Kris Richard on Trysten Hill and the new DB’s

InTheZone

Reaction score
To get a player like this at 58, at the end of the 2nd round is amazing. Yet, so many who cried for the Cowboys to get a DT for years opposed this pick. Makes zero sense to me.
I'm glad we made this pick. Been asking to draft a DT in the 1st since Laroi Glover was gone. Obviously this was not a first but our top pick. I'm not opposed to a 1st round dt next year either.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The Rams exposed us. The scheme has flaws. We need a grand champion in the trenches. But can Hill, a rookie, make that big of a difference? If he does he'll have my vote as D.R.O.Y.

The Rams exposed our coaching staff, we had "tells" and they keyed off of them. We were pretty solid in the run defense throughout the season but more talent on the dline can't hurt.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Hope we keep focusing on the trenches. If you look at the Eagles for example, Roseman has been GM since 2010, and I think he's had 9 first round picks in that time (gave one extra pick up for Carson Wentz). Seven of them have been spent on OLs and DLs, so Philly's just constantly been stocked with athletic big men up front.

I'm kind of hoping that we're now moving in the same direction. The last two years, we've passed up FSs (and both good ones... ugh) for linemen, and we double-dipped on linemen this year. When our board was pretty much wiped out in the 3rd and we were in a pick-anyone situation, we went with a lineman. I haven't always agreed with the players we've taken, but the emphasis on the trenches is clear to see.

visionary

Reaction score
To get a player like this at 58, at the end of the 2nd round is amazing. Yet, so many who cried for the Cowboys to get a DT for years opposed this pick. Makes zero sense to me.

Try to pay attention and it'll make sense

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Rut Roh.

I really hate hearing anything like "You take the talented big man before the talented smaller man." That is EXACTLY how the Portland Trailblazers took Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

You take the best damn player. Period.

I sorta understand what you're getting at however what Richard says applies much better to football where physicality up front is crucial.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Who is playing 1 tech. Well I guess we really use two 3 techs. Gets us ran over sometimes. Hill and Collins in the middle perhaps...

You really don't know this team huh? Antwain Woods came in and held down that 1 technique spot last year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rut Roh.

I really hate hearing anything like "You take the talented big man before the talented smaller man." That is EXACTLY how the Portland Trailblazers took Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

You take the best damn player. Period.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Sam Bowie couldn't rush the QB and Michael Jordan couldn't cover, Julio Jones.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yes, he could cover - on a basketball court. Covering on a basketball court crammed with 10 mostly very large men is different than sticking with a very fast man on a field 100 yards long and 53 yards wide.
I think he's on the wrong forum.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I hope they don’t have designs on putting Maleik Collins at 1-tech again; square peg, round hole.

It would be ideal to have Collins and Hill rotating, allowing them to stay fresh and have productive snaps.
I thought it was a travesty and really shows this defensive staff really struggles putting players in positions to succeed. The kid had 6 sacks at the 3t his first year then move him right after. So dumb

ShiningStar

Reaction score
its win win, the pick helps sell tickets, so if it doesnt work out, who cares.

if the pick works out, more clamouring about how great the team is. there is no wrong answer when the answers are different yes's.

Verdict

Reaction score

I personally prefer building trenches first. Trench players are harder to find.

I can’t speak for everyone, but the fact that he didn’t start his final year in college probably unnerves some posters.

I’m not against him. I’m just suggesting why some may not be all in on the pick.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
1. Trysten Hill has got “generational-type athleticism”
If you are still confused by the Cowboys decision to select defensive tackle Trysten Hill over the plethora of safeties that were still available at pick 58, then you might want to listen to defensive backs/passing game coordinator Kris Richard explain it. The Cowboys coach said that Hill’s got “generational-type athleticism, just freakish ability.” He said, “it’s hard to pass on a guy of that nature.” Richard continued, expressing “it’s a big man’s game” and that “it’s hard to pass up big for little.”

There is no denying the Cowboys place an emphasis on winning in the trenches. Besides using their top draft resource to grab Hill, three of the team’s six highest paid players are along the defensive line. The coaches love the upside Hill brings to this Cowboys defense.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...the-first-week-of-otas-for-the-dallas-cowboys