within the game." With Hardy it's, "He knocked a clipboard out of a coach's hands. Yeah, I can see where he knocks around women also."

It ain't fair. But it is what it is.

Yes, but Suh had the issues repeatedly and was on the verge of a significant suspension at points in time; whereas, Hardy has not really had a long history of problems.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Except unlike most top QBs and LTs and DEs, Hardy has a troubled past and just had a sideline outburst which I doubt wil be the last.

He might be a great DE but the market for him would be much different than say for JJ Watt or Tyron Smith or whomever at the positions you mentioned.

Yea I don't think the market will be that great for him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yes, but Suh had the issues repeatedly and was on the verge of a significant suspension at points in time; whereas, Hardy has not really had a long history of problems.

You're missing the point, though. There's a reason Hardy didn't have a lot of takers when he was let go from Carolina. And that's because of the domestic violence stigma he has attached to him.
Suh may have been viewed as a nasty player, but there's an unwritten code in the NFL that you'd rather a player be nasty than a wussy. You simply try to channel that in appropriate ways on the field.

Be that as it may, I may be wrong. Maybe there's a market for Hardy. But in this NFL climate, I wouldn't think a lot of teams are lining up to sign him. And everything he does in the way of "over the top" conduct will be interpreted from the prism of his domestic violence situation.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You're missing the point, though. There's a reason Hardy didn't have a lot of takers when he was let go from Carolina.

Hardy signed three days into the Free Agency Period and got a contract that potentially pays him eight figures. I don't think you can say he "didn't have a lot of takers".