Kris Richard on Trysten Hill and the new DB’s

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is a video from Dallas Cowboys.com of Kris Richard talking about the new DB’s he has this year. It’s really interesting to hear his take on the guys. Seems to like Mike Jackson a lot.

What I found most interesting though, was around the 2 min mark he is asked about why they took Trysten Hill in round 2 instead of one of the safeties they looked at so hard. He basically said that, “you win up front. It’s a big man’s game”. He goes on to say that Hill has “generational athleticism” and “freakish ability with regards to his athleticism”. He said that “it’s hard to pass on a guy like that.”

The whole video is pretty good but it was nice to hear from him what they think of Hill.

Personally, I have been wanting those traits inside at 3-technique for so long and I’m thrilled to finally get that kind of explosion inside. The fact that it is in a 310 pound package is even more exciting (I expect about 285-290 with that kind of athleticism). Add in his exceptional hustle and a clear love for the game and you have a guy made for this defense. The guy is going to make a big difference.

I can’t wait for the pads to come on.

Link:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/kris-richard-s-focus-falls-on-athleticism

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like what I'm hearing from Kris in regards to Westry being physical. Watching Westry at UK it didn't look like he wanted to or could get physical.

Mike Jackson is 210? That's a big dude at CB, then Richard is talking about him at nickel... I'll believe it when I see it but cool.

If haven't watched Trysten Hill's combine workout, check him out...Hill is ridiculous with the movement at 308 too...goodness.

Techsass

Reaction score
Kris has a way of always making me feel good about whatever it is talking about. That next step for the DBs is something we've all been looking for. I am pumped about Hill already, but he has me hoping I'm right.

Now all we need is for the actions on the field to match the speeches from the sidelines.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I only hope Marinelli and Richard don't scheme the Dline from getting wholly dominated in a game like the Rams playoff loss game. If that ever starts happening again in any game, gosh darnit, make the proper adjustments with plenty of time to hopefully help the offense win the game! :banghead:

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is a video from Dallas Cowboys.com of Kris Richard talking about the new DB’s he has this year. It’s really interesting to hear his take on the guys. Seems to like Mike Jackson a lot.

What I found most interesting though, was around the 2 min mark he is asked about why they took Trysten Hill in round 2 instead of one of the safeties they looked at so hard. He basically said that, “you win up front. It’s a big man’s game”. He goes on to say that Hill has “generational athleticism” and “freakish ability with regards to his athleticism”. He said that “it’s hard to pass on a guy like that.”

The whole video is pretty good but it was nice to hear from him what they think of Hill.

Personally, I have been wanting those traits inside at 3-technique for so long and I’m thrilled to finally get that kind of explosion inside. The fact that it is in a 310 pound package is even more exciting (I expect about 285-290 with that kind of athleticism). Add in his exceptional hustle and a clear love for the game and you have a guy made for this defense. The guy is going to make a big difference.

Link:

Too bad the NFL has outlawed the Oklahoma drill and bull in the closet...I'd love for Hill to have that aspect against the Dallas interior offensive line...!

Manster68

Reaction score
I really do love this draft for the Cowboys. This is especially true when the 1st round pick already has a return on investment. The pieces are falling into place for the Richard/Marinelli defense. Here's hoping Hill can become a 310 lb version of Randy White (the Real Manster).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To get a player like this at 58, at the end of the 2nd round is amazing. Yet, so many who cried for the Cowboys to get a DT for years opposed this pick. Makes zero sense to me.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Rut Roh.

I really hate hearing anything like "You take the talented big man before the talented smaller man." That is EXACTLY how the Portland Trailblazers took Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

You take the best damn player. Period.

MCMetal69

Reaction score

Link:

I hope you and Richard are spot on about Hill.........................That would make an already pretty good defense even better.................

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What I found most interesting though, was around the 2 min mark he is asked about why they took Trysten Hill in round 2 instead of one of the safeties they looked at so hard. He basically said that, “you win up front. It’s a big man’s game”.

Richards' secondary is designed to be cheap at CB. Bigger, longer, stronger usually comes a little cheaper because it gives up some agility and speed, the primary things everyone else is looking for.

I like hearing "it's a big man's game", particularly from the DB coach. The future looks like continued investment in the trenches.

Though the offensive line looks set for starters for the next 3 years. Giggity.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Who is playing 1 tech. Well I guess we really use two 3 techs. Gets us ran over sometimes. Hill and Collins in the middle perhaps...