Kris Richard on Trysten Hill and the new DB’s

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That's what I'm doing too. I'm not concerning myself with any of the other 'issues' that have been brought up. I'm focusing on his tape. The good, the bad, and the ugly. The obvious natural athleticism and strength and the energy level and drive, and the lack of discipline and instincts, along with losing sight of the ball and taking himself out of plays and potentially undermining a defense.
That is why I don't expect to see him much on early downs where the run factors in more. He is not much on gap maintainence.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is why I don't expect to see him much on early downs where the run factors in more. He is not much on gap maintainence.

Same here, I totally agree with you. I expect to see him on long down and distance 'pass-rushing downs', where his responsibility is simply "go get the quarterback!"

At least until they get the other responsibilities down.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Rut Roh.

I really hate hearing anything like "You take the talented big man before the talented smaller man." That is EXACTLY how the Portland Trailblazers took Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

You take the best damn player. Period.

Who was the equivalent of Michael Jordan that we passed up at pick #58 in the 2nd round?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
anyone else seeing marinelli's name in here and wondering if he has to report to Richard on everything?

on Hill....I hope this isn't all hype...I am still surprised where they took him - there doesn't seem to be any other chatter about other teams wanting him that early....would he have lasted until our 3rd round pick??? we will never know - but methuselah "got his guy"

coach him up Kris

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He wasn’t fond of the safeties available at our second round pick I saw in few articles so not surprised about us going line. I’m excited overall to see how our defense fairs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Rams exposed us. The scheme has flaws. We need a grand champion in the trenches. But can Hill, a rookie, make that big of a difference? If he does he'll have my vote as D.R.O.Y.

I'm not sure that's being exposed. This scheme has always called for "a grand champion in the trenches." It's at its best when it has a 3-tech like Sapp or Henry Melton just dominating the line of scrimmage. That creates havoc that the other positions feed on. It's great having a dominant end like Lawrence, this defense needs that too, but it's predicated on the 3-tech play.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's being exposed. This scheme has always called for "a grand champion in the trenches." It's at its best when it has a 3-tech like Sapp or Henry Melton just dominating the line of scrimmage. That creates havoc that the other positions feed on. It's great having a dominant end like Lawrence, this defense needs that too, but it's predicated on the 3-tech play.
So y not just sign McCoy if we need pro bowl talent at that spot

gimmesix

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure when players are taken higher than the draft experts expect, it's because there's at least a few teams that are considering them in that range. I don't know how much talk there is among the scouts or scouting directors, but it wouldn't surprise me if they know that other teams are interested in a player.

The teams get mocked for taking them by fans and media who don't know any better IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So y not just sign McCoy if we need pro bowl talent at that spot

I would even though I'm not sure McCoy is Pro Bowl talent anymore.

Collins can't stay healthy and hasn't shown he's more than a rotational 3-tech. Crawford is also just a rotational 3-tech. Hyder might be a good pass rusher from the spot, and Covington might contribute at the position as a run-stopper who might be on par with Crawford and Collins as an interior pass rusher. However, our hopes of finding a dominant 3-tech really lie with Hill. If he fails, then we're left with contributors but no bell cow.

I'd get McCoy as a transitional player for the position. We can either give up Collins, possibly getting something for him in the trade, or cut Crawford and his high salary, which would make room for the move. My only hesitation with letting Crawford, though, is that he's a solid player who has often filled in admirably when others were injured or proved unworthy. He's not great, but he's a good piece to have, even though the cost is too high. I'd probably still end up cutting him, but I'd wait until near the end of camp to do it to make sure we don't need him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Nagy is an 18 year scout that now runs the senior bowl.
That's nice. I am aware of who he is.

That still does not address the fact that Simmons and Tillery went in quick succession after Wilkins and then it was thirty picks until we took Hill.

That is pretty much a full round. But hey, he was viewed just like or higher than Wilkins. Or something.