Kris Richard on Trysten Hill and the new DB’s

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a video from Dallas Cowboys.com of Kris Richard talking about the new DB’s he has this year. It’s really interesting to hear his take on the guys. Seems to like Mike Jackson a lot.

What I found most interesting though, was around the 2 min mark he is asked about why they took Trysten Hill in round 2 instead of one of the safeties they looked at so hard. He basically said that, “you win up front. It’s a big man’s game”. He goes on to say that Hill has “generational athleticism” and “freakish ability with regards to his athleticism”. He said that “it’s hard to pass on a guy like that.”

The whole video is pretty good but it was nice to hear from him what they think of Hill.

Personally, I have been wanting those traits inside at 3-technique for so long and I’m thrilled to finally get that kind of explosion inside. The fact that it is in a 310 pound package is even more exciting (I expect about 285-290 with that kind of athleticism). Add in his exceptional hustle and a clear love for the game and you have a guy made for this defense. The guy is going to make a big difference.

I can’t wait for the pads to come on.

Link:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/kris-richard-s-focus-falls-on-athleticism

I just hope that they can give Hill more of a plan out there on the field. Too many times he looked lost and didn't know where the ball was going. Power and athleticism are great, but I think he needs more film and technique work.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope they don’t have designs on putting Maleik Collins at 1-tech again; square peg, round hole.

It would be ideal to ya e Collins and Hill rotating, allowing them to stay fresh and have productive snaps.
Collins might be the better player right now, so I think we will be seeing alot of him. I think Hill has more upside than Collins ever did. But Collins is a tailor made 3 Tech in our DL scheme

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Makes it sound like we got the top DT to come out in the last 10 years.
Sounds like a lot of chatter to justify what might be a mild reach for a player that Marinelli got overly attached to.

Rayman70

Reaction score
just need a HC and proven play caller and all will be good. OH that's right.....:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins might be the better player right now, so I think we will be seeing alot of him. I think Hill has more upside than Collins ever did. But Collins is a tailor made 3 Tech in our DL scheme

And - like the other guy named Collins - he's in a contract year set to hit free agency next year and possibly the one big payday of his life. There's never a better time for all of these guys to play the best season of their lives and have career years prior to hitting free agency in 2020. I think the Cowboys, and Stephen Jones in particular, are aware of that and trying to use that increased motivation to their advantage.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like a lot of chatter to justify what might be a mild reach for a player that Marinelli got overly attached to.

It could certainly be that as well. One thing is for certain, Hill is Marinelli's pet project, and the first significant draft pick that he's had to work with. He got "his guy". The onus is now clearly on Marinelli to do something with this young man and show everyone what he sees in him.

Alexander

Reaction score
I just hope that they can give Hill more of a plan out there on the field. Too many times he looked lost and didn't know where the ball was going. Power and athleticism are great, but I think he needs more film and technique work.
They took his one impressive trait and look to build off that. Thing is, that quickness off the snap can and will be used against him in this league. Like a quick edge rusher who can get off the ball, the ability to adjust while moving and having a rush plan will be his major hurdle. He often was chasing down plays as he was figuring them out on the fly. He got benched and became a role player because he was not dependable just as much as it was something personal like they make out.

Alexander

Reaction score
It could certainly be that as well. One thing is for certain, Hill is Marinelli's pet project, and the first significant draft pick that he's had to work with. He got "his guy". The onus is now clearly on Marinelli to do something with this young man and show everyone what he sees in him.
It is going to be a real project. I have a feeling it will take a good bit of time before he is ready for a full time role. Wouldn't shock me if Wise outplays him at first.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They took his one impressive trait and look to build off that. Thing is, that quickness off the snap can and will be used against him in this league. Like a quick edge rusher who can get off the ball, the ability to adjust while moving and having a rush plan will be his major hurdle. He often was chasing down plays as he was figuring them out on the fly. He got benched and became a role player because he was not dependable just as much as it was something personal like they make out.

Essentially, they have to take a great athlete and try to turn him into a football player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is going to be a real project. I have a feeling it will take a good bit of time before he is ready for a full time role. Wouldn't shock me if Wise outplays him at first.

I'm not expecting a lot from him this year. I think they'll give Maliek Collins the opportunity to have a career year on his way out, while trying to get Hill fundamentally sound and ready to take over in 2020.

Pants

Reaction score
anyone else seeing marinelli's name in here and wondering if he has to report to Richard on everything?

on Hill....I hope this isn't all hype...I am still surprised where they took him - there doesn't seem to be any other chatter about other teams wanting him that early....would he have lasted until our 3rd round pick??? we will never know - but methuselah "got his guy"

coach him up Kris

Alexander

Reaction score
Essentially, they have to take a great athlete and try to turn him into a football player.

