Kris Richard has done nothing since he got here

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would anyone think he was the answer when his former HC, a D guy, didn't want to keep him to rebuild that D and secondary? Too much credit was given to him for the Legion of Boom when Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas were hand selected by Carroll for his secondary.

However, I am not sure about how he and Marinelli go about running the D. Marinelli likes that BDBD and stunting his DL and SEA did not run their D the same way.

One thing for sure, the really good D's are few and far between in the NFL. Either not enough good players to fit the systems or the DC's are not great but there is that unusual circumstance of the absence of one player being critical to the overall effectiveness of the D. Just look at the difference the absence of Woody with DAL, Palomalu with PIT, Reed with BAL and Sanders with IND.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think there are too many hands in the cookie jar here.

I think the defense would perform much better if either Rod or Richard took complete control. Play calling or not, I refuse to believe there aren't disagreements in philosophy.

Silly

Reaction score
Time to clean house. Fire Rod. Fire Richard. Fire O’Quinn or whoever that ST coordinator is. Fire Gary Brown. And Fire Jason Garrett.

JJ needs to have a hiring event on the offseason.

fire moore also. No reason Dak and zeke shouldn't have scored a TD in the 4th during a rain storm.

cern

Reaction score
Why would anyone think he was the answer when his former HC, a D guy, didn't want to keep him to rebuild that D and secondary? Too much credit was given to him for the Legion of Boom when Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas were hand selected by Carroll for his secondary.

However, I am not sure about how he and Marinelli go about running the D. Marinelli likes that BDBD and stunting his DL and SEA did not run their D the same way.

One thing for sure, the really good D's are few and far between in the NFL. Either not enough good players to fit the systems or the DC's are not great but there is that unusual circumstance of the absence of one player being critical to the overall effectiveness of the D. Just look at the difference the absence of Woody with DAL, Palomalu with PIT, Reed with BAL and Sanders with IND.
I'd let kris and rod both go. Defense starts with the d-line. Despite all the hype, it is not improved from last year. The lb's played well last year. Not nearly as well this year. Same for the d-backs. Time to clean out the barn on defensive coaching staff.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He may be strapped by Marinelli's outdated scheme.

However, if he goes, I will not complain about it. Even though I prefer there entire defensive staff goes.

I know Lett may be a fan favorite, but he sure hasn't helped develop any DT's either.
(In bold ^^^^): Shhhh, @jazzcat22 , don't speak too soon. Leon Lett could suddenly teach Trysten Hill how to do the Leon Lett Thanksgiving Day Special?!?!?!
:confused::eek::lmao2:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He's all talk.

No interceptions.

No coverage sacks.

Secondary is average at best.

Richard needs to go at the end of this season along with Marinelli.

Defense overhaul is needed.
I always laugh at this stuff. Did you watch the Ravens game Monday? So when the Ravens call a read option, and Lamar keeps the ball, and the rams defender on the end has it played perfectly, yet Lamar just flat outruns his *** like a college player playing against a 10u popwarner defender, you think that is due to great Ravens coaching? You think the front 7 of the niners absolutelt manhandling the packers Oline was simply coaching, or just men whipping other men's *****? Why have the Ravens all the sudden become an offensive jaugernaut? Did Harbough become an offensive guru all of the sudden?

Carson

Reaction score
Stats
2012 - 2014 defensive back coach
2012 - 18 picks
2013 - 28 picks
2014 - 13 picks

2015 - 2017 defensive coordinator
2015 - 15 picks, 37 sacks
2016 - 11 picks, 42 sacks
2017 - 14 picks, 39 sacks

Those are some defensive numbers with Richard coaching. He obviously has the skills to get the job done.

2018 - 9 picks, 39 sacks
2019 so far - 4 picks, 28 sacks

Amazing how brain dead our secondary and defense is when it comes to getting picks now

It’s scary even for Rod

2010-2012 defensive coordinator
2010 - 21 picks, 34 sacks
2011 - 20 picks, 33 sacks
2012 - 24 picks, 41 sacks

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
He gives a good interview which means nothing. Which is why I choose to hang on every snap as opposed to every word while cheering and hoping that both will prove productive:)

CB61

Reaction score
He's all talk.

No interceptions.

No coverage sacks.

Secondary is average at best.

Richard needs to go at the end of this season along with Marinelli.

Defense overhaul is needed.
I find this hard to believe but I'm going to ask it anyway do you think maybe he's handcuffed by Rod Marinelli and the head coach? The lack of interceptions and the coverage of these defensive backs is atrocious I will give you that lackluster at best

jnday

Reaction score
He may be strapped by Marinelli's outdated scheme.

However, if he goes, I will not complain about it. Even though I prefer there entire defensive staff goes.

I know Lett may be a fan favorite, but he sure hasn't helped develop any DT's either.
You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken manure. Let has had no talent to work with thanks to Marinelli.

Carson

Reaction score
You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken manure. Let has had no talent to work with thanks to Marinelli.

I agree. I’m not sure why Rod continues to trot this out.

in the past he has made guys like Corey Wooton, Israel Idonije, Henry Melton, Amobi Okoye decent players.

It’s just not working anymore.

Proof

Reaction score
It's a defense designed to play with a lead. The defense is barely in position to play with a lead. The results are self evident.

What percent of this teams resources do you think are going into defense versus offense? I think they're doing an admirable job given the situation.

Teams that have a defensive persona, actually invest in defense thoroughly. Our defensive line is a joke.

they've substantially invested on the D in recent years, they just haven't done the greatest job.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd let kris and rod both go. Defense starts with the d-line. Despite all the hype, it is not improved from last year. The lb's played well last year. Not nearly as well this year. Same for the d-backs. Time to clean out the barn on defensive coaching staff.
It does unless you are the mad scientist. His begins with the secondary, primarily the CB's. That's where he will bend the rules on the cap. He wasted a lot of high picks trying to get that secondary right and ended up going with mercs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Byron was ok at safety and ok at CB this year. He was better last year but Richard is not elevating these DB's like we thought he would. Time to overhaul the entire defensive staff and past due for the ST coach.

None of the current DBs on the roster, were personal choices of Kris Richard, and were already here before his arrival, and the one move Richard immediately
was a significant one with moving Jones from a very average free safety to a 2018 pro bowler at CB.
Only big problem is Jones has no ball skills or ability to get INTs, some skills you cannot teach up, either you have it or you don't.

and i don't think this organization has did everything in their power to bring on his type players - we had a chance to acquire one of Richard's fav players in Earl Thomas in
free agency, without having need to trade high picks for him, he was the leader and ball hawk INT, turnover guy we really needed in this defense
- but Stephen decided to play hard ball and we lost him out to Ravens.

Should Richard stay on, I assume we would search/get the players more suitable to what he prefers.
But something would have to be done about the expansion and full control of what he wants to do as the defensive play caller.
and that means having his own preferred coaches and assistants which Cowboys have denied him from having.
Who knows if Richard would prefer a coaching change in the DL unit or not.

i'm not as fond on Jordan Lewis' overall game than others on this board. i still think hes' purely more of a slot CB and he's limited beyond that.

but I am definitely not sold that Marnilli's run gap schemes, personnel preference and questionable sub packages-rotations
I have more issues with his blitzing scheme