Kris Richard has done nothing since he got here

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
None of the current DBs on the roster, were personal choices of Kris Richard, and were already here before his arrival, and the one move Richard immediately
was a significant one with moving Jones from a very average free safety to a 2018 pro bowler at CB.
Only big problem is Jones has no ball skills or ability to get INTs, some skills you cannot teach up, either you have it or you don't.

and i don't think this organization has did everything in their power to bring on his type players - we had a chance to acquire one of Richard's fav players in Earl Thomas in
free agency, without having need to trade high picks for him, he was the leader and ball hawk INT, turnover guy we really needed in this defense
- but Stephen decided to play hard ball and we lost him out to Ravens.

Should Richard stay on, I assume we would search/get the players more suitable to what he prefers.
But something would have to be done about the expansion and full control of what he wants to do as the defensive play caller.
and that means having his own preferred coaches and assistants which Cowboys have denied him from having.
Who knows if Richard would prefer a coaching change in the DL unit or not.

i'm not as fond on Jordan Lewis' overall game than others on this board. i still think hes' purely more of a slot CB and he's limited beyond that.

but I am definitely not sold that Marnilli's run gap schemes, personnel preference and questionable sub packages-rotations
I have more issues with his blitzing scheme

Jones had s really good year last year but Where is their step forward this year? I'm not giving him any room for excuses. Jones and awuzie were thought of as good CB's at draft time. Has he helped their progression? Anyone's progression?

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Seattle relied on once in a generation secondary and LB core with some great pieces on the Dline. I remember people saying its a very simple gameplan, but their corners and safeties just ball hawk everything. We're installing the same gameplan with far inferior players (not even bad players, just not HOF types), and thats what you get. We need pro-active co-ordinators, not 'stick to one scheme and do your job' types like we're littered with.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who said he did? That's why I said can them both. Rod because his d-line fails. Kris because the d-backs haven't improved. Simple stuff.
I disagree the d-backs haven’t improved. They’ve been doing a fine job this year.

Stak78

Reaction score
I disagree the d-backs haven’t improved. They’ve been doing a fine job this year.
I think the secondary is doing fine as well. My opinion is that they are not able to play the ball because our pass rush disappears more than it appears. Way to often both of our DTs stop and stand there to watch the QB step up from the outside pass rush. If the DBs watched for the ball their man would get wide open for big plays.
Improve the pass rush to force more hurried throws and the interceptions will come. Our Dline flashes every once in a while. But it’s bad.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Seattle relied on once in a generation secondary and LB core with some great pieces on the Dline. I remember people saying its a very simple gameplan, but their corners and safeties just ball hawk everything. We're installing the same gameplan with far inferior players (not even bad players, just not HOF types), and thats what you get. We need pro-active co-ordinators, not 'stick to one scheme and do your job' types like we're littered with.

Nothing wrong with the cover 1 / 3 that KR uses.

but Marinelli is stubborn.

we use the same scheme every game.

It’s BBDB on steroids.

cern

Reaction score
They've had their moments, but not to the level of improvement I was expecting after last year's improvement.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He's all talk.

No interceptions.

No coverage sacks.

Secondary is average at best.

Richard needs to go at the end of this season along with Marinelli.

Defense overhaul is needed.

Both BJones & Awuzie have gotten worse, so he has done some things. lol.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I was done with KR when he said he don't coach his DB's to track the ball. So sad, Chido has so much got potential but lacks coaching. Dave Campo did a better job than this bum.

kwcool619

Reaction score
He may be strapped by Marinelli's outdated scheme.

However, if he goes, I will not complain about it. Even though I prefer there entire defensive staff goes.

I know Lett may be a fan favorite, but he sure hasn't helped develop any DT's either.

I am disappointed in Lett. I really thought that he would develop DTs.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Time to clean house. Fire Rod. Fire Richard. Fire O’Quinn or whoever that ST coordinator is. Fire Gary Brown. And Fire Jason Garrett.

JJ needs to have a hiring event on the offseason.

Fire Sanjay Lal. Fire Leon Lett. Fire the scouting department. Fire the Tight Ends coach. Fire anyone with the last name of Garrett.

tico

Reaction score
Time to clean house. Fire Rod. Fire Richard. Fire O’Quinn or whoever that ST coordinator is. Fire Gary Brown. And Fire Jason Garrett.

No he need sto hire a real HC, who can hire his peoles

J12B

Reaction score

Have you seen Awuzie?

And they seem to give up plays in key moments.

For example Jones on Sunday against a rookie WR, Nkeal Harry. Harry beats him one on one for a TD on a critical 3rd down. Jones is our best corner.

Plays like that and the fact that the defense has 4 interceptions the entire season is what makes this secondary average.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's all talk.

No interceptions.

No coverage sacks.

Secondary is average at best.

Richard needs to go at the end of this season along with Marinelli.

Defense overhaul is needed.

A lot of screaming but in the end, it's all bubble gum......

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Have you seen Awuzie?

And they seem to give up plays in key moments.

For example Jones on Sunday against a rookie WR, Nkeal Harry. Harry beats him one on one for a TD on a critical 3rd down. Jones is our best corner.

Plays like that and the fact that the defense has 4 interceptions the entire season is what makes this secondary average.
I disagree. Also to cherry pick 1 play as an example is naive and presumptuous.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Until he's the only guy calling the shots you cannot judge
Yeah richard is not even named DC lol he is passing game coordinator!
you cant judge him about the defense when he is not the 'DC!
He is calling plays but they are marinelli scheme and plays lol.
Only so much he can do and defense overall has been better since he arrived.
Ints are due to the scheme, it does not lend itself to int's.

Kellen is OC in title, but even he has to use JG's playbook for the most part.
Get rid of marinelli, make Richards the official DC and let him do what he wants,
then see how he does, same for Kellen.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
oh so you're saying they haven't invested the most of any team in the league? no, you're correct. they have used their first pick in 4 of the past 5 drafts on defense though, and the majority of the overall picks.

Even that is a recent development.

2019 their first pick is a second round draft pick because they traded for a WR for 1.5 years. So Offense.
2018 - Defense
2017 draft pick is already off the team and doing better elsewhere. Should have drafted TJ Watt instead.
2016 - Offense
2015 - Defense
2014 - Offense
2013 - Offense
2012 - Defense
2011 - Offense

When you combine this with the financial resources going towards offense... It's clear this team doesn't appreciate defense as much as it needs to.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah richard is not even named DC lol he is passing game coordinator!
you cant judge him about the defense when he is not the 'DC!
He is calling plays but they are marinelli scheme and plays lol.
Only so much he can do and defense overall has been better since he arrived.
Ints are due to the scheme, it does not lend itself to int's.

Kellen is OC in title, but even he has to use JG's playbook for the most part.
Get rid of marinelli, make Richards the official DC and let him do what he wants,
then see how he does, same for Kellen.
Yeah, and I think we are one stud DT away from a truly great defense.

Big_D

Reaction score
I want to see a quality D, but hard to blame the guy after 2 seasons. He's not the DC in the war room begging for certain players. If we want to blame him, then you have to give him the opportunity to build 'his' defense and bring in the players he wants. This is just the case of finding a new scapegoat. Marinellis D has been underwhelming since day 1. But the secondary coach should 've fixed that in 29 games?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

JJ needs to hire a HC and give that person the authority to hire and fire his staff. Not this JJ is going to pick your staff for you nonsense.