Kraken Open To Extension

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Hardy signed three days into the Free Agency Period and got a contract that potentially pays him eight figures. I don't think you can say he "didn't have a lot of takers".

But the fact he chose us that quickly means he likes the set-up here.

I can see a Dez type deal with some staggered guarantees North of 30m+.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I don't care what the price tag is, sign elite players when they're in their prime.

Kaiser

Reaction score
But the fact he chose us that quickly means he likes the set-up here.

I can see a Dez type deal with some staggered guarantees North of 30m+.

That plus the fact that despite the tampering rules, every team and every player have had backchannel communication before the FA period begins. Nothing is a surprise when the bell actually rings.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hardy deserves, and is going to get, a huge deal. And he's got more leverage on the open market than he has at any other time, so you can bet they're not givign that leverage away if they don't have to.

That said, Dallas will be one of the teams willing to pay big money, and we're probably going to be the most attractive team in the bidding in that we've got a culture he likes and a support system in place and he's already got relationships here and the owner loves him. The only trick to this one is how to structure the deal so that the player gets guaranteed money and the team still retails some downside protection if he goes ape at some point and lays hands on a coach for real or something like that.

I think it's pretty unlikely that another team is going to take on both the huge contract and no downside protection given the guy's history and given that they'll know even less about him than we do. So Dallas is going to get first crack at the Kraken. This is one where I just don't see Jerry letting go of the guy. It's more likely we take too big a risk than it is we let him walk after he's shown us what he can do on the field.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Hardy deserves, and is going to get, a huge deal. And he's got more leverage on the open market than he has at any other time, so you can bet they're not givign that leverage away if they don't have to.

That said, Dallas will be one of the teams willing to pay big money, and we're probably going to be the most attractive team in the bidding in that we've got a culture he likes and a support system in place and he's already got relationships here and the owner loves him. The only trick to this one is how to structure the deal so that the player gets guaranteed money and the team still retails some downside protection if he goes ape at some point and lays hands on a coach for real or something like that.

I think it's pretty unlikely that another team is going to take on both the huge contract and no downside protection given the guy's history and given that they'll know even less about him than we do. So Dallas is going to get first crack at the Kraken. This is one where I just don't see Jerry letting go of the guy. It's more likely we take too big a risk than it is we let him walk after he's shown us what he can do on the field.
:hammer:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Yes, but Suh had the issues repeatedly and was on the verge of a significant suspension at points in time; whereas, Hardy has not really had a long history of problems.

Should say reported problems.

Hardy is a knucklehead. Don't get me wrong, he is a hell of a football player. When he was in Charlotte a lot of it was brushed off to the side.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'd like to see what the defence can do for the rest of the year if Lee and Mclain can stay healthy before throwing him a huge contract. I think the market for superstar d-linemen is currently overinflated.

Feel a little this way myself.

I also would be interested to know exactly how much of this character bashing that has been going on with Hardy via the media really affects how his market would be as a free agent.

He was not exactly sought after in free agency when Dallas was just bidding against themselves (don't think Tampa was really a player). With all the negativity around him and all the outrage, not so certain he would have the top value of another pass rusher who does not have the baggage.

Zman5

Reaction score
You can guarantee that he won't get in trouble on or off the field in the future? It's not his issue with the girlfriend that would make teams shy away. It would be the unknown in front of them given that Hardy continues to show poor decision making.

Haynesworth or Suh didn't have any problems getting a big contract after all their antics.

If Hardy keeps playing this well, I can name several teams that will throw big money at him at the end of the season. I can see Danny boy camping out at Hardy's house the night before FA starts.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Yeah, no. Mrs. Snyder is very active with female Commanders fans. That alone would make Dan dismiss the idea of Hardy.

Not to mention, on-field, off-field...potential.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes, but Suh had the issues repeatedly and was on the verge of a significant suspension at points in time; whereas, Hardy has not really had a long history of problems.

Yet Suh signed a megadeal and Hardy had few suitors. Hardy may have a ton of people knocking on his door after this year as well. Time will tell, if he hits free agency.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hardy signed three days into the Free Agency Period and got a contract that potentially pays him eight figures. I don't think you can say he "didn't have a lot of takers".

He signed with the Cowboys. Do you know whether other teams were pursuing him? The fact he signed a contract that potentially pays him "eight figures" really doesn't tell us whether other clubs pursued him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yet Suh signed a megadeal and Hardy had few suitors. Hardy may have a ton of people knocking on his door after this year as well. Time will tell, if he hits free agency.

And MIA is already regretting it. It won't be matched by GHardy in this ESPN driven universe.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He signed with the Cowboys. Do you know whether other teams were pursuing him? The fact he signed a contract that potentially pays him "eight figures" really doesn't tell us whether other clubs pursued him.

That's the point. You are saying he didn't have other teams after him, my point is that we don't know. But the fact Jones moved so quickly and offered so much money means its very likely other teams would have entered the bidding if Jones didn't reach a deal.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling the term LOCK HIM UP is going to have a different meaning to Hardy someday soon...
Hardy? Locked up? As in prison? No way. If he's getting taken out, he going out guns blazing.

Gisele will weep at his funeral. Then she will be consumed by a grieving Kraken. Naturally, Tom will try to defend his wife from the monster's attack by waving a 4-iron at it but he won't have enough club.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Jerry will do him right and pay him aplenty.

However, if in two weeks he breaks Bradford in half, then breaks Sanchize in half, then breaks Ryan Matthews in half, i'd pay him so his great, great, great, great, great, great grandkids will never have to work.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hardy's legal situation was unknown then but that will not be an issue in 2016.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're missing the point, though. There's a reason Hardy didn't have a lot of takers when he was let go from Carolina. And that's because of the domestic violence stigma he has attached to him.
Suh may have been viewed as a nasty player, but there's an unwritten code in the NFL that you'd rather a player be nasty than a wussy. You simply try to channel that in appropriate ways on the field.

Be that as it may, I may be wrong. Maybe there's a market for Hardy. But in this NFL climate, I wouldn't think a lot of teams are lining up to sign him. And everything he does in the way of "over the top" conduct will be interpreted from the prism of his domestic violence situation.

The Suh example was to show it really on takes 1 team to go crazy for a troubled player to get a massive contract.

It is likely that many teams would not have signed Suh even at a more reasonable price but 1 it only required the 1 team.