Kraken Open To Extension

Jenky

Reaction score
Very simple contract.

"$1 Million per sack. $1 million for Pro Bowl. $2 million for ALL PRO. Base Salary as per NFL veteran rules."

Never gonna happen bud, simply because of the chance of injury.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Supposedly, Tampa Bay was looking at him but backed out once he visited Dallas. I heard some people say that Tampa was never really trying to get him and it was just his agent trying to up the price for Dallas... but personally, I think Tampa was interested at one point.

I vaguely remember that.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Don't we usually hear about teams being interested in players that hit the market? I don't recall any stories indicating Hardy was being courted by anyone else. I do recall when Peyton hit the market San Francisco, Denver and even Philadelphia were in play.
But we didn't hear anything about Hardy other than Dallas. Unless, of course, you know of some other team who was after him.

You have gone from saying he didn't have offers to saying you didn't read of any. First, Hardy was in Dallas negotiating on the second day of FA, there wasn't a ton of time.

Second, the vast majority of media stories about teams being interested are leaks from agents and not a reflection of the market. You didn't read about Philly being interested in DeMarco until the last moment, which was months into the FA period.

Third, every team with a QB opening would have every incentive to talk to the press about pursuing Payton Manning. With the legal issues around Hardy, a team would have no incentive to have it out in the media they were pursuing a controversial player.

My point (still) is that we don't know whether teams were pursuing him or not.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Supposedly, Tampa Bay was looking at him but backed out once he visited Dallas. I heard some people say that Tampa was never really trying to get him and it was just his agent trying to up the price for Dallas... but personally, I think Tampa was interested at one point.

That was in the media but it was after the outline of the deal was in place with Dallas but it was dragging on. IIRC it was in the media as "If Dallas doesn't finalize the contract, Hardy is going to fly to Tampa" (which he never did). To me it smelled like a rumor Hardy's agent had planted to try to keep some leverage at the last minute.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I like the idea but 25m is too much money, even for a 20+ sack season.

Not to mention when your entire salary is based on sacks you're giving the player a lot of incentive to freelance to pad his wallet. Bonuses are fine, but an entire contract? No thanks.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You have gone from saying he didn't have offers to saying you didn't read of any. First, Hardy was in Dallas negotiating on the second day of FA, there wasn't a ton of time.

Actually, I didn't say he didn't have offers. I said he didn't have a lot of takers.

Second, the vast majority of media stories about teams being interested are leaks from agents and not a reflection of the market. You didn't read about Philly being interested in DeMarco until the last moment, which was months into the FA period.

Right, Philly and who else? Murray didn't appear to have a lot of takers either.

Third, every team with a QB opening would have every incentive to talk to the press about pursuing Payton Manning. With the legal issues around Hardy, a team would have no incentive to have it out in the media they were pursuing a controversial player.

But if they would have no incentive to pursue a controversial player, doesn't it stand to reason they would be interesting in signing him? Eventually, if he were being pursued, he'd be signed by one of those teams, and the cat would be out of the bag, right? At some point the secrecy would be broken by the signing.

My point (still) is that we don't know whether teams were pursuing him or not.

Fair enough. I just don't believe there were a lot of takers for him.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dallas is better letting him hit open market but you hope Hardy shows grain of gratitude and lets Dallas match highest bidder if they want. Its really too soon to know his value because as we have seen each week brings something different with Kraken.

Why would that be better? If we can sign him for cheap I'd do so. We already struck out on Murray and Ty Crawford has not even lived up to his billing. Elite passrushers don't fall off trees these days and Hardy is an elite passrusher.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Actually, I didn't say he didn't have offers. I said he didn't have a lot of takers.

Not that I care about extending this thread but ...ummmmmm... how does a free agent have more than one taker?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Man the crazy aspect has to play into his value. How many teams are you really competing with for him? Look at RoMc. Not the same caliber guy but there were some lofty numbers thrown around but no one else wanted to deal with the hassle.

Wood

Reaction score
Why would that be better? If we can sign him for cheap I'd do so. We already struck out on Murray and Ty Crawford has not even lived up to his billing. Elite passrushers don't fall off trees these days and Hardy is an elite passrusher.

zero evidence he will give Dallas a discount before FA period starts. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. The best Dallas can hope is Hardy allows to match best offer.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Guys, this is good news. If Hardy was really pushing to get every last dollar he would go through Free Agency (like DeMarco did). The fact his side of the negotiations are saying this means he loves Dallas and is willing to take less money to stay.

And Jerry will do it, after waiting a few more games.

Or maybe he thinks his best chance to make money is from the team that......ya know.....is paying him a bunch right now.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Talent trumps off field issues. He will get a crazy offer. Let me offer the following examples of players w more off field issues than the Kracken

(1) although he was convicted of child negligence or some similar charge, Adrian Peterson was not cut from Minnesota even though he has a high salary - the highest among rbs and is aging. He wasnt even available for trade
(2) Aldon Smith - arrested 3-4 times and numerous other off field issues. Was cut by San Fran and immediately picked up by Oakland. Oakland is trying to extend him. He has the third most pressures among OLBs
(3) Ray Lewis - was on a televised trial for murder, was acquitted and continued his career w Ravens with a nice extension

If you got issues, but you are an all pro, you will get paid.

I don't know if this helps or hurts your argument.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
zero evidence he will give Dallas a discount before FA period starts. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. The best Dallas can hope is Hardy allows to match best offer.

Who is talking about discount? I'm talking about getting him signed before FA. He stated he is opened to an extension. Therefore, he seems to like it here to the point of wanting to sign an extension before he hits FA. I would give him a fair deal and start from there. It is worth a try and we should not let talent like that slip away so easily.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not that I care about extending this thread but ...ummmmmm... how does a free agent have more than one taker?

By takers, I mean teams that are interested in him, teams willing to bring a player in and talk to him about possibly joining their team. I'm not talking about takers in a strictly literal sense. But I see your point if accuracy of language is the issue here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talent trumps off field issues. He will get a crazy offer. Let me offer the following examples of players w more off field issues than the Kracken

(1) although he was convicted of child negligence or some similar charge, Adrian Peterson was not cut from Minnesota even though he has a high salary - the highest among rbs and is aging. He wasnt even available for trade
(2) Aldon Smith - arrested 3-4 times and numerous other off field issues. Was cut by San Fran and immediately picked up by Oakland. Oakland is trying to extend him. He has the third most pressures among OLBs
(3) Ray Lewis - was on a televised trial for murder, was acquitted and continued his career w Ravens with a nice extension

If you got issues, but you are an all pro, you will get paid.

It appears that the has only been in trouble the 1 time and he was acquitted in that case. There seems to be as much evidence that the girl tried to set him up after a breakup as there is of him doing anything wrong.

Michael Irvin got into more trouble off the field and Charles Haley had way more on-field/locker-room issues.