Kris Richard dilemma

aria

Reaction score
Did you see those draft picks? He developed those guys.

He was given a first rounder in Byron Jones who was seen as a failure and has made him look like a stud.
I was referring to his Seattle players and I would expect a 1st round pick to be a stud. I’d be more impressed if he was a 6th round pick.

He was seen as a failure because (as I stated earlier) most fans here over react with a small sample size. From my understanding, CB is one of the toughest transitions to make from college to NFL yet people here expect immediate success.

Having said that, I do have higher expectations for certain positions to come out and make an immediate impact (ie RB, DE) but corner would be dang near at the bottom of my list.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Most people are already convinced he should be the next coach, before he's even done anything to earn it. Our defense is second to last in the league in takeaways and Richard's DB's are last in the NFL in interceptions, but he's already been anointed by most of this board.

I'm certainly not sure he is head coach material. I would hope there are more seasoned options out there, somewhere, way out there? I like his coaching tree connection with Pete Carol but that's about where it ends. I like his passion, but that doesn't guarantee he has the tools for a head coach.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I was referring to his Seattle players and I would expect a 1st round pick to be a stud. I’d be more impressed if he was a 6th round pick.

He was seen as a failure because (as I stated earlier) most fans here over react with a small sample size. From my understanding, CB is one of the toughest transitions to make from college to NFL yet people here expect immediate success.

Having said that, I do have higher expectations for certain positions to come out and make an immediate impact (ie RB, DE) but corner would be dang near at the bottom of my list.

Defensive End is a very long curve as well. You're quite mistaken.

Corner certainly is one of the most difficult, but this guy is in year 4 about to walk off into the sunset and richard rescued his career. At least with Dallas moving him back to corner from safety.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
What did McVay prove before he was hired by the Rams? Follow the boards maybe.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/if-rod-leaves-i-want-ken-norton-jr.280308/page-4

Ray Horton was also a popular one.

A thread from 2014? :laugh:

All that does is show me that people put way too much stock into assistants who coached under Pete Carroll's Super Bowl team.

People were clamoring for Norton before he ever did anything. Then after that thread was made, he went to Oakland and promptly failed and got fired.

Now we're rolling out the red carpet similarly here for Richard.

Again, some of you are far too easily impressed. Think bigger.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You look at Bill Belichick, Alex Cora, and Brad Stevens, good coaching makes a world of difference.

Swanny

Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.
This is exactly the reason Garrett needs to be fired today and let Richard take over as interim HC. See if he has what it take to be the head guy. If you like what he does this season sign him long term. If not get a new HC in the offseason

aria

Reaction score
Defensive End is a very long curve as well. You're quite mistaken.

Corner certainly is one of the most difficult, but this guy is in year 4 about to walk off into the sunset and richard rescued his career. At least with Dallas moving him back to corner from safety.
One guy isn’t going to change my mind and it doesn’t qualify him to be a HC.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.

Elevate Rod to HC.

Everyone respects Rod, and he has a great relationship with Richard, and has been totally open to giving Richard all the responsibility he can handle. Richard knows that Rod isn't looking to be around forever, so he has a clear glide path to HC.

Let McClay take more of the organizational and personnel responsibility over the HC. Let Rod manage players and gameday.

The offensive side of the ball is the problem. Bring in an OC. Dump Garrett and Linehan. Done.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If JG gets fired and Richard comes in and doesn't win a Super Bowl fans will blame him for sabotaging JG.

No. We will thank him for replacing JG, even if we think Richard himself stinks.

No one will regret the loss of Garrett.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Whats the dilemma? Elevate him to HC and let him choose his OC.

That is what normal, efficiently run organizations would do...………….we are talking about the Cowboys here.

Most likely scenario is that this is all pinned on Scotty and he is shown the door with Garrett remaining HC and Richard remaining DC for next season. Hope I am wrong and we clean house, except for Richards, but I am just getting this vibe that Scotty is being set up to be the fall guy here.

Reaction score

The pass rush is as big, if not a bigger, reason that the defense is doing so well. Credit where credit is due Marinelli has put together a nice front 7.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If JG gets fired and Richard comes in and doesn't win a Super Bowl fans will blame him for sabotaging JG.

Lets see, Richard has been here one season and Clappy has been here dam near a decade and has won jack chit.

Not really seeing much of a sabotage argument here...……….Clappy was blowing games long before Richard even showed up.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The pass rush is as big, if not a bigger, reason that the defense is doing so well. Credit where credit is due Marinelli has put together a nice front 7.

The pass rush has been largely inconsistent across games. I hope for some improvement from Irving, Gregory, Collins, and Charlton.

cern

Reaction score
I would prefer an offensive minded coach. Any up and coming OC from another team. An innovator, not a fossil.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No, no, no on Schwartz. His Detroit teams rivaled the Raiders in being undisciplined. He himself was undisciplined - going after Harbaugh after San Fran kicked his teams posterior.
any coach here is short term anyway. nobody is like garrett to stay this long. one thing about Schwartz is his teams play good defense and he is a 4-3 DC