Kraken Open To Extension

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I doubt it's gonna be crazy.

With the off field issues, with the perceived temper tantrums on the sidelines, and being a head case in the locker room he won't get a crazy price tag.

Talent trumps off field issues. He will get a crazy offer. Let me offer the following examples of players w more off field issues than the Kracken

(1) although he was convicted of child negligence or some similar charge, Adrian Peterson was not cut from Minnesota even though he has a high salary - the highest among rbs and is aging. He wasnt even available for trade
(2) Aldon Smith - arrested 3-4 times and numerous other off field issues. Was cut by San Fran and immediately picked up by Oakland. Oakland is trying to extend him. He has the third most pressures among OLBs
(3) Ray Lewis - was on a televised trial for murder, was acquitted and continued his career w Ravens with a nice extension

If you got issues, but you are an all pro, you will get paid.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Talent trumps off field issues. He will get a crazy offer. Let me offer the following examples of players w more off field issues than the Kracken

(1) although he was convicted of child negligence or some similar charge, Adrian Peterson was not cut from Minnesota even though he has a high salary - the highest among rbs and is aging. He wasnt even available for trade
(2) Aldon Smith - arrested 3-4 times and numerous other off field issues. Was cut by San Fran and immediately picked up by Oakland. Oakland is trying to extend him. He has the third most pressures among OLBs
(3) Ray Lewis - was on a televised trial for murder, was acquitted and continued his career w Ravens with a nice extension

If you got issues, but you are an all pro, you will get paid.

This is why I find it so laughable that all these ESPN talking heads are getting their panties in a bunch about the deplorable, evil Greg Hardy. Um, look across the room, you morons. You're harboring a murderer.

kevm3

Reaction score
Let's have a couple of more clipboards for him to knock around and maybe we can get him on a discount lol

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dallas won't have a problem paying market value for a dominant pass rusher. This isn't going to be a DeMarco Murray situation. They don't want to pay RB's high but they have absolutely zero problems opening up their wallet for someone who gets to the QB.

If Hardy wants to be in Dallas (and it is always easier to stay where you're already at)... then he will be in Dallas for the rest of his career. The Dallas salary cap situation is going to be very good next year and they'll have plenty of space to sign a pass rusher in his prime.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dallas won't have a problem paying market value for a dominant pass rusher. This isn't going to be a DeMarco Murray situation. They don't want to pay RB's high but they have absolutely zero problems opening up their wallet for someone who gets to the QB.

If Hardy wants to be in Dallas (and it is always easier to stay where you're already at)... then he will be in Dallas for the rest of his career. The Dallas salary cap situation is going to be very good next year and they'll have plenty of space to sign a pass rusher in his prime.

Also his 2015 contract was signed as protection for him missing a bunch chunk (or all) of the season. Now that the suspension issue is out of the way, if they wanted to they could free up cap space by lower his 2015 cap hit and giving him more money in a prorated bonus and in out year salaries.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Guys, this is good news. If Hardy was really pushing to get every last dollar he would go through Free Agency (like DeMarco did). The fact his side of the negotiations are saying this means he loves Dallas and is willing to take less money to stay.

And Jerry will do it, after waiting a few more games.

The Jerry game.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Hardy is on pace for 18 sacks (in 12 games) and has Russel Wilson this week who leads the league in QB sacks at 31.

Any extension can be determined on how they go after and IF they get after wilson

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Didn't Hardy say something about Dallas being the team he'd always wanted to play for? I think it was him?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's the point. You are saying he didn't have other teams after him, my point is that we don't know. But the fact Jones moved so quickly and offered so much money means its very likely other teams would have entered the bidding if Jones didn't reach a deal.

Don't we usually hear about teams being interested in players that hit the market? I don't recall any stories indicating Hardy was being courted by anyone else. I do recall when Peyton hit the market San Francisco, Denver and even Philadelphia were in play.
But we didn't hear anything about Hardy other than Dallas. Unless, of course, you know of some other team who was after him.
And, no, the fact Jones swooped Hardy up doesn't mean there were other bidders. It more likely means that Dallas was desperate for a pass rusher and made Hardy an offer he couldn't refuse. Besides, Dallas offered Hardy a deal that protected the club in case Hardy got suspended or got into more trouble.
You would think a guy who was wanted could do better than that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Suh example was to show it really on takes 1 team to go crazy for a troubled player to get a massive contract.

