Kyler Murray not expect to play w/o a new deal

Flamma

Reaction score
look at the names you mentioned. absolutely the very best at their positions.... thats why I said he isnt worth opening up that vault over.

Look, I agree with your point. But anyone can get an extension after their first 3 years. I only have a problem with people that say they're getting an extension early. There is no such thing as an early extension. Most players, if not all, get their extension with one year left on their contract, like you said. But you have to ignore the 5th year option. It doesn't play a role with players you know you want to keep. You extend them after 3 years, 5th year option or not.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? Dude, at least do your homework. Any player can be extended after 3 years. Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, all extended after 3 years. Herbert and Burrow will be extended after this upcoming season. With 2 years left!! Diggs will be extended after this upcoming season. Wait for it. Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, on and on and on. The 5th year option plays no roll. It's 3 years for an extension, end of story. If not, then the team has doubts.

Let me ask you something. When a player gets extended, do you know they still have to play out the remainder of their rookie deal?
Extending is for security for the player and a stamp of approval from ownership.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Guy has potential. He's being held back by the cardinals. I'm not saying you bench Dak for him, but how about we bring him in to give Dak some actual competition? If Murray wins, great. If Dak wins then that must mean Dak proved more capable. Competition is good.
ok,ok.... sometimes I read stuff that absolutely makes the point on how little some posters understand.

So let me get this straight.... a QB that is going to sign a deal thats for more than 40 million per season, you think you bring in to kick the tires and take a looksie? Just bring him so he can compete with Dak? So we are gonna have 2 40 million dollar QBs on the same roster?

cmon man, what kind of nonsense are you saying? Did you mean something else?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
look at the names you mentioned. absolutely the very best at their positions.... thats why I said he isnt worth opening up that vault over.
It's not about them as much as the price to play with the QB. Is Carr worth 41.5M a year?

These teams have two options, grow their own like the Jets and Browns have been doing or do what the Browns finally did, pony up for a more proven player. The Broncos decided to go back to that vet well a second time.

Murray is just like Prescott and Carr, he is good but is he good enough? And do they run the risk of changing and not getting as good?

The difference in Tier 1 and Tier 3 is a huge difference. I think CLE thought Mayfield is a 3 so they were willing to take the chance, same with DEN and Lock. Tier 2's are all going to get 40M a year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Extending is for security for the player and a stamp of approval from ownership.

Of course. Security for both money and against injury. But if you go back to the first or second post, someone tweeted that Murray was unlikely to play on a deal paying him 5.5M. Which would lead someone to believe he wants a completely new deal worked out. That is not the case. Very misleading tweet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guy has potential. He's being held back by the cardinals. I'm not saying you bench Dak for him, but how about we bring him in to give Dak some actual competition? If Murray wins, great. If Dak wins then that must mean Dak proved more capable. Competition is good.
First off, he wants at least what Prescot is getting paid.

Secondly, the only reason Kingsbury is there is for Murray, he isn't holding him back, he is tied to him. I do not think a lot of him as a HC but he is superior to anything the Cowboys have for a QBC.

No team is wacky enough to re-create the Morton-Staubach cluster of Landry's in the 70's. And the Cowboys were not even willing to let Romo compete against Prescott. He is the Chosen One.

Flamma

Reaction score
The difference in Tier 1 and Tier 3 is a huge difference. I think CLE thought Mayfield is a 3 so they were willing to take the chance, same with DEN and Lock. Tier 2's are all going to get 40M a year.

I'm pretty sure Baker was offered an under market value contract after his 3rd season. He refused it. The details were posted in the thread about him.

I also think people use tier 3 too loosely. Do you believe he is tier 3? I think he's a solid, middle of the road tier two QB. To me tier 3 is like Drew Lock, Geno Smith, guys like that. I'd even add Jalen Hurts to that list.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course. Security for both money and against injury. But if you go back to the first or second post, someone tweeted that Murray was unlikely to play on a deal paying him 5.5M. Which would lead someone to believe he wants a completely new deal worked out. That is not the case. Very misleading tweet.
All about the guarantee and up front dough. Prescott made about 70M last season.

I would like to see one of these Tier 1/2 QB's truly get to that FA point when they can deal with anyone. That would be fun to see.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure Baker was offered an under market value contract after his 3rd season. He refused it. The details were posted in the thread about him.

I also think people use tier 3 too loosely. Do you believe he is tier 3? I think he's a solid, middle of the road tier two QB. To me tier 3 is like Drew Lock, Geno Smith, guys like that. I'd even add Jalen Hurts to that list.
He is definitely Tier 3 to me, he had an excellent run game, WR's and a defense and could not get it done.

He is also still available for the taking and no team seems to be kicking the tires. But, unlike the other QB's, he comes with some baggage like Cutler did and Jeff George.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Look, I agree with your point. But anyone can get an extension after their first 3 years. I only have a problem with people that say they're getting an extension early. There is no such thing as an early extension. Most players, if not all, get their extension with one year left on their contract, like you said. But you have to ignore the 5th year option. It doesn't play a role with players you know you want to keep. You extend them after 3 years, 5th year option or not.

Lamar Jackson is playing under the 5th year option. He has COMPLETED 4 full seasons and no extension. IM not 100% sure the reason why. The way the cap is increasing along with these new QB deals, it could be his agent thinking playing under the 5th year option is not a bad deal since Lamar is going to get a **** ton of money on his new deal.

with the exception of the true STARS, Sure... the no brainer superstars..... but there is obviously some friction going on in Az with Kyler.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 5th year option exercised is what sent Elliott spinning into a holdout. And according to some sources, they knew that from his agent before hand.

That 5th year on a RB can be a real difference maker in the shortest lived occupation in the game.

Flamma

Reaction score
He is definitely Tier 3 to me, he had an excellent run game, WR's and a defense and could not get it done.

He is also still available for the taking and no team seems to be kicking the tires. But, unlike the other QB's, he comes with some baggage like Cutler did and Jeff George.

Well, we have a different definition of a tier 3 QB. I think Tim Tebow is tier 3, not Baker Mayfield. But that's ok.