This is by and large considered his best collegiate game. Whenever he was up against their RG Dustin Woodard with single blocks, but he beat the kid off on almost every snap. When they decided to give him help, he was negated, although he was very active every play.

I guess that is why Marinelli loves him so much. Like a little Tazmanian Devil spinning around, arms and legs everywhere.

Alexander

Reaction score
I am still surprised where they took him - there doesn't seem to be any other chatter about other teams wanting him that early
That is probably because nobody fell in love with him like Marinelli did.

You can just tell from their comments that they wanted him badly and talked themselves into taking him where they did. That is pretty much a dead giveaway where his stock was. It was a mild reach that really only bothers me because we did leave better secondary players on the board to take him. If the safeties were gone, this would probably be an easier pill to swallow.

The devil is in the details though. All you have to do is listen to what everyone in the organization has said since the draft ended. Normally, you hear teams just remark about their luck in getting their guy, they couldn't believe he was still there, blah blah blah. Most of the commentary from the Cowboys has been we wanted him and didn't want to lose him etc.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is by and large considered his best collegiate game. Whenever he was up against their RG Dustin Woodard with single blocks, but he beat the kid off on almost every snap. When they decided to give him help, he was negated, although he was very active every play.

I guess that is why Marinelli loves him so much. Like a little Tazmanian Devil spinning around, arms and legs everywhere.

It's funny you brought up them Memphis tape, I watched a combine video last night and someone mentioned his "Memphis tape", so I went and looked it up. Yeah, he was a force out there, but again, he looked like an uncontrolled force. A bull in a china shop and a chicken with his head cut off, either making plays or running himself completely out of them. He appeared to have little to no plan of attack and often times simply lost track of where the ball was and took himself way out of plays. If he's does that at this level, he won't play much.

That lack of discipline in his game may have been the reason why he wasn't actually a starter last year. If you can't trust the guy to do what he's supposed to do within your defense, and perform his responsibilities within it, you can't trust him to be on the field.

Pants

Reaction score

You can just tell from their comments that they wanted him badly and talked themselves into taking him where they did. That is pretty much a dead giveaway where his stock was. It was a mild reach that really only bothers me because we did leave better secondary players on the board to take him. If the safeties were gone, this would probably be an easier pill to swallow.

The devil is in the details though. All you have to do is listen to what everyone in the organization has said since the draft ended. Normally, you hear teams just remark about their luck in getting their guy, they couldn't believe he was still there, blah blah blah. Most of the commentary from the Cowboys has been we wanted him and didn't want to lose him etc.

correct, all of the cowboys chatter is that they wanted him first and foremost - they has their shot at a few safeties...so, I am reserving judgment until I see him in a game to see if that generational explosion is there - do we have the next Donald? or do we have a rotational guy that takes a while to make any impact? the more I see on Hill, I see why they wanted him instead of the safeties - Hill could start, the safeties that they could have drafted? hard to say; and a DT can impact more plays than a safety

Alexander

Reaction score
It's funny you brought up them Memphis tape, I watched a combine video last night and someone mentioned his "Memphis tape", so I went and looked it up. Yeah, he was a force out there, but again, he looked like an uncontrolled force. A bull in a china shop and a chicken with his head cut off, either making plays or running himself completely out of them. He appeared to have little to no plan of attack and often times simply lost track of where the ball was and took himself way out of plays. If he's does that at this level, he won't play much.

That lack of discipline in his game may have been the reason why he wasn't actually a starter last year. If you can't trust the guy to do what he's supposed to do within your defense, and perform his responsibilities within it, you can't trust him to be on the field.
But the focus was on his personality traits causing his lack of snaps and that he was missing his coach and so on. You can just trust your eyes here. Oozes potential, but clearly not a polished product.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they had two picks like that, where they went against the consensus views and rankings to get 'their guys'. And that's with Hill in round two and Pollard in round four. I think for the most part, they stuck to their board and took solid players that fit their measurables and requirements in the draft, but overdrafted both Hill and Pollard a bit because they fell in love with the players.

And now we wait and see if that 'overdrafting' pays off or hurts them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the focus was on his personality traits causing his lack of snaps and that he was missing his coach and so on. You can just trust your eyes here. Oozes potential, but clearly not a polished product.

That's what I'm doing too. I'm not concerning myself with any of the other 'issues' that have been brought up. I'm focusing on his tape. The good, the bad, and the ugly. The obvious natural athleticism and strength and the energy level and drive, and the lack of discipline and instincts, along with losing sight of the ball and taking himself out of plays and potentially undermining a defense.