It is likely that many teams would not have signed Suh even at a more reasonable price but 1 it only required the 1 team.

I have no problem with your assessment. It does only require one team. But that doesn't mean there's a whole lot of interest. Still, even if you get multiple offers, you can only play for one team.

I tell my son that when he sees other guys at his positions playing for other teams getting all these college "offers." :)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way the Cowboys would or should resign Hardy without some stipulations and protections. While his crazy antics and quotes don't bother me one bit as long as he plays and doesn't get in legal trouble, it does matter to the NFL and our front office.

No way Hardy agrees to any stipulations or contract protections this early in the season. He will want to see if all teams feel the same way, and he will want a contract that is guaranteed.

No matter how productive he is on the field, this will be a tricky situation for both sides.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Don't we usually hear about teams being interested in players that hit the market? I don't recall any stories indicating Hardy was being courted by anyone else. I do recall when Peyton hit the market San Francisco, Denver and even Philadelphia were in play.
But we didn't hear anything about Hardy other than Dallas. Unless, of course, you know of some other team who was after him.
And, no, the fact Jones swooped Hardy up doesn't mean there were other bidders. It more likely means that Dallas was desperate for a pass rusher and made Hardy an offer he couldn't refuse. Besides, Dallas offered Hardy a deal that protected the club in case Hardy got suspended or got into more trouble.
You would think a guy who was wanted could do better than that.

Supposedly, Tampa Bay was looking at him but backed out once he visited Dallas. I heard some people say that Tampa was never really trying to get him and it was just his agent trying to up the price for Dallas... but personally, I think Tampa was interested at one point.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
No way the Cowboys would or should resign Hardy without some stipulations and protections. While his crazy antics and quotes don't bother me one bit as long as he plays and doesn't get in legal trouble, it does matter to the NFL and our front office.

No way Hardy agrees to any stipulations or contract protections this early in the season. He will want to see if all teams feel the same way, and he will want a contract that is guaranteed.

No matter how productive he is on the field, this will be a tricky situation for both sides.

Word was that his coaches and team mates in Carolina all loved having Hardy on the team, but it was ownership who decided to cut ties with him. Everything that I've heard regarding Hardy as a player and team mate has been very good. Not just ok, but very good.

Apparently, the Dallas players and coaches are seeing that and feeling the same way as in Carolina. If that is indeed how the franchise feels about Hardy, then Garrett/Stephen/Jerry/McClay will have more information about his character than any of the other teams.

That doesn't guarantee that he will re-sign in Dallas long-term... but it will give the team a higher comfort level with Hardy's issues than any other team out there. If both sides want Greg to be in Dallas (and by all accounts they do) then it will happen.

I do agree with you on the built in protections that his contract will require but that will be there no matter which team he signs with. In fact, with the increased comfort level that Dallas will have with him should make any stipulations less in a contract with Dallas. At the very least, the team will want no more than any other team.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Very simple contract.

"$1 Million per sack. $1 million for Pro Bowl. $2 million for ALL PRO. Base Salary as per NFL veteran rules."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Supposedly, Tampa Bay was looking at him but backed out once he visited Dallas. I heard some people say that Tampa was never really trying to get him and it was just his agent trying to up the price for Dallas... but personally, I think Tampa was interested at one point.

Any GM in the league who's serious about his job is taking a careful look at him. He's too good a player for them not to be. Now, he might not be worth the headache for a lot of them, but you can bet they're looking at it no matter what they say publicly.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Any GM in the league who's serious about his job is taking a careful look at him. He's too good a player for them not to be. Now, he might not be worth the headache for a lot of them, but you can bet they're looking at it no matter what they say publicly.

Yeah, any 43 defense should be interested in him. He's a beast. Just wait until he gets acclimated 100% to playing again, and Dallas gets some leads in games and puts them in passing situations. He'll hang 4 or 5 sacks on a team when that happens.